The Student Room Group

Accommodation won’t let pay in instalments

I’ve stayed at an accommodation for the past two years and for final year in uni I was hoping to stay for final year at the same accommodation but when I had asked for a contract for the next year I was told that I would have to pay the full amount of rent if I wanted to stay here.

I was told this as I had delayed some of my payments of rent due to student finance getting paid on different dates and also some financial struggles during the year but I had managed to pay every thing off a month after the payment was due.

I was then told when enquiring about my contract for the new year that I would have to pay for the full instalment of rent all at once if I wanted to stay here for the next year. I wouldn’t be able to pay for the full amount with instalments at a time and I don’t think they’re willing to change their mind. I’m really stuck on what I should do, I’m not willing to move anywhere else as the rent is really cheap, I have all my stuff here already and all my friends live here. Any suggestions on what I could say to them to change their mind?
Original post by Kelvin080801
I’ve stayed at an accommodation for the past two years and for final year in uni I was hoping to stay for final year at the same accommodation but when I had asked for a contract for the next year I was told that I would have to pay the full amount of rent if I wanted to stay here.

I was told this as I had delayed some of my payments of rent due to student finance getting paid on different dates and also some financial struggles during the year but I had managed to pay every thing off a month after the payment was due.

I was then told when enquiring about my contract for the new year that I would have to pay for the full instalment of rent all at once if I wanted to stay here for the next year. I wouldn’t be able to pay for the full amount with instalments at a time and I don’t think they’re willing to change their mind. I’m really stuck on what I should do, I’m not willing to move anywhere else as the rent is really cheap, I have all my stuff here already and all my friends live here. Any suggestions on what I could say to them to change their mind?

They clearly aren't as casual as you seem to be about the fact that you "had delayed some of my payments of rent due", and aren't prepared to risk getting paid late (or potentially not at all) next year too.

Is there a family member (perhaps a parent) who could loan you the full amount, and whom you'd pay back in installments? If not, you could approach a bank, but I suspect they'd be just as nervous about getting paid back as your landlord is.

Alternatively, perhaps you could offer to pay them partially in advance. So in month 1 you'd pay them for months 1, 2, and 3. In month 2 you'd pay them for month 4. In month 3 you'd pay them for month 5, etc. That way, they'd always be holding two months' advance rent, so even if you were late again, then as long as you "managed to pay every thing off a month after the payment was due" - as you have in the past - then you'd never really be late as they'd be holding that advance rent anyway. Could that work?

You mention that the reason for paying your rent late is, in part, "due to student finance getting paid on different dates". Have your friends not had those same issues? How have they coped?
Reply 2
It will be difficult to get them to reconsider as you have a record of poor payment. You could try explaining your previous difficulties and why they won’t happen again. Or offer to set up a monthly direct debit so you pay regularly in advance, or offer to pay the year in two instalments. Also worth speaking to your SU for some advice and maybe support. Failing that can you borrow and pay back from relatives or a bank
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending