The Student Room Group

Breakthrough bleeding on the pill? Is this normal or could I be pregnant?

I'm on Cilest and about halfway through my pack of pills. I missed one about six days ago (this might be why this is happening) and since then even though I've taken the others very punctually I've been bleeding. But not proper bleeding, a kind of brown/black discharge almost which is really gross. My boyfriend and I usually use a condom as well as the pil, although perhaps once a week we'll go without. Reassure me that this is normal and ok?
A) I hope you both had STI tests before you started not using condoms.
And B) If you don't bleed next time you should do, then it might be worth taking a pregnancy test, you can get one from your local CASH clinic, or Boots do them for like £3, it's probably nothing, but better safe than sorry.
Best wishes, whatever happens :smile:
Reply 2
Antimatter
A) I hope you both had STI tests before you started not using condoms.

We're each other's first sexual partners, so I doubt there's an awful lot of likelihood there... but thanks!
Anonymous
We're each other's first sexual partners, so I doubt there's an awful lot of likelihood there... but thanks!

You can never tell, and stuff like Herpes, I think, can be contracted through non sexual contact. Seriously, you can never be too careful!
Reply 4
How long have you been on the pill? People sometimes have spotting as their body gets used to it. I doubt it means you're pregnant though.

After a quick bit of searching to make sure: "Breakthrough bleeding is not uncommon on pills. It can be from missing a pill or two or taking them at different times in the day, but it also occurs for no reason at all. My rule-of-thumb is to change the brand of the pill if it happens 3 cycles in a row."
Reply 5
Anonymous

How long have you been on the pill without taking the break? How heavy are your normal periods? Do you take it dead on the same time every day?

I have usually v heavy periods, I took it 5 months in a row, and I was an hour or so off with the time, I got breakthrough bleeding. I went to the doc worried something was wrong, and she told me it was because of the above, she said it even sometimes happens spontaneously. She said just take a break you'll have your normal period and you'll be fine when you go back on (no bleeding.) But yeah, just take a break at the end of this packet, get suspicious if there is no bleeding then. :biggrin:
Antimatter
You can never tell, and stuff like Herpes, I think, can be contracted through non sexual contact. Seriously, you can never be too careful!

Yeah, this. OP if your boyfriend happened to kiss someone who had herpes whilst the sore on their lips was open, they can contract herpes this way.
It is relatively normal I think if you miss a pill, and sometimes it's just what happens - bodies are funny things. I wouldn't worry.
That said, I know you've said you're each other's first partners but seriously, get a check up.
I had the same symptom and it was because of Chlamydia.
I never would have thought in a million years I'd have it but it just goes to show.
Reply 8
Jelephant
How long have you been on the pill? People sometimes have spotting as their body gets used to it. I doubt it means you're pregnant though.

After a quick bit of searching to make sure: "Breakthrough bleeding is not uncommon on pills. It can be from missing a pill or two or taking them at different times in the day, but it also occurs for no reason at all. My rule-of-thumb is to change the brand of the pill if it happens 3 cycles in a row."

Rep for you, for indulging my laziness! thank you - I have been on the pill several years.. I think it might be because I missed one a while ago, it's just a total drag is all. Still, pregnancy scare averted!
Clements-
Yeah, this. OP if your boyfriend happened to kiss someone who had herpes whilst the sore on their lips was open, they can contract herpes this way.

I never understand this. If you're going to cheat, surely you'd not do it with someone who had a mouthful of sores! :lolwut:

He's right though OP, however spotting is normal if you miss a pill. Aslong as it doesn't continue for too long and isn't too heavy, you should be fine.
Reply 10
Yeah breakthrough bleeding is completely normal - aslong as you ain't gushing (excuse the grotesque image) it's fine....spotting is nothing. Yes it is one of the signs of early pregnancy but you have to remember you're a young girl so when you think "oh crap I might be pregnant" reel in the paranoia about whether you are or not because if you're on the pill....likelihood is you aren't.

If you find yourself missing pills frequently (as i did) there's alternatives which don't need as much remembering.

Personally I'm on the patch and I adore it....steady supply of hormones avoids the peaks and dips of levels you get daily on the pill....my body is silly sensitive to hormones. Only thing is you have to keep your bmi in the healthy range (not a problem for most people on here probs) or it doesn't work...
oo_Lucinda_oo
I never understand this. If you're going to cheat, surely you'd not do it with someone who had a mouthful of sores! :lolwut:

He's right though OP, however spotting is normal if you miss a pill. Aslong as it doesn't continue for too long and isn't too heavy, you should be fine.

I'm not saying he's cheated. He could've done it before they were together. I wouldn't really count someone I've kissed as a 'sexual partner' TBH.
Clements-
I'm not saying he's cheated. He could've done it before they were together. I wouldn't really count someone I've kissed as a 'sexual partner' TBH.

I wasn't talking about the OP's partner, I was talking about people who do cheat...

And also, when did I say anything about a sexual partner? :lolwut:
oo_Lucinda_oo
I wasn't talking about the OP's partner, I was talking about people who do cheat...

And also, when did I say anything about a sexual partner? :lolwut:

Oh right. Cos you said about cheating, I assumed you meant with them and since the OP said they'd each had no previous sexual partner, it could've been implied that they never even kissed anyone previously :rofl2:
Clements-
Oh right. Cos you said about cheating, I assumed you meant with them and since the OP said they'd each had no previous sexual partner, it could've been implied that they never even kissed anyone previously :rofl2:

Ohh I see :p:
Reply 15
hi i am having kind of the same problem i have been on the pill microgynogon for about 10 months and have been fine all the way along this month just 4 or 5 days before im due to have my week break i have had some spotting only light and generally at night can anyone help me?? i am a bit of a worryer
Original post by thenewromance1234

Herpes simplex viruses -- more commonly known as herpes -- are categorized into two types: herpestype 1 (HSV-1, or oral herpes) andherpes type 2 (HSV-2, or genital herpes). Most commonly, herpes type 1 causes sores around the mouth and lips (sometimes called fever blisters or cold sores). And cold sores are common amongst almost anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending