Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Victoria Point -Private Halls

Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhforever)
    :mad:

It looks pretty decent though. Why do you discouraged for us not to go there then?
    Yep, it was pretty decent. All brand new and that. That was actually the root of the problems the year I lived there though - nothing was finished when we first moved in. We had to pay for expensive internet and it only got installed 5 weeks after everyone moved in, there was no reception (unless you count a portakabin which nobody was ever in - getting parcels was a nightmare), there were builders everywhere, doors were always left open and it just didn't feel finished or safe in general.

I expect it's much different now the teething problems are over, though I expect it's also a lot more expensive (we paid £73 and £76 a week all inclusive when we lived there - for that money even with the problems it was a bargain)... Now I've seen what else you can get for your money in Manchester I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

does anyone have any pictures of the 'plus' rooms with a lounge?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live across the road from Victoria Point and now its finished it looks good, have made a few friends with people there and they have no complaints, if I don't find a houseshare for sept '13 after my placement I think that's where I'll be headed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    uncomfortable mattress and paper thin walls are the biggest cons.

I would recommend living or asking to be put with UoM students, as MMU finishes earlier and then they get noisy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Is anyone moving here this september?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm thinking of moving to Victoria point in September... has anyone got any photo's or could tell me what the size of the classic or classic plus bedrooms are please?.. And also what is the social life like here? x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hello ...anyone living here this year?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizzl8)
    hello ...anyone living here this year?
    I am
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiile)
    I am
    woop...you lived here before?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    woop...you lived here before?
    Nope was staying at cosmo on grafton street last year but heard good things about Vp so decided to move there. Hbu?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope was staying at cosmo on grafton street last year but heard good things about Vp so decided to move there. Hbu?
    nah first time im moving out ...u got a lounge flat?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nah first time im moving out ...u got a lounge flat?
    I friggin wish! Thats the only thing I dont like about Vp. Do you know who your living with and what block your in?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I friggin wish! Thats the only thing I dont like about Vp. Do you know who your living with and what block your in?
    i have no idea ..room 87c ...you ? did u ask for mixed? yeah im gonna request for one ..highly unlikely they will give me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Victoria Point 2011 -2012. I Regret it and wished I'd stayed in university halls.

First of all, the positives. The maintenance guys were good and fixed things promptly. There is underground parking in the basement.

Now the negatives. The oven was pretty basic and the hobs were those that take ages to heat up then cool down very slowly making it difficult to cook easily. The bathroom and kitchen extractor fans were poor. There were washing machines in the basement but these somehow managed to do a wash in 25 minutes and had no separate fabric conditioner dispenser.

The biggest problem was that the walls between the rooms allowed noise to transfer very easily. Even if you kept your voice down you could still be heard in the next room. The flats don't seem to have been designed for the purpose of accommodating students in individually rented rooms - there are switches on the wall in the kitchen for a dishwasher and washing machine but neither of these appliances. It seemed to me that they had been built to sell or rent as 2 bed flats with a living room but the company had decided to rent to students instead. My flatmate would often get back in the early hours of the morning. At first, I thought it was his fault for waking me up. Then I realised that it wasn't his fault, it was the very poor construction quality of the buildings that was mostly to blame. The noise from other students in other blocks at night was loud. Sometimes what would happen would be that they would make noise with loud music then get told off by the security guy when someone complained, go outside and deliberately talk loudly and shout to annoy the people who had just complained under the pretence of going outside to smoke. I could not have my window open at night and expect to sleep for very long.

There were many days that were a write off where I had to try to sleep during the morning because I hadn't been able to sleep at night.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone living there this year? I'm thinking of applying this September, and am planning to book a viewing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slaughterthedaises)
    Anyone living there this year? I'm thinking of applying this September, and am planning to book a viewing.

Hey, yeah i've just got a place at Victoria Point. It's cheap for private halls and it looks alright, might as well
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soundmate22)
    Hey, yeah i've just got a place at Victoria Point. It's cheap for private halls and it looks alright, might as well
    I'm moving here this year, after reading the reviews I'm absolutely dreading it. :/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2014
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.