The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Free Health Cover! What does that mean?

I'm an international student holding an unconditional offer for LLB Law starting in September 2009.

I know I'm entitled to free health cover from UCL/NHS, whatever.. but what medical expenses are actually covered?! like is there any cover for emergency services and/or hospitalization in case of accidents or some illness.. what about common cold or flu?

Should I personally arrange for medical insurance? any suggestions regarding the kind of policies I should be looking for or where I can get them?
what do other international students plan on doing?

Thanks for reading.. would appreciate some help :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Symphony7
I'm an international student holding an unconditional offer for LLB Law starting in September 2009.

I know I'm entitled to free health cover from UCL/NHS, whatever.. but what medical expenses are actually covered?! like is there any cover for emergency services and/or hospitalization in case of accidents or some illness.. what about common cold or flu?

Should I personally arrange for medical insurance? any suggestions regarding the kind of policies I should be looking for or where I can get them?
what do other international students plan on doing?

Thanks for reading.. would appreciate some help :smile:

I believe if you are staying here for study atleast 6 months then the NHS (rather stupidly) hands out free health care to people who haven't made the necessary tax contributions. Emergency treatment is available from the moment you arrive, as well it should be.

Health insurance, I am informed, will not be necessary, though dentistry and optometry are grey areas.
Reply 3
Thank you guys :smile:
I'm wont't be studying at UCL, but I had to work myself trough this stuff yesterday.

Where are you from?
From the moment you arrive in the UK, you're eligible for the same treatment by the NHS like any other person who's ordinarily resident - accident and health. There are some NHS dentists - but not many. Otherwise you have to pay for dentists and opticians, from what a friend told me, she's paying about £20 onwards.
With every prescription you've got to pay £7.20.

I was told that NHS is ok, but you can organise private insurance as well.

At our university, we have access to a doctor, organised by the university for the first term, but you need to arrange your own GP afterwards.

I for mine are happy with the NHS, I'm rarely ill, so I just leave it.
Reply 5
JenniferRebecca

There are some NHS dentists - but not many. Otherwise you have to pay for dentists and opticians, from what a friend told me, she's paying about £20 onwards.

You have to pay for all dentistry and optical fees when you're over 19. The difference between NHS and private medical care is simply the cost. NHS dentist treatments cost a lot less, but they're still not free. With opticians, you have to pay for everything but obviously there's much less to pay for there, beyond check ups and actual glasses or lenses.
Oh, you're right! I haven't seen that, thank you. :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending