The Student Room Group

Repeating a Year Again due to Health

Hi, I have quite a specific question about student finance and repeat years - I couldn't find an answer online and would be grateful for some advice.

My timeline is:

I started my first year of an undergraduate degree in 2021 and completed half of the year, then took an interruption of studies (IOS) for the remainder of the year due to health.

Rather than continuing exactly a year later, I repeated year 1 in 2022-2023.

My university did not charge a tuition fee for the IOS period and I have repaid the maintenance loan for the IOS period which was overpaid (so, put simply, student finance has only covered half of that year in both tuition and maintenance loans. The rest was an IOS and student finance has not paid anything for this period).

I have just finished year 1 and my exams haven't gone well due to my health and I have resits coming up. My university has offered me a repeat of year 1 if I don't pass the resits.

Would student finance cover this if I was to repeat year 1 again? On health grounds?

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded post!
Original post by Natalia165
Hi, I have quite a specific question about student finance and repeat years - I couldn't find an answer online and would be grateful for some advice.

My timeline is:

I started my first year of an undergraduate degree in 2021 and completed half of the year, then took an interruption of studies (IOS) for the remainder of the year due to health.

Rather than continuing exactly a year later, I repeated year 1 in 2022-2023.

My university did not charge a tuition fee for the IOS period and I have repaid the maintenance loan for the IOS period which was overpaid (so, put simply, student finance has only covered half of that year in both tuition and maintenance loans. The rest was an IOS and student finance has not paid anything for this period).

I have just finished year 1 and my exams haven't gone well due to my health and I have resits coming up. My university has offered me a repeat of year 1 if I don't pass the resits.

Would student finance cover this if I was to repeat year 1 again? On health grounds?

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded post!

Hi there,

Can you clarify if you attended 3 years or 2 (this includes the year you stopped part way through)?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

Can you clarify if you attended 3 years or 2 (this includes the year you stopped part way through)?

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

I've attended 2 years, including the one I stopped part way through.
Hi Clare,

I've attended 2 years, including the one I stopped part way through.

Hi Natalia,

You would need to provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you were unable to complete the last year, otherwise you would need to self fund the Tuition Fees yourself for the repeat year. Acceptable evidence would be a letter from a professional 3rd party such as your GP or university, that confirms what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Natalia,

You would need to provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you were unable to complete the last year, otherwise you would need to self fund the Tuition Fees yourself for the repeat year. Acceptable evidence would be a letter from a professional 3rd party such as your GP or university, that confirms what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies.

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

Thank you very much for your response. Does that mean evidence for why I took the IOS last year or evidence for why I was unable to pass this year (after the IOS), hence potentially needing to repeat?
Hi Clare,

Thank you very much for your response. Does that mean evidence for why I took the IOS last year or evidence for why I was unable to pass this year (after the IOS), hence potentially needing to repeat?

Hi Natalia, The evidence to confirm the reason to repeat. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending