The Student Room Group

a little help..

ive tried reading through a bunch of threads but each to their own.. so kinda hard to relate to other peoples situations...
well ive decided to do law (probably more my dad or w/e but im happy to do it)
i got 3 A*, 6 As (and a D in art *cough* which we wont mention)
which is probably a bit low compared to most on these boards ._.
(was close to getting 3 As ---> A*s but thats what happens when your lazy...)
for AS level im studying Maths, chemistry, history and economics (dropping hist end of this year..) a nice mix i personally think :P
i think i should be predicted 3 As for A level...
ive even got a few weeks work experiance for the summer :biggrin:

now i kinda need to choose all my universities...
Oxford (if you get in its like winning the lottery, if not meh no big deal)
Warwick
Durham
Nottingham
those are the 4 i think i definatly want to apply to... but not sure which other 2... (dont really want to go to a Uni in London..)
so any advice on other 2?
also i think im applying more on reputation than if i like... bad idea? meh but i got confused about open day timing and just forgot basically :rolleyes:
but im flexible and can normally fit in well anywhere so its cool :P

just wondering about my last 2 choices, should i apply somewhere a bit lower down in ranking so i dont get rejected completely :P or is it not really worth getting a degree from somewhere crappy since law is so competitive?
and with my kinda grades am i aiming too high?
thanks for any help in advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I would apply to Manchester, and have one uni as a back up. If you are confident of getting AAA, then perhaps Sheffield...whilst their offer is likely to be AAA, they are easier to get into than the other unis that you've chosen. If not a uni like UEA, Essex, Exeter or Liverpool would be worth considering.

If you dont like Manchester (youd be mad not to), then Bristol is also an excellent law school!

Your grades, whilst by no means outstanding, are good enough to apply to the top law schools with, especially if you are prepared to get 3As at A level, and at least as many at AS (although 4 As at AS, and you will almost certainly be heading to 1 of your top 5 EXCELLENT unis!).
Reply 2
Bristol. Bristol for certain.
Reply 3
QMUL or UEA are usually good insurance bets for Law - they have good reputations in the field but aren't as competative as the top 5. Having said that, it's near impossible to get places at either during clearing...
Reply 4
hmm well i thought manchester does more practical styled teaching? (well i heard that for medicine..) i think id prefer book learning ._. not sure though...
i was thinking bristol maybe but dont know much about it at all *goes to bristol site*
i was thinking probably Sheffield since its near home... (i live in Notts)
Reply 5
No University gives you significant practically based teaching for law.
I believe the BVC and LPC give you the practical skills you need...
Reply 7
Phonicsdude
I believe the BVC and LPC give you the practical skills you need...

And according to some that's debatable! :wink:

Go and get yourself as much mooting and mini-pupilage style experience as you can. Nothing can really prepare you for your first case, or having to wear horse hair! :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 8
oh ok...
having a look, though Bristol seems nice it seems really far from Notts o.o..
i think ill add Sheffield to the list :smile:
for my last one should i bother looking at something which will require a lower grade entry to be safe? or do you need to go down the ranking a lot to even get there?
Reply 9
Remember, when selecting 'lower ranking' unis that just because a newspaper puts them below another doesn't mean that they're bad. Some have fantastic employment rates, and what a new student and a potential employer look for in terms of your uni choice are often two very different things...
Reply 10
oh another question is; is it only for Oxbridge where you have to choose the college your going to apply to? how do people choose which one they apply to?
Reply 11
sarforaz
oh another question is; is it only for Oxbridge where you have to choose the college your going to apply to? how do people choose which one they apply to?

It really depends - some people apply to the College they like, others apply to the College that has the best reputation for that subject (very competative!), others apply to the least competative College to boost their odds of getting a place), others just make an 'open' application and let the fates do their work!
sarforaz

Ifyou're applying to Oxford - apply to WADHAM (woo!) or, if you must, Balliol.

Durham, I believe, also requires you to select a college.

But that is all.
Reply 13
Phonicsdude
Ifyou're applying to Oxford - apply to WADHAM (woo!) or, if you must, Balliol.

Agree with Balliol - though what do you mean, "if you must"? :biggrin:
Reply 14
um... *has no clue about the colleges*
where can i find some info? i got a bit lost on the websites ._. and the durham prospectors didnt really give much info on colleges... just a discription o.o
Reply 15
sarforaz

Christ Church

By far the best :biggrin:
Reply 16
sarforaz
um... *has no clue about the colleges*
where can i find some info? i got a bit lost on the websites ._. and the durham prospectors didnt really give much info on colleges... just a discription o.o

The uni produce a book which has info on all colleges, halls etc. E-mail the admissions team and ask for one.
Reply 17
Or check out: http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/wolfson/

This is the page for my old College, but my ISP is playing up and I can't access it to work back to the index of Colleges page.

You should be able to work back to the Oxford Tours page and get access to virtual tours of more Colleges.
Reply 18
You have to apply to King's College London, even if you may think you don't want to go to London, keep your options open...and I'd say screw a backup because Nottingham and Durham seemed to give out quite a few ABB offers and that can be your backup, good choice for picking the two but how can you give up a AAB typical from King's, not that anyone would want King's as their backup but AAB is just a giveaway....Manchester is definatley on the rise, and it has to be better than Warwick id say, after oxbridge, I think it's quite clear that LSE and UCL are most competative so if you go for neither then your other choices should be fine with A's from now on because you have good grades but why drop history? Law school's seem to love HIstory, and maths and econ and chemistry actually nvm, good luck.
Reply 19
sarforaz
ive tried reading through a bunch of threads but each to their own.. so kinda hard to relate to other peoples situations...
well ive decided to do law (probably more my dad or w/e but im happy to do it)
i got 3 A*, 6 As (and a D in art *cough* which we wont mention)
which is probably a bit low compared to most on these boards ._.
(was close to getting 3 As ---> A*s but thats what happens when your lazy...)
for AS level im studying Maths, chemistry, history and economics (dropping hist end of this year..) a nice mix i personally think :P
i think i should be predicted 3 As for A level...
ive even got a few weeks work experiance for the summer :biggrin:

now i kinda need to choose all my universities...
Oxford (if you get in its like winning the lottery, if not meh no big deal)
Warwick
Durham
Nottingham
those are the 4 i think i definatly want to apply to... but not sure which other 2... (dont really want to go to a Uni in London..)
so any advice on other 2?
also i think im applying more on reputation than if i like... bad idea? meh but i got confused about open day timing and just forgot basically :rolleyes:
but im flexible and can normally fit in well anywhere so its cool :P

just wondering about my last 2 choices, should i apply somewhere a bit lower down in ranking so i dont get rejected completely :P or is it not really worth getting a degree from somewhere crappy since law is so competitive?
and with my kinda grades am i aiming too high?
thanks for any help in advice :smile:

umm, are you who i think you are? :eek:

EDIT: yes, yes you are. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending