The Student Room Group

Question about Foundation Diploma in Art & Design. Help please!

Hi, basically I was wondering is it possible to be accepted onto a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design in any decent London college if you have no Art related A-Levels and never studied Art but have a raw talent for it? Obviously supposing you have a brilliant enough portfolio that was compiled outside of an academic setting? I basically don't have any art qualifications (apart from GCSE Textiles) mainly because of parents I didn't follow my passion but now starting to regret it and thinking of a complete U-Turn in my life. Thanks in advance for replies! :smile:
I'm thinking a similar thing. I've got a conditional uni place to do sciences this year but im so bad at decisions and really dont know what I want. Earlier in the year I also had the same thing and looked into doing an art foundation course. I didnt do art a level but did it at gcse and went to visit camberwell college. The art teachers at my school were quite supportive of me and said that as long as my portfolio was good enough, the lack of an a level wasnt important. So i assume it isnt aha. Now i've just got to decide what i want to do this year :frown:

good luck with it! :smile:
Yeah, it's still quite possible to get accepted without formal qualifications.
In many cases, art schools are more open minded when it comes to applicants (particularly at foundation level) - you're obviously going to face competition from students with more formal experience than you, but a good portfolio of work and an obvious passion for Art & Design is enough to work your way in. Go for it!
Reply 3
^I second that, it's your future - not your parents'. Don't study for a field you know you'll be miserable in. Do what you have a passion for.

Also, you had better apply as soon as possible because the deadlines are very close.

I wish you the very best. *thumbs up*
Reply 4
Go to life drawing classes after school. They're something foundations really like to see.

Ask your friends on the art a-level if you can photocopy their briefs because an art course isn't about sitting around all day drawing. Learning how to meet a brief is really important because the whole of your foundation mark is based on one module, which you write the brief for.

And one last thing is remember that art isn't a subject, it's a lifestyle (god that sounds so pretentious!!). There's no maximum word limits or advised books to read. If it's something you're really passionate about then you'll do well. You also have to convince them that you're not simply going there for the "experience" or because you didn't get into uni, because I know a good few med students who did the foundation as their "gap year" much to the annoyance of the tutors!!

Latest