The Student Room Group

How many people get 3+ As at advanced higher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
To my knowledge no-one in the past few years at my school has done more than 3AHs, although certainly there are some that would have been capable.

About 6/7 got AAA at AH in my year, I got AAAA (3AHs and 1H), as did 3 or 4 others. There's quite a few others who were easily capable of AAA or more, but had "sixth year itis" with unconditional offers/very easy offers.
Reply 41
Hardly anyone at my school even does three AHs, let alone does well. The head teacher made a huge deal about a girl last year getting 3 As at AH, and she went to Cambridge. I don't know if anyone else from my school has done as well, at least they haven't in the 5 years I've been there! :woo:
Meteorshower
Absolute rubbish.

With my school i'm fairly sure management didn't realise I was doing more than 3 til after prelims, at which point i'd shown I could handle them. My advice to those whose school policy doesn't allow more than 3 - fight your case!

Sorry for that, but I went for an open day with my sister, and I was downright revolted by the attitudes of the people there. There was a group from Eton, I think, who actually asked me where I came from. When they heard my accent, they completely blanked me and refused to talk to me for the rest of the afternoon. It was eye-opening.
TimmyVermicelli
Sorry for that, but I went for an open day with my sister, and I was downright revolted by the attitudes of the people there. There was a group from Eton, I think, who actually asked me where I came from. When they heard my accent, they completely blanked me and refused to talk to me for the rest of the afternoon. It was eye-opening.

You don't have to be sorry to me :p:

Ok, first of all, you are basing your opinions of Oxford on a very small sample size, and secondly, they don't actually go to Oxford... Do you see where this is going? :p:

There is no university that you wont find snobs. Just because you found some snobs, who weren't even a part of the university, doesn't mean Oxford is a "reserve of rich scum"
Meteorshower
You don't have to be sorry to me :p:

Ok, first of all, you are basing your opinions of Oxford on a very small sample size, and secondly, they don't actually go to Oxford... Do you see where this is going? :p:

There is no university that you wont find snobs. Just because you found some snobs, who weren't even a part of the university, doesn't mean Oxford is a "reserve of rich scum"

Lol, I got negged :rolleyes:

I said Oxbridge actually, and it was Cambridge. But experiences and memories stick, I'm afraid, and that's my image of these two universities.
Reply 45
people do get 3+As, two of my friends and i got 3As last year (i also got an A in higher french but that doesnt really count). my boyfriend and another friend got 4 As at AH. i did go to a "selective" school though so the rates accross the country wont be quite as high
TimmyVermicelli
Lol, I got negged :rolleyes:

I said Oxbridge actually, and it was Cambridge. But experiences and memories stick, I'm afraid, and that's my image of these two universities.

Oh, Asymptote was talking about Oxford at one point so I must have got mixed up.

Fair enough you think that, but I don't understand how you base your opinion of a whole university on a few people who weren't even students at the time. If that's how you form all your opinions I feel sorry for anyone who meet who gives a slightly bad first impression.

Oh and I didn't neg you
Hi guys!

I'm new to the whole education system here in Scotland and I was wondering how difficult are Advanced Highers compared to Highers?

I was planning on taking 3 Advanced Highers next year (Chemistry, Physics and Maths) and I want to do an additional 2-3 Highers (Human Biology, Psychology and either Spanish or German) but I'm not quite sure if that's doable since I need to get all A's (preferably all A1's) if I want to go on and do Medicine at Cambridge. I'm expecting on getting AAAAB this year (the B is for Maths) and so I feel like I need to do the extra Highers just to make up for that dreadful B. I also have American High School qualifications (no SATs though) and an IB certificate with 6's and 7's (no diploma though) so I hope that with all of that I might still have a shot at Cambridge but like I asked earlier, is that really doable?

All advice and opinions appreciated! Thank you! :smile:
Original post by debbieroo7994
Hi guys!

I'm new to the whole education system here in Scotland and I was wondering how difficult are Advanced Highers compared to Highers?

I was planning on taking 3 Advanced Highers next year (Chemistry, Physics and Maths) and I want to do an additional 2-3 Highers (Human Biology, Psychology and either Spanish or German) but I'm not quite sure if that's doable since I need to get all A's (preferably all A1's) if I want to go on and do Medicine at Cambridge. I'm expecting on getting AAAAB this year (the B is for Maths) and so I feel like I need to do the extra Highers just to make up for that dreadful B. I also have American High School qualifications (no SATs though) and an IB certificate with 6's and 7's (no diploma though) so I hope that with all of that I might still have a shot at Cambridge but like I asked earlier, is that really doable?

All advice and opinions appreciated! Thank you! :smile:

Cambridge offers are A1A1A at AH. They don't give a crap about anything more than that.

As I've pointed out before, it would be very unwise to apply to cambridge with AAAAB. You're pissing into the wind trying to get into Aberdeen with those grades, nevermind cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending