The Student Room Group
Reply 1
There's a lot of good ones out there- Aston, Strathclyde are a couple of examples of universities that pride themselves especially on their Business Schools. Manchester has an enormous dept, and a friend of mine trained at Loughborough and is now a lecturer and speaks highly of it. They can get you started, I'd have a look around places you'd like to study in (since after all, its going to be 10k fees and 20k living expenses over the next three years in costs, so you might as well not be miserable) first of all, and take the league tables with a massive pinch of salt.
Reply 2
Aston, Cardiff, Bath, LSE, Lancaster, Loughborough, Exeter and Warwick are a few which spring to mind.

Having said that, not all of those offer dedicated Marketing degrees, but they all have very well respected business schools.

Also, as 040434m has said, don't just go to a uni because it has a good department/course for your subject; you need to make sure you actually like the uni, and that may mean going to a "less recognised" business school.
Reply 3
Go look around the ones mentioned. What grades are you predicted?
Reply 4
Look at the times uni guide to get an idea; having said that you cant choose from that alone... It really depends on whether you like it or not when you visit :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hi, I studied BA (Hons) business and marketing management at the University of Sunderland (graduating in July 2009) and really enjoyed my time there. My lecturers were all highly intelligent, enthusiastic individuals who were happy to provide help and guidance. I would certainly recommend Sunderland University for anyone interested in business and marketing, the course was excellent.
Reply 6
Im looking to do this and the ones that have caught my eye are Warwick, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
Lancaster has a very highly respected business school (one of only two in the country to gain a 6* rating for research, I believe).
Reply 8
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Lancaster has a very highly respected business school (one of only two in the country to gain a 6* rating for research, I believe).

That is highly impressive- since the maximum possible score in the last research assessment was 4*, and the one before it 5*, then to get 6 they must clearly be adept in the ways of the business, and bribing someone somewhere.
0404343m
That is highly impressive- since the maximum possible score in the last research assessment was 4*, and the one before it 5*, then to get 6 they must clearly be adept in the ways of the business, and bribing someone somewhere.

They must have changed the system since I was there then. I'm positive it was 6* - we shared that mark with Durham.
Reply 10
Some excellent unis with good business courses would be Lancaster, Manchester, Warwick, Aston, Cardiff, City Uni, Bath, Loughborough, Nottingham, Kings College.
Then there are some good ones like Kent, Royal, Holloway, York.
And if you dont have the grades for them kind of unis then I've heard Bournemouth is quite good.
And for postgrad courses Cranfield is quite a gem.
Reply 11
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
They must have changed the system since I was there then. I'm positive it was 6* - we shared that mark with Durham.

Are you sure it's for research? I'm not calling you a liar (Lancaster does have a strong business element), nor am I saying you're wrong explicitly, but the RAE in 1992,1996 and 2001 all went on a 1-5 then 5* grading and the 2008 one 1*-4* grading. That said, universities, esp business schools, are notorious at phrasing things in such a way to make them look super-elite, when in actual fact dozens of rivals are in the same sort of ballpark in terms of employability and course quality.
royal holloway does mangement with marketing

Aston does a marketing course with a commone business year for all first year business students.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_University_Management_School

http://www.answers.com/topic/lancaster-university-1

Since both pages are quite long, use your edit menu, find within this page to search for 6*.
Reply 14
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_University_Management_School

http://www.answers.com/topic/lancaster-university-1

Since both pages are quite long, use your edit menu, find within this page to search for 6*.

I see that (it's not giving me any matches on the wiki though), it's just it doesn't explain where they got this 6* from: " Lancaster University Management School is, along with London Business School one of only two 6* Management Schools in the UK." - I don't doubt that, it just can't be 6* from the research assessment, as the highest score thats ever been available was 5*.

Edit: I've cracked it- to distinguish between 5 and 5*, I think they've renamed the top grade as 6 (although thats unofficial, the RAE always called it 5 and 5*), to avoid confusion... That said, that was from the 2001 assessment. In the most recent one, they're joint 5th with 5th others- which is still excellent, by anyone's standards.

Latest

Trending

Trending