The Student Room Group

Peritonsillar abscess

Has anyone had this before?

It's an abscess on the soft palate. I've just been to my GPs and was told it a Peritonsillar abscess and that no treatment is needed. It becomes asymptomatic and takes up to three months to go away.

Been reading up on the internet (eMedicine etc) and it says nothing of the sort. Antibiotics or surgery are suggested.

Wikipedia even have a list of people who've died from it. :woo:

Any suggestions of what I should do? Leave it or try and get a second opinion somehow?
Reply 1
Stomach Ulcer
Any suggestions of what I should do? Leave it or try and get a second opinion somehow?

Can you ask to see another GP in your practise? Or go to the walk in centre? I am in no position to question the advice you were given but it does sound a bit suspect for me to be told that it will go away on its own if it is a peritonsillar abscess. Or even go and see the same GP again. Be honest and tell them that you read about it and all current recomendations call for antibiotics +/- drainage and you would like to know why your case is different. They may get a bit annoyed with you but it is your health and you are entitled to know exactly what is going on.
the walk in centre will probably refer you back to your gp if it is not an emergency and something they cannot deal with (most things)

so go back to a GP

Latest

Trending

Trending