The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i would recommend not taking AS maths if you only did intermediate GCSE. Everyone in my maths class took higher maths for GCSE and still only 5 out of 12 stayed the duration, and only 3 of us are expected to get better than an E. Obviously this might not hold for you, and it might be a good idea to take it for 3 or 4 weeks before deciding...if you are still considering it...
Reply 21
My mate did intermediate maths at GCSE and now he's top of our maths class with an A pretty much in the bag. I think it just clicked when we started AS and he's never struggled. He does work very hard though, and never gives up on a question until he gets it right.
Reply 22
if you can put in the hours and work hard you can do it. I left school with an E in gcse maths then i went to college worked hard and they enterd me in intermediate and i got a B. This year im doing AS maths (C1 , C2 , M1) and im finding the work not to hard. Ive been perdicted a B and i just got below an overall B in my mock exams. If you can put the effert into it then go for it
Just taken my non calc maths edexcel. very easy indeed. Not much added to higher from what i see. Ive since decided to add maths to my timetable and im trying it for 6 weeks til the hard stuff kicks in. if i can manage it for just a year and scrape a decent grade thats ok. after all i want to increase my maths knowlege for my A2 physics year, im not looking for a career in it.
Reply 24
I got A* for Maths GCSE, just taken my AS Maths papers- my teachers are predicting me Cs in all of the papers, but Im hoping to get Bs. If you're doing intermediate for GCSE, you can still try the AS Level, just remember it will be a challenge. It's a wise idea to go through C1, you'll probably be able to learn the bulk of it during the summer, and then your actual C1 exam should be less of a challenge. BTW, some people are saying that C2 is harder than C1, I actually find C2 easier, calculus is pretty easy once you know what you're doing....
whats C1? can you tell me whats involved and where i can find the material thats involved with it
Reply 26
r0manticide17
whats C1? can you tell me whats involved and where i can find the material thats involved with it

AS maths is a piece of piss - C1 is an Easier version of P1, which is a mod most people get 95% + in. and its probably the easiest A ever!

i did AS maths, FM phys and geog, and found i had to work harder for phys and geog - maths in comparison was a doddle, prolly cos its something i like bu hey - you wanted an opion - u got it:smile:

pk
Reply 27
Tidasquall
I got A* for Maths GCSE, just taken my AS Maths papers- my teachers are predicting me Cs in all of the papers,...

really hate when teachers do that! dont get down about this people - they always do that to the best of us :wink: One of my friends got straight U's for AS mocks, and didn't do **** all for AS year, revised like week before exams and got 4A's - ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! - and he wasn't a genius - a normal lazy bloke!

phil
Reply 28
I've seen this, that some of the C1 stuff is actually on the higher math GCSE syllabuses (such as gradients, tangents, circles, equations), so higher math students shouldn't find C1 completely alien, instead C1 should be easy for them! Yet I wonder why this isn't the case...

I was doing GCSE intermediate, and didn't understand Algebra at all, and got a high B, probabily due to my courseworks.

But I'm now doing Further math, and math at A level and scored an A at C1. :smile:
Reply 29
Vijay1
I've seen this, that some of the C1 stuff is actually on the higher math GCSE syllabuses (such as gradients, tangents, circles, equations), so higher math students shouldn't find C1 completely alien, instead C1 should be easy for them! Yet I wonder why this isn't the case...

I was doing GCSE intermediate, and didn't understand Algebra at all, and got a high B, probabily due to my courseworks.

But I'm now doing Further math, and math at A level and scored an A at C1. :smile:

intermediate maths to Further maths:smile: - unusual, but best of luck to you:smile:

pk
Reply 30
Phil23
intermediate maths to Further maths:smile: - unusual, but best of luck to you:smile:

pk

Reply 31
Vijay1

YOU CAN, THEY DID!

i am doing partime gcse maths at my local college, i ddnt know how to add decimal nmbers but now i am predicted A*. all i meant to say is YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO!

charikaar
Reply 32
charikaar
YOU CAN, THEY DID!

i am doing partime gcse maths at my local college, i ddnt know how to add decimal nmbers but now i am predicted A*. all i meant to say is YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO!

charikaar

yeh, I know, I am already doing it, and doing pretty good in it.
I'm just about to start A2 math! :smile:

Anyway, good luck to you for your GCSE exam. :rolleyes:

Latest