The Student Room Group

Straight edge community?

are there alot of straight edge people in England, to date i am the only English straight edge guy i know.

Out of personal choice and moral certainty.

Scroll to see replies

How exactly would you define straight edge, thats a rather silly question.
Moral certainty? Of what?
Reply 3
My God, that's an old term.

No drink
No drugs
No sex before marriage

Isn't it?
I don't drink and I don't do drugs.

..but no sex before marriage? Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!
Reply 5
yeah, i have have certain morals because of what people do with drugs and alcohol. And yeah i know not everyone turns into a **** but it's a person view.
though I dont believe in sex before marriage is bad
Please explain to me this notion of being "straight edge". I find it odd that one would define oneself by the fact that they don't do various uninteresting things that no one gives a **** about. I mean loads of people are vegetarians but don't make a whole culture out of it and call themselves, like, "VmattieV". What's it all about?
Reply 7
Straight edge came out of the hardcore punk scene, mostly associated with bands such as minor threat. Its no Drink and No Drugs, i think it was based around the idea that really you didnt need to do those things to have a good time at gigs, it then grew out into a subculture within punk.

Personally i can see where they are comming from that you dont need drink and drugs to have fun, but i think thats no reason for not enjoying those things.
People see being 'straight edge' in different ways... Maybe it's the different areas that use it slightly differently.

It's from the hardcore punk music scene originally, I know that.

For my whole life, I've known 'straight edge' as no alcohol, drugs or smoking, whereas a poster above involved sex in the equation.

If I go by my definition of the term, I'm straightedge.

littleshambles

I agree to a certain extent. But it's just another word; another phrase; another piece of lingo! It's fine to say you're straightedge, like it's fine to say when you're vegetarian, but when you introduce yourself like 'Hello I'm straightedge, how are you?' it's pretty daft. You're making a phrase you which is unnecessary.
Reply 9
littleshambles
Please explain to me this notion of being "straight edge". I find it odd that one would define oneself by the fact that they don't do various uninteresting things that no one gives a **** about. I mean loads of people are vegetarians but don't make a whole culture out of it and call themselves, like, "VmattieV". What's it all about?

I was asking a question in all fairness, im not preaching someone asked what it was ect. So what if there is a culture, its something to live your life by like a religion ( although nowhere near as strong )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFKBwJAXh5s
heres a national geographic thing on it, if your that interessted.

and as for my user name i have always used two Xs even before i was straight edge.
Reply 10
I'm straight edge , I will hunt down an kill anyone I suspect of not already being straight edge. I will use a knife to make your deaths more ironic.
Reply 11
SuicideCommando
People see being 'straight edge' in different ways... Maybe it's the different areas that use it slightly differently.

It's from the hardcore punk music scene originally, I know that.

For my whole life, I've known 'straight edge' as no alcohol, drugs or smoking, whereas a poster above involved sex in the equation.

If I go by my definition of the term, I'm straightedge.

I agree to a certain extent. But it's just another word; another phrase; another piece of lingo! It's fine to say you're straightedge, like it's fine to say when you're vegetarian, but when you introduce yourself like 'Hello I'm straightedge, how are you?' it's pretty daft. You're making a phrase you which is unnecessary.

i agree it is just a word but its the actions that speak not the generic umbrella term.
I wish I'd started out straight-edge but it's too late for me lol
Reply 13
Are you 14?
XmattieX
i agree it is just a word but its the actions that speak not the generic umbrella term.

But the problem is when people make being 'straightedge' them. Being straightedge is great - you do less harm to your body, but when you make it the thing that's 'you' it's silly.
Reply 15
Lizia
Are you 14?

almost 19
XmattieX
I was asking a question in all fairness, im not preaching someone asked what it was ect. So what if there is a culture, its something to live your life by like a religion ( although nowhere near as strong )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFKBwJAXh5s
heres a national geographic thing on it, if your that interessted.

and as for my user name i have always used two Xs even before i was straight edge.

Yeah, I guess my question was phrased rather harshly but I am genuinely curious as well.

SuicideCommando

Yeah, I mean it's as good an identifier as any but it seems weird to me in a way that such a big culture has developed around it (plus I guess that "moral certainty" comment drew my back up a bit :colondollar:)
littleshambles

I totally agree with you. Why define yourself by the things you don't do?!
I know quite a few people who don't drink, do drugs or have premiscuous sex. But they don't define themselves as straight edge.

Actually, I've never met anyone who calls themselves straight edge above the age of 15.
Reply 19
littleshambles
Yeah, I guess my question was phrased rather harshly but I am genuinely curious as well.

Yeah, I mean it's as good an identifier as any but it seems weird to me in a way that such a big culture has developed around it (plus I guess that "moral certainty" comment drew my back up a bit :colondollar:)

haha i dont mind really
its just my opinion and stuff i dont car about people drinking ect, i just dont want to lol

Quick Reply

Latest