The Student Room Group

Which medical schools should I apply to? 2530 UCAT Band 1 and A*AAA predicted

Hi! I'd appreciate some advice on med schools :smile:
I'm choosing which unis to apply to, and I'm not sure if Medicine at Edinburgh is a realistic option:
I have A*AAA predicted- A* French, A in Bio Chem Maths

2530 in the UCAT Band 1- SJT will be beneficial but my UCAT score is quite low..

I'm undecided which unis would be good options? My reference and personal statement are OK although not sure how much difference that will make, especially this year
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mariaknightt
Hi! I'd appreciate some advice on med schools :smile:
I'm choosing which unis to apply to, and I'm not sure if Medicine at Edinburgh is a realistic option:
I have A*AAA predicted- A* French, A in Bio Chem Maths

2530 in the UCAT Band 1- SJT will be beneficial but my UCAT score is quite low..

I'm undecided which unis would be good options? My reference and personal statement are OK although not sure how much difference that will make, especially this year

Hi, reference and personal statements usually don't help too much, even under normal circumstances. From what I know Edinburgh weighs the ucat a lot so that may not be the best option :frown:. Don't beat yourself up though, there are plenty of med schools which weigh your gcses more than ucat (which I'm assuming were great looking at those amazing a level predictions). Have a look at the medic portal and similar but from what I know Liverpool, Leicester, Nottingham, hull-york, Keele, edge hill are just some options you could look at. Im assuming you'd rather not do the bmat but I think with your ucat and grades you have a pretty good chance at securing an interview with one of these. Just apply strategically after doing your research on individual scoring systems.
Original post by Kffh
Hi, reference and personal statements usually don't help too much, even under normal circumstances. From what I know Edinburgh weighs the ucat a lot so that may not be the best option :frown:. Don't beat yourself up though, there are plenty of med schools which weigh your gcses more than ucat (which I'm assuming were great looking at those amazing a level predictions). Have a look at the medic portal and similar but from what I know Liverpool, Leicester, Nottingham, hull-york, Keele, edge hill are just some options you could look at. Im assuming you'd rather not do the bmat but I think with your ucat and grades you have a pretty good chance at securing an interview with one of these. Just apply strategically after doing your research on individual scoring systems.

Thank you so much :smile:! Sorry about the question overload, but what do you think about Queen Mary's? I have read that they care about UCAS points relative to UCAT score too, so their website says that 242 UCAS points paired with a 2580 UCAT score is OK, so I'm not sure if my 248 UCAS points and 2530 UCAT B1 score is viable?

(GCSEs are 9 8/9s and 4 7s )
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much :smile:! Sorry about the question overload, but what do you think about Queen Mary's? I have read that they care about UCAS points relative to UCAT score too, so their website says that 242 UCAS points paired with a 2580 UCAT score is OK, so I'm not sure if my 248 UCAS points and 2530 UCAT B1 score is viable?

(GCSEs are 9 8/9s and 4 7s )

I'm not sure about them because I didn't really look at them too much when I was applying but my advice would be call them and ask directly. You have plenty of options where you'd be able to get interviews I think so best to be sure before you apply somewhere where the scoring isn't completely clear. is the 2580 percentile 6 for this year so far?
Original post by Kffh
I'm not sure about them because I didn't really look at them too much when I was applying but my advice would be call them and ask directly. You have plenty of options where you'd be able to get interviews I think so best to be sure before you apply somewhere where the scoring isn't completely clear. is the 2580 percentile 6 for this year so far?

Perfect, thank you! I will call admissions and ask. 2580 is in the 6th percentile this year and last year, and my score is in the 5th: although it looks like UCAT averages will dip low enough after everyone has taken the test, which allows me to be in the 6th percentile too.
Perfect, thank you! I will call admissions and ask. 2580 is in the 6th percentile this year and last year, and my score is in the 5th: although it looks like UCAT averages will dip low enough after everyone has taken the test, which allows me to be in the 6th percentile too.

I think you should definitely have Barts as an aspirational one as you never know what might happen and might be kicking yourself for not applying! That's just my opinion tho and what I'm doing for my dream uni (st andrews)
Original post by user987654123
I think you should definitely have Barts as an aspirational one as you never know what might happen and might be kicking yourself for not applying! That's just my opinion tho and what I'm doing for my dream uni (st andrews)

Yes, definitely go for it! I think I've definitely chosen Barts, and QUB as an insurance as with my points I am very likely to get an interview- but for my final 2 am undecided between liverpool, KCL, HYMS and Ediburgh, as not sure if I can afford to apply to one like KCL/Edinburgh as one of my 2 choices left. What do you think?
Reply 7
hey we got similar UCAT and tariff scores! I have a 2580 ucat and 244 ucas tariff points. I have no idea where to apply tbh im quite overwhelmed lol looking at all the tsr threads and trying to decide.

Yes, definitely go for it! I think I've definitely chosen Barts, and QUB as an insurance as with my points I am very likely to get an interview- but for my final 2 am undecided between liverpool, KCL, HYMS and Ediburgh, as not sure if I can afford to apply to one like KCL/Edinburgh as one of my 2 choices left. What do you think?
Reply 8

Hey I think atm 2530 falls into the 4th percentile. 5th would be 2570 and above (but this will drop undoubtedly)
Reply 9
Original post by user987654123

Of course but just be sure you’d be considered before you apply. Med schools are so harsh bcs they get so many applicants, most people get rejected automatically straight away bcs they don’t meet the criteria
Hi! I’m an international Indian student with predicteds above 95% for pure science so that bio, chem, Phy, eng, maths. I got a UCAT score of 2580 and band 1. I wanted to apply to Leicester, Liverpool, Belfast, and Cardiff. What are my chances
Reply 11

Hello. I got a score of 2580 in the UCAt and band 2 , similar to you. I saw this while scrolling through the TSR thread. Where did you apply and did you get an offer? I really want to do med and your experiences will be really beneficial.
Hiya, i would recommend cardiff uni if ur gcses are strong (mostly 8s and 9s) and if ur personal statement includes things like:
Ability to work independent
A sense of service to the community
Communication skills
Enthusiasm
Experience of working with diverse groups
Perseverance
Self-insight
evidence of self- directed learning
evidence of experience and reflection in a caring environment

They only use ucat scores in borderline situations.
Original post by Frenchfries450
Hi! I’m an international Indian student with predicteds above 95% for pure science so that bio, chem, Phy, eng, maths. I got a UCAT score of 2580 and band 1. I wanted to apply to Leicester, Liverpool, Belfast, and Cardiff. What are my chances

Hey I actually had a friend who applied last year with similar stats to you. Do not apply to Cardiff. My friend go predicted straight A* for 4 subjects and got all 9s in GCSEs, applied as an international student and did not get an interview invite. Instead my other friend who had home status got an interview invite with lower scores. I really think they have a preference for home students. Belfast is a good choice. I cannot comment on the other two I'm afraid
Original post by saz987
hey we got similar UCAT and tariff scores! I have a 2580 ucat and 244 ucas tariff points. I have no idea where to apply tbh im quite overwhelmed lol looking at all the tsr threads and trying to decide.

Hey I think you shouldn't think about Edinburgh or KCL. Edinburgh only considers the highest of the highest UCAT scorers. I had a friend who applied to KCL with a score of 3000 and B1, 4 A*s predicted for A levels and straight 9s at GCSE and he didn't get an interview. Barts and QUB are really solid choices. No one at my school applied to Liverpool but from what I see, the UCAT cut-offs are getting progressively higher each year. With the published cut-off for 2022 being 2620, Liverpool might not be the best choice. I suggest you meet up with your university counsellor for opinions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending