The Student Room Group

Migraines :(

Who here gets them? I mean the ones that start off with aura, where you can't see properly. Then the migraine comes, and you feel sick/dizzy among other things. If you're lucky enough you can throw up a lot too.

I got one this morning, but it's gone now. I think that's because of the pills I took prescribed to me from my doctor (called Zomig). Last year before Christmas I only got about 2, but for some reason I had 2 over Christmas, and another one this morning. I have an exam tomorrow, so the timing couldn't be worse. Not to mention I have a pretty bad virus at the minute too, so tomorrow is going to be fun! :biggrin:

So if you get them, how often and what do you do to deal with them? Do you take any meds or just go to bed?

I hate them! I'm a guy so it's really against the odds for me to get them, I just got pretty unlucky I guess. Didn't get my first one until I was about 14.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i get them. i know i'm going to get one if i bend over and one of my eyes hurts really badly- do you get that?

mine are a bit kind in that they don't tend to happen when i'm stressed or have a big exam coming up- they wait until after. it's nice because it means i dont miss anything important but it's also kind of annoying because it means i have to spend all weekend in a dark quiet room waiting for my migraine to go away :frown:
Reply 2
I had one this morning during my Ecology module exam >_<

OP i've had Zomig before and found that it helps most of the time, even if it's just to take the edge of it :smile:
Reply 3
fire2burn
I had one this morning during my Ecology module exam >_<

OP i've had Zomig before and found that it helps most of the time, even if it's just to take the edge of it :smile:

Ouch, how did that go? Did it affect your performance much? Aura get in the way?
My mum had Naramig, which is awesome for her :smile:
Reply 5
Reply 6
Sithius
Ouch, how did that go? Did it affect your performance much? Aura get in the way?

Luckily I find the topic exceptionally easy, however it was rather annoying to have to sit there for two hours under bright lights with my head throbbing. Aura probably affected my writing I think, it looked scruffier than usual but it's still readable so that's ok. What kind of aura's do you get? I got a kind of grey haze like static on the tv out of the corner of my eye today, very distracting when you're trying to write down ideas and concepts within a time limit. Sometimes it looks like objects are shrinking and swelling though, pretty nasty when you're trying to navigate a flight of stairs and it looks like they're moving.
Reply 7
I've had migraines almost every day for the past 4 years. I get them so often that the pain doesn't bother me that much, which is good because I've taken so much Codeine over the years it doesn't work anymore! I've tried Zomig but it just makes me nauseous and tired. I'm currently taking propranolol, pizotifen and amitriptyline as a preventative treatment, which has recently stopped working.

I've had all sorts of scans and blood tests done to try and figure out what's wrong but nobody can come up with any ideas :frown: Going back to the doctors on Wednesday to try and get something else sorted out!

Edit: I also get cluster headaches (also known as suicide headaches), if anyone else reading this gets these I'd love you talk to them since I'm the only person I know that knows what it feels like!
Reply 8
I get a lot of them too, not found anything to help them. Felt like the Doctor's didn't care, they didn't understand I think, so I just stopped going and just curl up in bed in the dark when I get them now. It's one of those things that unless you've experienced one you don't understand just how awful they are.
Reply 9
I hate them, I either get little flashing lights followed by a loss of vision and a killer headache, or I lose my balance and have to try to find a place to lie down til the room stops spinning. I had one of the lights-and-blindness ones as I was sitting my LNAT this year, and only just managed to finish the test in time before it really kicked in :s-smilie: To sum up, they're horrible!
Reply 10
I get them

Usually just when I'm stressed or tired.
As soon as I feel it coming on I take my migraine tablets, close the blinds and lie down for a while.

x
I've had a couple before but didn't think much off it, but this week the same feeling has came back and matches your symptoms.
It's keeping me awake at night and with exams next week, not so good. I fell very dizzy and light headed, with a constant thumping, feeling too hot and then the next minute i will be shaking from the cold also i have been off my food as i feel I'm going too throw up!
banannah
I've had migraines almost every day for the past 4 years. I get them so often that the pain doesn't bother me that much, which is good because I've taken so much Codeine over the years it doesn't work anymore! I've tried Zomig but it just makes me nauseous and tired. I'm currently taking propranolol, pizotifen and amitriptyline as a preventative treatment, which has recently stopped working.

I've had all sorts of scans and blood tests done to try and figure out what's wrong but nobody can come up with any ideas :frown: Going back to the doctors on Wednesday to try and get something else sorted out!

Edit: I also get cluster headaches (also known as suicide headaches), if anyone else reading this gets these I'd love you talk to them since I'm the only person I know that knows what it feels like!

Wow sounds like you have it pretty bad :frown: When I was younger i'd get cluster headaches as well as migraines, however now it only seems to be migraines that I get. Although saying that it's only been a year so there's still the chance that the cluster headaches will come back.

Clusters are definitely worse than migraines, the pain is just off the scale. I remember it felt like someone was rubbing a cheese grater under my scalp whilst squeezing the bottom of my brain. I remember when I was in hospital for a bit, oxygen treatment when I felt shadows coming on sometimes helped to stop them coming on so strongly. Have you tried that?
Reply 13
rosie9391
I've had a couple before but didn't think much off it, but this week the same feeling has came back and matches your symptoms.
It's keeping me awake at night and with exams next week, not so good. I fell very dizzy and light headed, with a constant thumping, feeling too hot and then the next minute i will be shaking from the cold also i have been off my food as i feel I'm going too throw up!

This could be stress induced, do you feel paticularly stressed or anxious right now? I experience the same things in the lead up to exams. In fact, I've had similar symptoms for over a year, brought on by anxiety.
I started getting them last year and they're terrible. At first i didn't know what was happening i just started feeling sickly and my neck also goes kind of stiff which is weird. And i feel off balance/dizzy. I'm terrified i'll get one in my exams. I last got one when i found out i'd got an offer from cambridge-think they're caused by excitement or stress. Oh an energy saving lightbulbs!
Konnifer
This could be stress induced, do you feel paticularly stressed or anxious right now? I experience the same things in the lead up to exams. In fact, I've had similar symptoms for over a year, brought on by anxiety.

Not as stressed as i was with exams over the past two years since i have met uni requirements now. It started last week with a change in mood - very down in the dumps but this headache just hit me last night and i still have it now - never had one like this before!
I get them in pretty much every form :frown:

Often mine have the same symptoms as stroke, so I'm paralysed down one side etc. Those are the worst, very scary, especially since I've already had TIAs :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Go and get it sorted,
I used to have them, badly,
and they kept getting worse until I started having seizures.
Then I got diagnosed with epilepsy :/

Don't know if it's related but maybe ask to book an EEG scan or something when you go to your GP
I used to get migraines, had my first when I was about 14...I get the aura...it's horrible, but I've never ever felt sick. Just the Aura, generally feeling weak and then the horrible headache. I've also have cluster headaches lasting up to three weeks...it's horrible. Haven't had one in a while though, about a year and a bit.
Reply 19
fire2burn
Wow sounds like you have it pretty bad :frown: When I was younger i'd get cluster headaches as well as migraines, however now it only seems to be migraines that I get. Although saying that it's only been a year so there's still the chance that the cluster headaches will come back.

Clusters are definitely worse than migraines, the pain is just off the scale. I remember it felt like someone was rubbing a cheese grater under my scalp whilst squeezing the bottom of my brain. I remember when I was in hospital for a bit, oxygen treatment when I felt shadows coming on sometimes helped to stop them coming on so strongly. Have you tried that?

Nope, I've never had oxygen treatment. I've only been to the hospital 3 times with them, every time they just gave morphine, kept me in overnight and then sent me on my way. It just seems like nobody can be bothered trying to find out what the problem is.

That's a pretty good way of describing the pain! It's dead hard to explain to someone who's never had them, they always just assume you're exaggerating and think it's just like a bad headache :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending