The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Igor00
You know what lowers the amount of fat you have? Diet and cardio. It has nothing to do with rep ranges. At all. It's pretty funny that A Level PE is teaching you otherwise.

Think about what you just told me..."cardio" what is cardovascular exercise? Simply it is the moving of muscles for aerobic exersive so that you need large amounts of oxygene. You do high reps you need a lot of oxygene, if you do it properly you should be out of breath when finished. Therefore high repage is cardio work.
Reply 41
Wesssty
Everyone on the world's strongest man are a lil round, maybe the gene to favoured muscle growth attributes to fat too?

perhaps not marius pudowiscki - I think that's his name. This polish dude is a champ and is not like the usual 'fat' strongmen.
Reply 42
Jeester
Think about what you just told me..."cardio" what is cardovascular exercise? Simply it is the moving of muscles for aerobic exersive so that you need large amounts of oxygene. You do high reps you need a lot of oxygene, if you do it properly you should be out of breath when finished. Therefore high repage is cardio work.

I am not sure about the specifics of how cardio-like lifting a tiny weight for a pointlessly large amount of reps is but the only bit of truth in that is that you're doing an exercise that burns calories so yes you do burn fat.
But the point being is that there is nothing special about doing high rep ranges for burning fat. If you want to do that, get your diet fixed and perhaps have a jog.
Reply 43
I go to the gym 3 times a week and I'm the skinniest person there (apart from the sixteen year old kids and women).
Reply 44
teriaki
I am not sure about the specifics of how cardio-like lifting a tiny weight for a pointlessly large amount of reps is but the only bit of truth in that is that you're doing an exercise that burns calories so yes you do burn fat.
But the point being is that there is nothing special about doing high rep ranges for burning fat. If you want to do that, get your diet fixed and perhaps have a jog.

It wouldn't be a tiny weight it would be like 10-15K dumbells or 50K on on the tricepes. Watever, it's not going to be anything like those tiny 1/2K dumbells.
Reply 45
Jeester

So you're more out of breath after high reps low weight than you are after the reverse, are you? If you want to get picky, then yes, any movement requires energy. Simply existing requires energy. But high reps low weight won't get your heart rate up enough for anything to happen..

Anyway, bored now. If anyone from the Fitness section bothered to frequent H&R, you'd have alot more than two people telling you that you're wrong, but alas...
Reply 46
Can we stop using the word 'toning'? What is 'toning'? Its called muscle building or bulking.
Reply 47
Jeester
It wouldn't be a tiny weight it would be like 10-15K dumbells or 50K on on the tricepes. Watever, it's not going to be anything like those tiny 1/2K dumbells.

It doesn't matter. Firstly there are MUCH better ways of burning calories, such as running since that involves your entire body. Unless you're going to be doing 20 minutes of non stop clean and presses, you're going to be better off jogging.
FranticMind
Hmmmm to be honest they are the primary ways in which to do it. Reduce fat intake, maybe switch to more carbs?

Although they would already be on a high carb diet no doubt....

Is there a real reason why an indivdual can't do those two?

The reason being is, if you had a high intake of both fat and carbs, then your body will gain energy from carb whilst storing fat at the same time. Whereas if you had a low carb diet then your body will burn of most of the carbs during exercise and thereby start to burn fat for energy when you are revising or sleeping. Not only so but there would be less carb to absorb the fat :yep:
Igor00
So you're more out of breath after high reps low weight than you are after the reverse, are you? If you want to get picky, then yes, any movement requires energy. Simply existing requires energy. But high reps low weight won't get your heart rate up enough for anything to happen..

Anyway, bored now. If anyone from the Fitness section bothered to frequent H&R, you'd have alot more than two people telling you that you're wrong, but alas...

This.
Sadly, I get taught the same bulls**t in my A-Level P.E lessons :/
Jeester

So how many reps can you do consistently with a 15k dumbell?
The infamous 'high rep low weight' method is what you see women doing under the instruction of misguided personal trainers, curling 2K dumbells while squatting against the wall.
The only gain I can see from high reps low weight is an increase in muscle endurance, but I wouldn't count on that!
Igor00

Mate, this is in Fitness now.

I think most people just can't be bothered to go through this crap yet again.
Reply 52
Anonymous
I see these men in the gym who life all these heavy weights but there is no muscle definition their upper arms just looks like excess fat and flabby yet they are so fit and strong:confused: I wonder how is it possible to be this strong and have been going to the gym so long yet not have any muscles showing, how do guys get bodies that actually look muscly and toned?

I know, look at this fatty:

Stronger than your scrawny ass can ever hope to get.
Reply 53
Arturo Bandini
Mate, this is in Fitness now.

I think most people just can't be bothered to go through this crap yet again.

Aye, must have been moved while I was gone. Ah well.
This thread is making me want to punch babies
Reply 55
Because not everyone wants to be a vain narcissist that spends more time counting calories and posing in the mirror trying to show off their muscles. Some people prefer measuring progress by imperial numbers in terms of performance, not subjectively by how good their 6 pack looks to all the 14 year old girls on the street.

Some people would prefer to just be ACTUALLY strong and not just look like they're strong.

Grow up *******.
Reply 56
SMed
Because not everyone wants to be a vain narcissist that spends more time counting calories and posing in the mirror trying to show off their muscles. Some people prefer measuring progress by imperial numbers in terms of performance, not subjectively by how good their 6 pack looks to all the 14 year old girls on the street.

Some people would prefer to just be ACTUALLY strong and not just look like they're strong.

Grow up *******.

Strong discrediting of the sport of bodybuilding jackass.
Reply 57
Sithius
Strong discrediting of the sport of bodybuilding jackass.

"Sport"?
Reply 58
[QUOTE='[ Parus major ]']so every guy that lifts a lot in the gym and is huge and not ripped....is going for Mr olympia?

Mr. Olympia is a bodybuilding competition, it has nothing to do with how much you can lift.
so much bs in this thread its untrue, although this seems to be a frequent thing in the fitness section.

SMed, bodybuilding is considered a sport by many

Latest