The Student Room Group

What would you call a 'bad driver'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
I have to admit, I tend to hesitate crossing the lights when I'm not sure that there's space for me to get accross, and usually people cotton on there may not be space and tend to wait. If someone does end up stuck behind me I'd move forward as much as possible as there are some really nasty junctions around here and a lot of them a nightmare to see before you find yourself stuck, knowing there will be traffic coming round the roundabout and probably not expecting people in the box junction.

Can you two keep it civil, please :p:

Precisely. You're obviously a normal, considerate driver. I can understand people who are just too inattentive to notice a possible problem developing behind them... but people who DO notice but then deliberately decide NOT to alleviate the situation because of some kind of bizarre idea of "teaching the guy a lesson he won't forget"... I just can't understand that. Surely we all have a duty to try to make the roads safer, especially if its something as simple as just pulling up a little closer to the car in front?
Reply 101
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
If you do want to get an idea how accurate yours is, then sat navs help as they display speed as well and are more accurate. Mine is 5 out but the boy's car is only 2/3 out.

Besides, you should drive in the left hand lane, there is no need to be in the right hand one/two if you aren't going any faster than those in the left.

I am in the left unless overtaking. My sat nav also says the same speed as my speedo.
Original post by Aack
I would second "not having their lights on" - there really is no excuse, other than stupidity, for that. If the lights don't work, you shouldn't be driving when lights are required.

I can't stand people who drive right up close to the back of the car in front - not only is it dangerous, there's no reason to do it. I've been doing 90 in the fast lane and people still do it even when there is a long line of cars ahead of me. I usually slow down to 70 just to annoy them, as I assume they are doing it because they want me out of the way.

This.
Ive had cars do it to me in the past (one of them even hit me up the arse once). There isnt any need for it. It wont make me go faster/move out of the way and let you past. It will just make me stay where i am and go slower just to annoy you. If you want to go somewhere that fast then just overtake me.

I also kind of agree with the lights thing. Although my annoyance is with people who blind you with their main beams. Please dont blind me with your main beams- please turn the main beams off when you see me coming the other way. Likewise- if you are driving behind me, then dont do it either- you can still blind me- every time i look in my mirrors- your lights are all i can see.
Reply 103
A lot of things, really.

Like one of my mates at uni. When it came to spatial awareness and actual driving ability, he was brilliant. He had almost zero road sense. Went speeding everywhere, didn't pay attention to traffic, got right up people's arses, easily distracted. I could go on. Completely reckless.

Then there are people like my sister-in-law, who has nothing. No road sense, no ability; nothing. Speeds in residential areas. Goes too slow on dual carriageways. Doesn't indicate, doesn't check blind spots. Can barely park and so on. But she didn't obtain her license through traditional means, though legal. I would never sit in a car with her.

But, imo. People with little-no road sense and awareness are usually the types I'd label as bad drivers.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't make mistakes. Fortunately, they're usually quite minor and only affect me. I always give them a little bit of thought as to how I could have done better afterwards. But we're only human, so everyone makes little mistakes here and there. It's one reason I've only ever gotten something resembling road rage once and that was due to some moron pulling out as I was going around a roundabout in the rain and almost causing me to crash as I swerved to avoid them. It was a fantastic 3 seconds of car control though and I was too busy trying not to crash my car to say anything other than a few expletives afterwards. I don't think I've ever beeped my horn at anyone either. Never thought I'd have been able to do something like that before it happened.

Original post by Emma:-)
Although my annoyance is with people who blind you with their main beams. Please dont blind me with your main beams- please turn the main beams off when you see me coming the other way. Likewise- if you are driving behind me, then dont do it either- you can still blind me- every time i look in my mirrors- your lights are all i can see.

My older brother does this. He's a distinctly **** driver and has zero consideration of other road users. There have been times where I've been a passenger in his car in the evenings and he'll just leave his full beam on for the entire journey... intentionally. Even when people flash him, he takes it as a joke and just keeps them on. He always boasts about how good he is because of this and that, but he's inconsiderate as hell.
Reply 104
Original post by Emma:-)
Please dont blind me with your main beams- please turn the main beams off when you see me coming the other way.

I love how you worded that! What a polite request! :biggrin:
Reply 105
Original post by ashleyp
I feel Im a terrible driver, Ive been learning for 9 months now, hour and a half every week. I just cant pick it up!

Don't worry about that! It took me 9-10 months to learn. Look at it this way, you're getting more experience on different types of roads, in different weather and in different situations with probably the best person that could be sitting beside you in those circumstances.
Reply 106
People who drive recklessly and perhaps leave very little distance between them and the car in front. I also wonder why idiots in my city tend to stick too close to cars who are slowing down for a corner, over take dangerously as they turn then give them the classic stare outside the passenger window. It's like you wouldn't go round that corner at 40mph your self so why are you getting ****ed off at someone turning on a corner normally.
What would I call a bad driver?

A woman!
Reply 108
Original post by ashleyp
I feel Im a terrible driver, Ive been learning for 9 months now, hour and a half every week. I just cant pick it up!

took me 12 months to get to the point of booking a test - you'll get there eventually :smile:
maybe consider changing instructors, that really helped me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending