The Student Room Group

which architecture courses are the most artistic? PS Fine Art?

Hi guys!

FINALLY, the time to visit open days has come for us year 12 and I've kinda come to 2 courses I'm really interested in (Fine Art & Architecture).
I was hoping I could get some names of universities that have very artistic architecture courses (particularly in the England region, but I don't mind tbh)?
Does anyone do architecture at that particular uni? Personal experiences?
Its just that, I think I would be more suited to the more artistic side however I'm good at maths, so I'm hoping I'll be alright at the technical side!

Thanks in advance! :smile:

PS. does anyone have any advice for taking fine art? Is it worth it? Anyone doing the course? What careers do people end up with commonly after taking the course?
Hi!
I'm in year 12 too and will hopefully be applying for architecture for 2013.
Art is something that I really love too! I'd love to study it at university, but the reason that I've chosen architecture is that it's more vocational and you are training for a specific career.
I've looked at the CSM course and Glasgow School of Art course and they seem arty!

I think I'm going to apply to Edinburgh, CSM, UCL, Cardiff and LJMU.
op I don't think you said which uni it was you are interested in. Would be cautious to check that it is accredited by RIBA as some joint courses are just studying architecture not creating it. That said few Architecture k100 courses are vocational and technical aspects are often limited so you don't really need maths just decent numeracy skills will do. The stuff you will be doing depends on the uni a little but most are quite arty, particularly those in London more, perhaps. So you tend to do more fantasy designs and less what happens day to day in architecture practice hence why I say it is not that vocational as you might expect. I also expected it to be a little more technical and vocational before I started soon find it is lacking somewhat in these. Still its fine doing more arty stuff for a bit or a bit of fantasy design but I think it gets a bit overplayed on many architecture courses.
Reply 3
Well, I'm in a similar situation, gonna do Architecture, but not for the work I could have after, but for all the stuff I will learn while studying. I don't really like the work that an architect actually does, but love the courses and classes they take. I will always have time to change my course if I want to, but want to give architecture a chance. Maybe I'll love the job, but if I don't, my degree will had been a great foundation for other art and design facets. So, I'll definetly enter an arty based school.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Abblecrumble
Hi!
I'm in year 12 too and will hopefully be applying for architecture for 2013.
Art is something that I really love too! I'd love to study it at university, but the reason that I've chosen architecture is that it's more vocational and you are training for a specific career.
I've looked at the CSM course and Glasgow School of Art course and they seem arty!

I think I'm going to apply to Edinburgh, CSM, UCL, Cardiff and LJMU.

Ooo lovely!
I've visited Central Saint Martins for their degree show, they weren't too bad at all! I quite liked their whole ethos of architecture, its quite similar to UCL. But UCL seriously has some high standards!

Original post by Stewie2011
op I don't think you said which uni it was you are interested in. Would be cautious to check that it is accredited by RIBA as some joint courses are just studying architecture not creating it. That said few Architecture k100 courses are vocational and technical aspects are often limited so you don't really need maths just decent numeracy skills will do. The stuff you will be doing depends on the uni a little but most are quite arty, particularly those in London more, perhaps. So you tend to do more fantasy designs and less what happens day to day in architecture practice hence why I say it is not that vocational as you might expect. I also expected it to be a little more technical and vocational before I started soon find it is lacking somewhat in these. Still its fine doing more arty stuff for a bit or a bit of fantasy design but I think it gets a bit overplayed on many architecture courses.

I'm actually interested in Sheffield and Manchester mainly, but I'm not too sure if they're artistic or not. I'm going to the Sheffield open day to see for myself but I just want a heads up! :smile:
Well thats cool then, I mean I have some decent maths skills however if they require something slightly more complex, I think it could be a bit of a challenge.
Why do you say overplayed? And what would you reccommend to look for in the course?
How many years have you completed of the course so far ? :smile:

Original post by Lulila
Well, I'm in a similar situation, gonna do Architecture, but not for the work I could have after, but for all the stuff I will learn while studying. I don't really like the work that an architect actually does, but love the courses and classes they take. I will always have time to change my course if I want to, but want to give architecture a chance. Maybe I'll love the job, but if I don't, my degree will had been a great foundation for other art and design facets. So, I'll definetly enter an arty based school.

Cool! That kinda relates to me because I've decided even if I don't become an architect at the end of the course, I'm pretty sure I'll find something that branches off of it. But I have found that some of the arts schools don't necessarily offer the most arty courses. Apparently this is the case with Glasgow School Of Art. :/
Reply 5
Original post by smartieslover
Ooo lovely!
I've visited Central Saint Martins for their degree show, they weren't too bad at all! I quite liked their whole ethos of architecture, its quite similar to UCL. But UCL seriously has some high standards!

I'm actually interested in Sheffield and Manchester mainly, but I'm not too sure if they're artistic or not. I'm going to the Sheffield open day to see for myself but I just want a heads up! :smile:
Well thats cool then, I mean I have some decent maths skills however if they require something slightly more complex, I think it could be a bit of a challenge.
Why do you say overplayed? And what would you reccommend to look for in the course?

Cool! That kinda relates to me because I've decided even if I don't become an architect at the end of the course, I'm pretty sure I'll find something that branches off of it. But I have found that some of the arts schools don't necessarily offer the most arty courses. Apparently this is the case with Glasgow School Of Art. :/

Can you explain about GSA? I'm really interested because it was one of my firsts choices.
Reply 6
Ooo lovely!

I put Sheffield as my firm, from what I've seen (I've been to 2 open days there now) it is really art based. The fact they ask for an art portfolio and that it is pretty important in the decision process shows that it is an arty course.
Original post by Lulila
Can you explain about GSA? I'm really interested because it was one of my firsts choices.

Well if you read around (esp on TSR) people have commented that GSA is actually one of the least artistic unis for architecture. I don't have first hand experience but I would DEFO advice you to visit. I went to CSM for their degree show and I expected to see some really arty stuff but in all honesty it wasn't as artistic as UCL (I know UCL is known for its arty course but even so).

Original post by Claire888
I put Sheffield as my firm, from what I've seen (I've been to 2 open days there now) it is really art based. The fact they ask for an art portfolio and that it is pretty important in the decision process shows that it is an arty course.

Woooo! I'm going to Sheffield tomorrow! Can't wait :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 8
Greenwich is apparently very artsy - might not be too high up the ranks though

Reply 9
Well if you read around (esp on TSR) people have commented that GSA is actually one of the least artistic unis for architecture. I don't have first hand experience but I would DEFO advice you to visit. I went to CSM for their degree show and I expected to see some really arty stuff but in all honesty it wasn't as artistic as UCL (I know UCL is known for its arty course but even so).

Woooo! I'm going to Sheffield tomorrow! Can't wait :smile::smile::smile:

Okey, I'm gonna research a little bit, since I'm from Spain visiting the school is not an easy thing.

Reply 10
I study architecture at Edinburgh, and the first year is very arty, because you spend it in the College of Art.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending