The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oldham_fran
Can a Young Persons Railcard be used to buy a train Season ticket going in and out of London? There doesn't seem to be an option for one when I calculate a season ticket price.

Nope, season tickets are already discounted.
Hello, I am not much aware what the Off-Peak times are for rail journey. I will be going to Glasgow at around 9 AM and want to return by 13:00. So do these times fall in the Off-Peak zone ?
Can you also tell me from when to when the Off-Peak time lasts ?
Reply 482
Original post by olympus123456
Hello, I am not much aware what the Off-Peak times are for rail journey. I will be going to Glasgow at around 9 AM and want to return by 13:00. So do these times fall in the Off-Peak zone ?

depends where you're travelling from and which train operator you're using.

Where from?
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Where from?

Edinburgh
Reply 485

Off peak going from Edinburgh to Glasgow is after 9am (so the 9:10/15 train)

Your return at 13:00 should be fine, but a single off peak journey costs the same as half an anytime return so if you need to be in Glasgow for 9 you're probably best getting an anytime return

There are specific journeys during the early morning to Glasgow Central that are cheaper though, so you mught want to check Scotrail website or the journey planner on the nationalrail website.
Reply 486
Has anybody ever tried cycling from the North West to the North East?
Original post by BFT
Has anybody ever tried cycling from the North West to the North East?

A bicycle isn't public transport :p:
Reply 488
Original post by rockrunride
A bicycle isn't public transport :p:

Haha oops, i managed to miss the word 'public' in the title. Kindly ignore me :colondollar:
I have a 16-25 railcard.

How much would leaving tomorrow from Wigan to Plumley and returning on the same day cost? I wouldn't like to travel via Manchester.
Reply 490
Original post by WarriorInAWig
I have a 16-25 railcard.

How much would leaving tomorrow from Wigan to Plumley and returning on the same day cost? I wouldn't like to travel via Manchester.

£9.30 for an off peak return route Manchester
I have a 16-25 railcard.

The problem with that is Wigan to Plumley is only really doable via Manchester, unless you fancy going all the way to Chester first, which would be much more expensive and take twice as long.

It'd also be cheaper if you bought separate Wigan - Hale and Hale - Plumley tickets.
I was thinking of taking my bike and travelling to Helsby to cut a corner and avoid Manchester but I think that could be pricey.
Reply 493
I was thinking of taking my bike and travelling to Helsby to cut a corner and avoid Manchester but I think that could be pricey.

Helsby to Plumley is £13.55 return (via Chester), but it's a 26 mile cycle ride to Helsby from Wigan. The other option is going via Warrington, but that'll double the price.
No, I mean take the train to Helsby and cycle to Mouldsworth. You must be mad to cycle 26 miles!!!
Reply 495
Hi, does anyone know a quick and cheap route (any form of public transport is fine) to get from edgware to radlett ? I've looked at going on the national rail train but that's just too expensive for me to go often.
Original post by Wazoat
Hi, does anyone know a quick and cheap route (any form of public transport is fine) to get from edgware to radlett ? I've looked at going on the national rail train but that's just too expensive for me to go often.

Your only other option is 2 buses which will take a lot longer. I'd pay for the train if I were you, or try and drive/get a lift.
Is anyone familiar with London St Pancras?

I'm travelling from the Midlands to London St Pancras tomorrow and will be then travelling to Brighton. Where abouts is the underground in this station and is it easy enough to navigate so that I'm able to make my transition in 15 minutes?
Reply 498
Original post by Discouraged One
Is anyone familiar with London St Pancras?

I'm travelling from the Midlands to London St Pancras tomorrow and will be then travelling to Brighton. Where abouts is the underground in this station and is it easy enough to navigate so that I'm able to make my transition in 15 minutes?

it's beneath the station (hence the name). It;s well signposted, you can't miss it.

15 minutes for what? Getting from St Pancras to Victoria/Charing Cross/London Bridge or whichever station you're using in 15 minutes will be tight, or maybe not possible. It'll take like 6 minutes or more just to walk from the mainline platform to the underground platform. And if your train into London is late......
Original post by PJ991
it's beneath the station (hence the name). It;s well signposted, you can't miss it.

15 minutes for what? Getting from St Pancras to Victoria/Charing Cross/London Bridge or whichever station you're using in 15 minutes will be tight, or maybe not possible. It'll take like 6 minutes or more just to walk from the mainline platform to the underground platform. And if your train into London is late......

Oh, I have 15 minutes to get from the mainline platform to the underground station. So I should be okay if all goes to plan. :smile: Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest