The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by joker12345
I can tell you that Liverpool, Lancaster and UEA will have no bias towards you for being a resitter - the only 'extra' thing that they'll want from you is that you reflect in your personal statement. UEA I've also noticed seems to have accepted lots of resitters.
Personally, I am about to start medicine at Leeds this year but also had an interview at UEA. I had ABBC at A2 and retook to get AAAB.

Thanks for replying, congrats on getting in. Did you have extenuating circumstances if you don't mind me asking? Since I check that Leeds don't seem to accept resitters?

Also have you got any tips in securing an interview at UEA?
Original post by Setsuna
Thanks for replying, congrats on getting in. Did you have extenuating circumstances if you don't mind me asking? Since I check that Leeds don't seem to accept resitters?

Also have you got any tips in securing an interview at UEA?

I did, I emailed Leeds with these and they (and a few other universities) said they were willing to consider me. If you do have anything, consider emailing before applying.
It's difficult to say really as UEA seem to take pretty much everything into account!
Original post by Rumschpringe
I'm resitting the year after getting terrible A2 grades. Applying for Liverpool, Lancaster and Exeter. I'm really loving the look of Exeter but I know they're tough on the UKCAT... Does anybody know what the minimum score is that I should aim for? And any advice?? Tbf as long as somewhere accepts me I will be ecstatic. My family are very skeptical about me applying and think that there is no way I will get in :frown: But I really really want this

Do you not have a 4th choice? I'd definitely advise putting one, the more chances the better - I'd recommend looking into UEA.
As for Exeter, I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 670 but they also have section cut offs.
Original post by DinaRayy
Hey Guys,

I am also a resit applicant as of 15th August. I got BBB close to A's but URGHH. I have extenuating circumstances (chem teacher was off for a bit, have this backed up by my school) and I told Leeds this and they said 'What about the other two B's?' I went on to say I was forced to take time away from the other two and catch up with chem...She was still quite hesitant....

When I told Liverpool this they said extenuating circumstance can be anything that has affected your performance and said that they therefore would accept my situation.

But this lady at Leeds has really made me doubt whether my cirumstance is good enough or not and also I do feel like it was also partly my own fault...

So where it says students must 'reflect this on their Personal Statements' I dont know what to put! Like what do you even say?!

I would be SO grateful for help!

1) have you considered remarks, since you mention you are close? ABB or AAB would look so much better than BBN.
2) you have to be prepared and confident. Figure out EXACTLY what your situation is and how it affected you and be confident.
3) email, don't call. Calling is for urgent situations, email gives you the chance to write everything down, get it looked at by someone who can actually make decisions and gives you written evidence.
4) reflection - well pretty much what caused you to miss your grades and how this has strengthened your determination.
In your situation I'd email saying something like the interrupted teaching meant that you were forced to self study large chunks of your chemistry course and left you with no structure in your study, which in turn added to your stress and tool time away from your other subjects, resulting in a serious under achievement - evidenced by your predicted grades (I'm assuming AAA or above) which you feel reflect your genuine potential.
I retook this year (had ABBC, I did 4 subjects and the c was actually chemistry!) and am about to begin studying medicine at Leeds this year, so it's possible :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey everyone. This year I achieved:

A* Bio
A Physics
B Chem (7 UMS away from an A)

GCSEs: 5A*5A

Although I know that universities such as Liverpool, Exeter and BSMS say they allow resits, does it put me at a disadvantage or do they treat me like everyone else? What are the chances of me actually getting in? I can't afford to take another gap year.
Original post by bla123456
Hey everyone. This year I achieved:

A* Bio
A Physics
B Chem (7 UMS away from an A)

GCSEs: 5A*5A

Although I know that universities such as Liverpool, Exeter and BSMS say they allow resits, does it put me at a disadvantage or do they treat me like everyone else? What are the chances of me actually getting in? I can't afford to take another gap year.

No, it won't put you at a disadvantage if you reflect on it in your PS. For you try a remark of your chemistry? And did you call up the unis you had offers from - lots of people seen to have got in despite getting AAB, and you have A*AB.
Another university you may want to consider is Kelle, they considered A*AB an equivalent to AAA but double check that hasn't changed. There may be one or two more like this as well actually.
Reply 1586
I did, I emailed Leeds with these and they (and a few other universities) said they were willing to consider me. If you do have anything, consider emailing before applying.
It's difficult to say really as UEA seem to take pretty much everything into account!

would you mind telling me your UKCAT from last year? Also I did you tell your exam board about your cirumstances at the time, as I didn't so thought university wouldn't consider my cirumstances.
Do you not have a 4th choice? I'd definitely advise putting one, the more chances the better - I'd recommend looking into UEA.
As for Exeter, I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 670 but they also have section cut offs.

Nowhere else accepts students resitting 3 subjects to re-apply. :frown:

Where can I find what these cut-offs are?
Reply 1588
Original post by Rumschpringe
Nowhere else accepts students resitting 3 subjects to re-apply. :frown:

Where can I find what these cut-offs are?

I think UEA do: http://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine#requirements

"Applicants with less than ABB at first sitting will not be considered."

I do not have ABB. :frown:
Original post by Setsuna
would you mind telling me your UKCAT from last year? Also I did you tell your exam board about your cirumstances at the time, as I didn't so thought university wouldn't consider my cirumstances.

707.5. No, I didn't, I only told the school etc on results day.
Reply 1591
Hey guys, currently I have
ABDcc
In order- Maths Chemistry Physics, Further Maths, Biology
I do have extenuating circumstances, but like someone mentioned before on this thread, didn't want to be treated as some loser by using this excuse. And yeah it was because my parents were on and off and finally divorced midway through my A levels.
Also... I feel like the fact that i had 13 exams in summer was also too much pressure for me :frown:
My tutor refuses to help me and says its too late for medicine and i require atleast AAA and thus tells me to give up
However, I really wish to study medicine as i want to study Neurology as a profession.
Any advice?
What unis can i apply? and my grades are ABD.. what if she refuses to predict any higher?
Minimum requirements?
And.. if i apply with ABD and get rejections, but achieve atleast AAA this summer, can i call them up and they'll give me an offer or not? I dont want to waste another year as I'm already gapping :frown:
During the gap year i'll be doing modular resits, home studying further maths a2, and work experience, job etc to support my PS
i'll take the ukcat in a month, but need to be reassured i'm not making a mistake before those £80 fly out my pocket for a useless reason lol.
Thanks and sorry for the blab!
Reply 1592
707.5. No, I didn't, I only told the school etc on results day.

Did you mention your cirumstance in your PS or you got your referee to do it in your reference?

Also what proves did you send to the universities?
Reply 1593
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Thanks for all the help on this thread. Really appreciated it, I didn't have to resit thankfully.

I hope all resitters apply wisely and are successful :smile:

Best of luck!!
If you need any info I have emailed quote a few unis so pm or quote me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hellooo :smile:
Emm I was wondering, is there anyone else you can ask other than your tutor to do your predicted grades? I'm currently taking a gap year
and my grades are ABDcc
In order Maths A2 Chem A2 Phy A2
Fmaths AS Biology AS
And my tutor just refuses to raise my grades for the 2014 entry and says i should give up on medicine cause it's too late and not possible :frown: Is this true? Cause I really want to do medicine D: ! and could you please quote me the unis that accept resitters?
I am not enrolling for a third yr btw, I'm doing modular resits, is that considered as the same thing?
Reply 1594
I really need some help, im currently an A level student but my results were a bit disappointing in the fact that I got AABC, (German, maths, biology and chem) In biology I was 1 mark of an A. I really do want to apply for medicine in Cardiff. I think I can get my predicted grades to be A*A*AB Hopefully persuade my chem teacher for an A) as that result was really unlike me. im resitting in jan both chemistries. I phoned the uni and they told me my personal statement and predicted grades are more important then my AS results. Would it be possible for me to get accepted? what are my chances?
Original post by nad96
I really need some help, im currently an A level student but my results were a bit disappointing in the fact that I got AABC, (German, maths, biology and chem) In biology I was 1 mark of an A. I really do want to apply for medicine in Cardiff. I think I can get my predicted grades to be A*A*AB Hopefully persuade my chem teacher for an A) as that result was really unlike me. im resitting in jan both chemistries. I phoned the uni and they told me my personal statement and predicted grades are more important then my AS results. Would it be possible for me to get accepted? what are my chances?

I believe you cannot sit exams in January :smile: Apply though, no harm in applying, but you'll have to work super hard to get the C in Chem to an A with resits in June. Its definitely possible. I know people who have got Cs in Bio to an A with retakes and revising with a new technique. Success at A-level is perseverance, practice and technique imo (as well as knowing the stuff ofc)
good luck!
Your question about if you'll be accepted and your chances, no one can comment on as its done on an individual basis, but if you meet the requirements, nothing is stopping you from getting an interview/offer.
I know people with appauling UKCAT and AS results, but just applied very wisely to med schools. Limits you alot yes, but if you put aside where you want to go and apply to places where you stand a good chance, you should be okay :smile:
What were your GCSES?
Reply 1596
Original post by RainieXD
Hey guys, currently I have
ABDcc
In order- Maths Chemistry Physics, Further Maths, Biology
I do have extenuating circumstances, but like someone mentioned before on this thread, didn't want to be treated as some loser by using this excuse. And yeah it was because my parents were on and off and finally divorced midway through my A levels.
Also... I feel like the fact that i had 13 exams in summer was also too much pressure for me :frown:
My tutor refuses to help me and says its too late for medicine and i require atleast AAA and thus tells me to give up
However, I really wish to study medicine as i want to study Neurology as a profession.
Any advice?
What unis can i apply? and my grades are ABD.. what if she refuses to predict any higher?
Minimum requirements?
And.. if i apply with ABD and get rejections, but achieve atleast AAA this summer, can i call them up and they'll give me an offer or not? I dont want to waste another year as I'm already gapping :frown:
During the gap year i'll be doing modular resits, home studying further maths a2, and work experience, job etc to support my PS
i'll take the ukcat in a month, but need to be reassured i'm not making a mistake before those £80 fly out my pocket for a useless reason lol.
Thanks and sorry for the blab!

Your chances don't look good I'm afraid. You can try and ask the universities if they would consider your extenuating circumstances but it's possible that they will be reluctant since you didn't disclose them beforehand. If your extenuating circumstances are expected you really must be predicted at least AAA if not higher in order to stand a chance. Anything lower will just not be good enough unfortunately.
If you receive AAA after resitting then you could always take another gap year and apply provided the universities you contact, agree to accept an application from you. It's pretty much next to impossible for you to ring up on results day and ask for an offer.
If you have your heart still set on medicine you could always go down the graduate entry route.
Reply 1597
Original post by MedMed12
I believe you cannot sit exams in January :smile: Apply though, no harm in applying, but you'll have to work super hard to get the C in Chem to an A with resits in June. Its definitely possible. I know people who have got Cs in Bio to an A with retakes and revising with a new technique. Success at A-level is perseverance, practice and technique imo (as well as knowing the stuff ofc)
good luck!
Your question about if you'll be accepted and your chances, no one can comment on as its done on an individual basis, but if you meet the requirements, nothing is stopping you from getting an interview/offer.
I know people with appauling UKCAT and AS results, but just applied very wisely to med schools. Limits you alot yes, but if you put aside where you want to go and apply to places where you stand a good chance, you should be okay :smile:
What were your GCSES?

in terms of the resits wjec still allows resits for January as I did enquire, my gcse results are 8A* and 4A's. I really want to apply for Cardiff do I stand on goodish ground for that????
Reply 1598
Original post by nad96
in terms of the resits wjec still allows resits for January as I did enquire, my gcse results are 8A* and 4A's. I really want to apply for Cardiff do I stand on goodish ground for that????

I'd say you do provided you get the required predicted grades. Cardiff put quite a bit of emphasis on GCSEs grades and yours are great so no problem there. Just make sure you have a good personal statement too.
Original post by nad96

not sure what their resit policy is if you are retaking the year, but you could apply to Liverpool, Lancaster :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending