The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit/Gap year

If my A-Level grades are not AAA or above, is it better for me to resit and apply again or do another course and do graduate entry for medicine? Which one is more competitive? :frown:
Reply 1
I’ve heard the GMAT or whatever it’s called it extremely challenging. There are pros and cons to taking a gap year, I personally took one and have no regrets. I got myself a full time job, saved lots of money and gained lots of real world experience. Obviously I’m going to be biased to taking a gap year. Doing another degree may make you realise you don’t want to do medicine in the first place. It’s a tricky choice either way!
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply.
Yeah honestly i don't think i want to do the GMAT :s-smilie: But the thing is if i dont get the grades i will have to resit. I just don't know if its harder for resit students to get in med or graduate students :cry2:
Reply 3
Original post by Katara.
Thank you for your reply.
Yeah honestly i don't think i want to do the GMAT :s-smilie: But the thing is if i dont get the grades i will have to resit. I just don't know if its harder for resit students to get in med or graduate students :cry2:

First and last articles here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7063146 may be worth reading. Strong steer generally to resit if you want to end up doing medicine
Reply 4
Original post by Justapapa
First and last articles here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7063146 may be worth reading. Strong steer generally to resit if you want to end up doing medicine

thank you so much :shakehand:
Original post by Katara.
If my A-Level grades are not AAA or above, is it better for me to resit and apply again or do another course and do graduate entry for medicine? Which one is more competitive? :frown:

There are many options. You could redo your A levels, do graduate-entry medicine or do undergraduate medicine (after a degree, however, there are some funding issues you need to consider). Doing some research might be useful so you can think about what your best options are moving forward :smile:.
Reply 6
Original post by Katara.
thank you so much :shakehand:

And good luck with your grades! Also to state the obvious if you do miss out on grades and places, see how close you are to grade boundaries and think about remarks. As well as moving a B possibly to an A, perhaps moving a strong A to an A* could end up helping?
Reply 7
Original post by Justapapa
And good luck with your grades! Also to state the obvious if you do miss out on grades and places, see how close you are to grade boundaries and think about remarks. As well as moving a B possibly to an A, perhaps moving a strong A to an A* could end up helping?

Thank you! :smile: Yeah i really hope i can at least get 3 As :colonhash: but i will definitely get them remarked :yy:
I'm not a medicine applicant but someone in my chem class this year had ABB first time round and was resitting math and chem this year(they were top of my class btw and I'm pretty sure they're going to get A*s). They were successful in getting 3 medicine offers so maybe this would be the right way to go? Just sharing in case it helps!
Reply 9
Original post by pigeonwarrior
I'm not a medicine applicant but someone in my chem class this year had ABB first time round and was resitting math and chem this year(they were top of my class btw and I'm pretty sure they're going to get A*s). They were successful in getting 3 medicine offers so maybe this would be the right way to go? Just sharing in case it helps!

Oh wowww that's amazing!! Thank you for sharing that, i'll remind myself this often to keep me motivated!! :thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending