The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haidaralinasir
Liverpool and Exeter definitely. Contacted lancaster and am waiting on a reply. UEA, Plymouth and another University said i cannot apply as i need to have achieved AAB on first attempt (i achieved ABC).

I'm really surprised UEA said this, it was not their policy when I applied (for 2013 entry) and UEA have always maintained a pretty positive outlook towards resitters. Not accusing you or anything, just genuinely surprised and wanted to double check!
Just a warning to everyone considering Exeter - I'm not sure what they've said about their policy via email but their site seems the same as when I applied. Anyway, I emailed about their selection procedure and they said in pretty much these words that applicants would be ranked based on UKCAT and predicted/achieved A level grades. I emailed to confirm which grades I'd be assessed as a resitter and they said predicted A levels only, they'd ignore achieved.
Turns out when they actually selected either they didn't follow this policy at all, either they were selecting on different criteria or they assessed me based on achieved grades (though I emailed to ask this and they confirmed they didn't). I had a UKCAT of 710, predicted A*A*AA (and 11A*'s at GCSE, so it wasn't that) and people with lower scores in both areas were interviewed. Wasn't my PS either as when I asked for feedback they said I didn't scored highly enough in the academic assessments. Tbh, I think they assessed on my then-achieved A levels of ABBC.
I got into Leeds anyway so I'm over it but just to let you guys know!
Reply 1662
Original post by joker12345
Just a warning to everyone considering Exeter - I'm not sure what they've said about their policy via email but their site seems the same as when I applied. Anyway, I emailed about their selection procedure and they said in pretty much these words that applicants would be ranked based on UKCAT and predicted/achieved A level grades. I emailed to confirm which grades I'd be assessed as a resitter and they said predicted A levels only, they'd ignore achieved.
Turns out when they actually selected either they didn't follow this policy at all, either they were selecting on different criteria or they assessed me based on achieved grades (though I emailed to ask this and they confirmed they didn't). I had a UKCAT of 710, predicted A*A*AA (and 11A*'s at GCSE, so it wasn't that) and people with lower scores in both areas were interviewed. Wasn't my PS either as when I asked for feedback they said I didn't scored highly enough in the academic assessments. Tbh, I think they assessed on my then-achieved A levels of ABBC.

Hi, in response to that most recent post ^. did you get into leeds after your resits or based on your original A levels? If you got in after resits did you apply/get an offer the first time of application? Thanks

What did they mean by the academic assessments, the ukcat?
Original post by JMCEF
Hi, in response to that most recent post ^. did you get into leeds after your resits or based on your original A levels? If you got in after resits did you apply/get an offer the first time of application? Thanks

I applied based on my original A levels and got an offer of AAA witch I then achieved. And no, didn't apply first time.
Original post by Ali Hyder
What did they mean by the academic assessments, the ukcat?

No idea, they weren't willing to go into specifics, just gave me the usual 'high volume of competition' spiel. Doubt it was my UKCAT as people with far lower scored were shortlisted, I think it was because they ranked based on my achieved A levels rather than resit predictions ...

Well this has put the ****s up me xD

I got A*ABB and was under the impression that if I got predicted AA or above in my B's, and got a decent ukcat that'd be it... That's what they said at the open day :s-smilie:

Really concerned now xD

Also, what was your experience with Leeds like, were they pretty accommodating for circumstances? I'm not sure how they'll view an application from me as I got an offer last year and didn't take it :/
Yeh lpool said they accept retakes. And so did lacaster. Tho they both said u have to mention why u missed ur grades/ circumstances and the skool to confirm it in the reference. And ofc be predicted an A in the sub u missed ur grade in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you can't give a legit reason, don't give one at all. Instead talk about what you've learned from it, your renewed motivation and determination, conviction and commitment hence you're reapplying etc. The Medical Schools that accept resitters (without extenuating circumstances) aren't looking for an explanation, they accept that people make mistakes and are willing to give a second chance. You need to show why you deserve that chance, not explain away all past mistakes.

I wouldn't say this. It'll just look like you're making excuses and aren't taking responsibility.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. Lancaster and liverpool did say to mention the need for resit but i guess since I dont actually have a proper reason I'll just write about my commitment etc like you said.
Reply 1669
Original post by trish900
I always promised myself that I would write on this post if I ever got an offer. Yesterday I received an offer and I can’t quite believe it. Here is my story…

Where have you received the offer from?

Original post by trish900
My advice if you come out with BBB at alevel (along those lines and have no MC) and you want it enough go to uni, do biomed have a ball then get four interviews as you didn’t resit then study hard for five years.

Surely any degree grade overrides A Levels? ie are you saying if I were the resit and not get any offers but go on to do a degree and apply then I wouldn't be able to apply to the Unis that don't accept A Level resits despite meeting the academic requirements for degree entry? (I have AAB pre-resit so can't imagine that the A Level requirements for applying with a degree will be higher than that)

Thanks
I have a questions for resit applicants regarding registering with UCAS. Do I put my biology Alevel as pending or the actual grade, which I got a B in? :s-smilie: thanks!
Original post by shuckface
I have a questions for resit applicants regarding registering with UCAS. Do I put my biology Alevel as pending or the actual grade, which I got a B in? :s-smilie: thanks!

Put both.
Original post by Dr. Django
Well this has put the ****s up me xD

I got A*ABB and was under the impression that if I got predicted AA or above in my B's, and got a decent ukcat that'd be it... That's what they said at the open day :s-smilie:

Really concerned now xD

Also, what was your experience with Leeds like, were they pretty accommodating for circumstances? I'm not sure how they'll view an application from me as I got an offer last year and didn't take it :/

Yeah, that's exactly the impression I was under but it wasn't the case for me - that's why I posted my warning! All I can really give are the facts, I had A*A*AA predicted and 707.5 UKCAT, and people with lower UKCAT's were shortlisted. Tbh, as a resitter there's little you can do, choices are limited so don't worry too much about it, you just have to hope for the best - but if you have another place that you're considering replacing Exeter with, it might be a good thing to consider.
Yeah, they were great. They didn't reply to my email at first but after a few phonecalls the subdean (I think) wrote back personally that they'd be happy to consider me. I don't think that's an issue - I hadn't even applied there before, by applying at least you showed you were interested in Leeds!
Put both.

Hi thanks for the reply. However I am not resitting at my old school so would I put the one 'pending' under the school I will be resitting at?

Cheers
Yeh it wud seem so. Cuz i have to as well. Tho im not sure whether they will easily agree to predict an A.
And u have u done the ukcat?
Yeh it wud seem so. Cuz i have to as well. Tho im not sure whether they will easily agree to predict an A.

Im so confused! So does UCAS automatically send off my application to the different school who then check them and predicts my grade, and then the schools send it off? ARGH

yes Ive done my UKCAT, pretty terrible this time around compared to last year :/ 640. what about you?
Im so confused! So does UCAS automatically send off my application to the different school who then check them and predicts my grade, and then the schools send it off? ARGH

yes Ive done my UKCAT, pretty terrible this time around compared to last year :/ 640. what about you?

Im pretty confused as well. Tho im talkin to my old skool to predict me an A. Tho i dunno if the application can be from two skools. But i dont wanna study biology at my skool again. And no i havent done the ukcat. Its on 22nd. Still havent gotten used to the ****test calculator on earth.

Cant u just ask ur new skool to predict u an A?
Cant u just ask ur new skool to predict u an A?

I phoned up the new school where I'll be resitting at and they said they don't predict my grades as they are just a centre for the exams...so it'll be my old school who predicts my grades. Which is annoying because I emailed my old school 2 days ago and they haven't even been bothered to reply back!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending