The Student Room Group

Being monitored at work

I work on the tills in PC World, and I found out today that I'm now going to be monitored because of high discounts and a low strike rate for selling instant replacements (similiar to extended warranties). I find this pretty irritating seeing as the reason why my discount is so high is because a ridiculous amount of price tickets in the store are wrong and things like BOGOF offers don't get added to the system so I have to discount them manually.
As far as instant replacements are concerned, I explain the benefits to every customer but the simple fact is that most people don't want it, and the target % they set is just ridiculous. I have a pretty good strike rate for things like printers, iPods and cameras, but it asks for it on monitors and some items that are under £30, which understandably no one is ever interested in and it drags down my figures. Management complain that I should bargain and offer discounts when people say they don't want it but there is no time when I am the only person on the till and there is a queue of 10 people, and people really resent being pressured into buying things.
Now I have to find a manager every time I need to discount, which is absolutely ridiculous. What am I supposed to do when there is a long queue and they are not around (which is always)?
This post has pretty much been one long whinge, but anyway I am interested in hearing other peoples stories of being on some kind of probationary thing, especially if you work somewhere similar.
kayscout
I work on the tills in PC World, and I found out today that I'm now going to be monitored because of high discounts and a low strike rate for selling instant replacements (similiar to extended warranties). I find this pretty irritating seeing as the reason why my discount is so high is because a ridiculous amount of price tickets in the store are wrong and things like BOGOF offers don't get added to the system so I have to discount them manually.
As far as instant replacements are concerned, I explain the benefits to every customer but the simple fact is that most people don't want it, and the target % they set is just ridiculous. I have a pretty good strike rate for things like printers, iPods and cameras, but it asks for it on monitors and some items that are under £30, which understandably no one is ever interested in and it drags down my figures. Management complain that I should bargain and offer discounts when people say they don't want it but there is no time when I am the only person on the till and there is a queue of 10 people, and people really resent being pressured into buying things.
Now I have to find a manager every time I need to discount, which is absolutely ridiculous. What am I supposed to do when there is a long queue and they are not around (which is always)?
This post has pretty much been one long whinge, but anyway I am interested in hearing other peoples stories of being on some kind of probationary thing, especially if you work somewhere similar.

I'm a supervisor at Sainsbury's and if someone is making mistakes then we monitor them secretly over a period of about a month (for example we check the amount of money is correct in the till, do observations, security checks). Then we collect our findings and confront the colleague, just saying "you need to improve x, y and z otherwise we will have to take further action".
From the sounds of it, you are just trying to provide the best customer service you can. I had targets in one of my previous employers but I used to hate badgering people to buy things, and some employees just lie and pressure people to take up insurances and buy add-ons etc.

I'd just do as they say - if it compromises the quality of the service, then that's not your fault. I'm guessing that you're not planning on staying there too long?
thats interesting ive always wanted to know how the grunts can give discounts out just to get you to buy stuff i thought it was the head offices job
how do they know how much to take off
(though admitedly i havnt seen this happening in quite a while)
davireland
I'm a supervisor at Sainsbury's and if someone is making mistakes then we monitor them secretly over a period of about a month (for example we check the amount of money is correct in the till

Id imagine you'd check the money was correct in the till, even if they were not on probation or making mistakes, if you dont then i think ill get a job there, only joking, lol.

Id just explain to your manager what you have said here, cause it sounds like your doing the right thing, but i suppose you gotta please your manager, and not yourself when you work for a large corporation thats only intrested in £
Reply 5
That just sounds ridiculous - sure you can offer customers things at discounts and that's great but come on now... really, you can't be expected to force discounted products on the customer.

I AM NEVER WORKING IN RETAIL AGAIN.
kayscout

I work in currys.
Its not a probationary thing - its called something else but means that if your not hitting your targets - then could lead to more stuff. Im not sure i havent been on one.
I think it would be your hero (if its nr enough the same as currys).
If the buy one get one free things arent in customer offers go to the manager each and every time.
It shouldnt come up for stuff under £30.
I could offer you some info and tips!!

Latest

Trending

Trending