The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

The screen is telling me they haven't income assessed me because I haven't provided financial evidence from "Sponsor 2".

I don't have a sponsor 2. :colonhash: They told us to send a letter saying my mum had never been married etc but it doesn't seem to have helped... Should I wait? Argh, I'm ringing them anyway.
LFDDAP
A tip: sending your stuff to the Glasgow office rather than the Darlington one seems to get things processed a lot faster.

I have a problem of my own though, that hopefully someone can help me out with.

I'm a little confused on my notifcation letter.

Tution Fees

Course fee amount as stated on your application £3225
Maximum loan £3225
Loan requested £3225
Loans to be paid (this will be paid directly to your university/college) £3225
The amount you need to pay your university/college £0

Maintenance Loan

Basic loan (non-income assessed) £4988
Plus loan subject to income assessment £1940
Less loan substituted for grant* £1453
Less assess contribution to living costs £0

Maximum loan available £5475
Loan to be paid £5475

Supplementary Grants

Maintenance Grant £2906

--------------------------------------
I don't understand why I have so many different maintenance loan figures - I don't know where the numbers are being plucked from! It seems that I've got a maintenance grant that fits my parents income (£2906) but I have no idea how that realtes to the figures above it.

But my main worry was that there is no mention of a bursary from the university on this lsit. I said on my application that SF England can share the info with my university - I am eligible for a maintenance grant so I should be eligible for a bursary, yet that is not listed in the tuition fees category. Should it be?

Thanks

Your university will pay your bursary (which are you going to?) so I don't think it will be there.

You're getting your tuition fee loan (3225) paid to your university.

You're getting 5473 maintenance loan and 2906 maintenance grant. Congrats! You are sorted :smile:
Reply 942
Applying to SAAS and really confused. Is your parents income before or after overtime?

Thanks in advance
HELLO! I have tried to read through all the q&a but the sheer magnitude has put me off :biggrin:

My question #1 is:
I have sent off all my information, and they are continually telling me everything is finalised but I have no grant? :confused: I have read that some people have not been means-tested either even though they have sent all the necessary information and are eligible (like myself). Basically what is going on?

Question #2: I am entitled to the university grant/bursary but I am not sure if I agreed to sharing the information with the uni, how should I confirm that I have/haven't: via the uni, student finance helpline or both?

Many thanks :h:
Reply 944
littleshambles
Your university will pay your bursary (which are you going to?) so I don't think it will be there.

You're getting your tuition fee loan (3225) paid to your university.

You're getting 5473 maintenance loan and 2906 maintenance grant. Congrats! You are sorted :smile:

Thanks for clearing that up - I'll get in touch with the university just to be sure, but I was just a little worried looking at the form.

So I will have to pay, maintenance-wise, £2567 (£5473-£2906), this year?
LFDDAP
Thanks for clearing that up - I'll get in touch with the university just to be sure, but I was just a little worried looking at the form.

So I will have to pay, maintenance-wise, £2567 (£5473-£2906), this year?

Huh? What do you mean? No, you won't have to pay anything. You will receive £8379 (i just added that up in my head but i think it's right) altogether to live on this year (not including uni bursary).
Reply 946
I meant that I have a maintenance loan of £5475...of that, do I have to pay back £2569 (which is my loan amount minus £2906 [my grant])?

Or have I misunderstood?

Thanks again.
Reply 947
You pay back anything (when earning 15k pa) called loan.
Reply 948
orionmoo
Your getting the £3225 paid straight to uni for tuition, and you are getting £4510 in a loan and £881 in a grant - so £5391 maintenance in total.

The *'d bit is what's been substituted for a grant. Basically they'll reduce your loan by £1 for every 50p grant you get (or the other way round, if you can make sense of what i'm saying), roughly, up to a certain amount. It's slightly confusing but the top two values are from non income assessed income assessed - the original loan amounts. Then they're just taking 400 quid off you in loan and giving you 800 quid in grants instead

Ah....thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 949
lnjames
The weird thing is, I sent it on paper. But the woman said that they recorded it as an online application in their database. Should I send it back anyway?

shet, i forgot to reply. Yeah you need to send it back. Without the decleration you wont be able to recieve any loan/grant nor pay for your course. Its just what people who applied for student finance online has to go through.
Reply 950
I don't know if this is the right place to ask-if someone could help I would be VERY greatful.

I logged onto Student Finance Online this morning to find out that i've FINALLY been assessed, yay! However, it says in my notifications part (it wont let me open the GIF formats) that i will be receiving in the post one letter that says I need to enter bank details and one letter that states the grant and loan i will get. i know this sounds like a silly question, but with the bank details does this now mean i have to go and open a student account ASAP and fill these details in online? Do i have to do this before I send back my signed declaration form which states my loan/grant amounts?

thanks to anyone who can help
Reply 951
On my final financial notification it says I get the full £3225 tution fees loan, and for maintenance loan I get £3564 (non income assessed) but £0 (subject to income assesment) so what does that mean?! I thought mine was income assessed as family income is less than 25k. I also thought I was entitled to a £1500 bursury ... where do I get that from?!?! Arrrggh, Please help :smile: x
Reply 952
Flossy_
I don't know if this is the right place to ask-if someone could help I would be VERY greatful.

I logged onto Student Finance Online this morning to find out that i've FINALLY been assessed, yay! However, it says in my notifications part (it wont let me open the GIF formats) that i will be receiving in the post one letter that says I need to enter bank details and one letter that states the grant and loan i will get. i know this sounds like a silly question, but with the bank details does this now mean i have to go and open a student account ASAP and fill these details in online? Do i have to do this before I send back my signed declaration form which states my loan/grant amounts?

thanks to anyone who can help

you have to make a bank account, without it you wont be able to recieve the money. You expect they send it to you in cash? Well ask you parent, im sure you have SOME sort of savings account.
Reply 953
Adding to what Kaishou said, it doesn't have to be a student account, but has to accept payments from SFE.
Reply 954
Kaishou
you have to make a bank account, without it you wont be able to recieve the money. You expect they send it to you in cash? Well ask you parent, im sure you have SOME sort of savings account.

i wasnt asking whether you did or didnt need to have a bank account, im not that stupid. i was asking whether i needed to open the account before i sign my agreement cos im assuming the money will go directly there as soon as you sign it.

if someone could help that would be great
Reply 955
melhunt
On my final financial notification it says I get the full £3225 tution fees loan, and for maintenance loan I get £3564 (non income assessed) but £0 (subject to income assesment) so what does that mean?! I thought mine was income assessed as family income is less than 25k. I also thought I was entitled to a £1500 bursury ... where do I get that from?!?! Arrrggh, Please help :smile: x

Melhunt, dont worry!
Atm they are sending this out to everyone- it's basically saying that you are entitled to the least amount of money regardless of what happens. they are sending these out to anyone they havent assesed yet (hence why it says subject to income asssment.) it's just a notification basically saying 'we are far behind, you will get SOME money, we just havent assesed you properly yet'

so just wait for your actual income assessed amount, im sure it will come soon :smile:
Flossy_
i wasnt asking whether you did or didnt need to have a bank account, im not that stupid. i was asking whether i needed to open the account before i sign my agreement cos im assuming the money will go directly there as soon as you sign it.

if someone could help that would be great

You don't get the money til you enrol at your Uni in Autumn.
Reply 957
reddevilleanne
You don't get the money til you enrol at your Uni in Autumn.

thank you :smile:
Has anyone got anywhere by sending their financial evidence as photocopies and not the originals? I sent them off, haven't heard anything, so I messaged student finance asking if they accepted photocopies and they basically said that they did if they were readable.

Then I got an email saying I'd been non-income assessed until they received my financial evidence, and they mentioned sending original documents (original was in bold :s-smilie:). I'm assuming this maybe just means for passports/birth certificates?
Flossy_
thank you :smile:

No problem! Thanks for the rep :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending