The Student Room Group

Is nostalgia depressing?

I need to open up, when I was once at a young and innocent age I was unaware at how great my life was. On winter nights Id walk home alone after schools football practice and arrive home to find my Mum had made me a nice dinner, Id sit infront of the TV and watch Nickelodeon without a care in the world.
On summer days Id climb trees and stay out with friends until the sun was setting, then Id walk home and run to the kitchen for a glass of water which would drip down my neck as I was so thirsty, Id go upstairs and play with my toys then watch Nickelodeon (it was good come on)

And i've just been on a nostalgia trip, its all come back to me. I can smell something, taste something or hear something which will take me back. But this is where it gets interesting, rather than me going 'wow those were the days, that was good' i think 'damn I wish I could go back, life was good back then'

So my question is do you find nostalgia depressing? is it meant to be? I'll always have those memories and I'll always love them, but when I compare those days to my own now I get slightly depressed.

...Growing up, what a b**** :frown:

Here's the video that made me nostalgic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID-MXoD3h9Y&feature=fvw

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
Yes nostalgia is depressing.
Reply 3
"It's time to forget about the past, to wash away what happend last" (Yes, it's from the song, "Beautiful Lie" by 30 Second to Mars). It's the best remedy to depressive nostalgia and, polar to that, narcissism and egocentrism.
Reply 4
nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Yep.
Reply 6
Depends on what you remember and how you use the memory.
Wow... TSR is getting pretty depressing at the moment.

I hate nostalgia conversations though, something intoxicated students always bring up. No, Power Rangers WAS *****...
Reply 8
It's depressing as hell. I loved those times. The smell of my grandparents' house. Playing football. Those thoughts make me want to die...life was so impossibly good back then.
Reply 9
Veil of Maya
I hate nostalgia conversations though, something intoxicated students always bring up. No, Power Rangers WAS *****...

Totally. Such an unoriginal conversation starter. Pokemon, kids' TV, people peeing with their pants down, people pissing themselves in assembly...yeah had that convo millions of times :smile:
depends if they were good memories
Reply 11
Oh, incredibly so. I'm forever wishing I was a child again. You don't realise how bloody good you've got it until you grow up and it goes away.

And Nickelodeon rocked back in the day. It's total ***** now.
Reply 12
If it is a good memory then i don't find it depressing, i feel glad it happened. If it is a memory where i'd done something stupid, i think **** i should've dealt with this differently or seized that opportunity. Instantly after i think, oh well, it's done now and then spin it into some kind of positive lesson.
Reply 13
On that video, the only program I remember was keenan and kel. :p:
Reply 14
Some people have children to get back to those happy days.
CinderellaDontGo
I need to open up, when I was once at a young and innocent age I was unaware at how great my life was. On winter nights Id walk home alone after schools football practice and arrive home to find my Mum had made me a nice dinner, Id sit infront of the TV and watch Nickelodeon without a care in the world.
On summer days Id climb trees and stay out with friends until the sun was setting, then Id walk home and run to the kitchen for a glass of water which would drip down my neck as I was so thirsty, Id go upstairs and play with my toys then watch Nickelodeon (it was good come on)

And i've just been on a nostalgia trip, its all come back to me. I can smell something, taste something or hear something which will take me back. But this is where it gets interesting, rather than me going 'wow those were the days, that was good' i think 'damn I wish I could go back, life was good back then'

So my question is do you find nostalgia depressing? is it meant to be? I'll always have those memories and I'll always love them, but when I compare those days to my own now I get slightly depressed.

Here's the video that made me nostalgic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID-MXoD3h9Y&feature=fvw

i remember playing marbles and having friends who liked me for me, and coming home from junior school half an hour late, because me and my friends would take the longest route possible home, and kicking the pub door to annoy the drunk men, and other random stuff..
my home life on the other hand was pretty f'd to say the least, and so at least now i think i'm in control of my own life, so its not depressing in many ways..
maybe we can think that one day we're gonna look at the present day and long for this day, so maybe we've got a pretty good life right now, and we can make the most of it
theguest
Oh, incredibly so. I'm forever wishing I was a child again. You don't realise how bloody good you've got it until you grow up and it goes away.

And Nickelodeon rocked back in the day. It's total ***** now.

So true, what's wrong with the likes of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. I swear they have like 4 shows that they just repeat over and over. A few shows that stay in my memory are Kenan & Kel, Sabrina, Saved by the bell, Dexters lab, Coursge the Cowardly Dog and a short lived programme called Tucker.

I might write a letter to the head of Nickelodeon and ask them to have a ''90's week'' on Nickelodeon lol
Reply 17
it can be somewhat depressing, but that's not what i would call it exactly. it's a good kinda depressing. i love nostalgia, it almost always makes me go "aww i wish we could go back to that time", or is that what nostalgia entails by definition. :confused: :rolleyes:
CinderellaDontGo

Life was simpler back then buddy,
I do not get depressed I just cherish the memories and think to myself it is now time to become a big boy and fight the world.
Nostalgia should not be depressing it should give you a small warmth.
But as you stated, nothing can be as good as those days.
CinderellaDontGo
So true, what's wrong with the likes of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. I swear they have like 4 shows that they just repeat over and over. A few shows that stay in my memory are Kenan & Kel, Sabrina, Saved by the bell, Dexters lab, Coursge the Cowardly Dog and a short lived programme called Tucker.

I might write a letter to the head of Nickelodeon and ask them to have a ''90's week'' on Nickelodeon lol

I loved Sabrina and Are You Afraid of The Dark :love: ah, the good old days :moon:

Latest

Trending

Trending