The Student Room Group

Can someone mark this Question 4 Paper 1 English Language 2018

I agree with the statement to an extent because Mr Fisher is shown to be a creative man who hasn’t got much hope and faith in his students and believes that the younger generation is lazy and has a strong feeling of nostalgia for the storybooks and compares the changes to how it was back in the olden days which shows how surprised he is when one of his students are creative and have a sense of imagination so he gets a glimmer of hope after all.

The writer shows how much Mr Fisher adores fiction books and believes that all his students “lacked imagination". This is portrayed as to how much Mr Fisher is beginning to lose his love of stories and becoming as dull as the students. The writer makes the reader think that the story wouldn’t change, and that Mr Fisher’s perspective of the children is negative but then a twist is added in which attracts the reader’s attention. This changes the whole perspective on what the reader would think would happen because of the “strange sensation” Mr Fisher begins to feel and it shows a connection between himself and Tibbet. It describes it as if “a long unused muscle had been brought into action "which must be describing his love of stories as a part of him. Mr Fisher describes his astonishment as if he finds “a nugget of gold the size of his fist" comparing gold to the stories showing how valuable and priceless it was to him. This helps the reader to be able to distinguish the extreme reaction that Mr Fisher had experienced and could feel the pride that Mr Fisher had in Tibbet and all feelings of negativity had been washed away as Mr fisher “found himself beginning to smile”. There is no thorough context on what Tibbet’s story was actually about, but Mr Fisher uses simile to describe it being “as meaningless as trying to describe a loved one’s face in terms of nose, eyes, mouth” .This shows how the stories were a part of him and he saw them as a person instead of stories which shows how lost he would be without them.

On the other hand, Mr Fisher had known that there was something special about Tibbet and thought there was “a spark in him which deserved attention.” This shows that even though there was an extreme reaction from Mr Fisher he always knew that Tibbet was an “amiable boy” and didn’t lack imagination like the other students in his class and knew that he would go far even if he wasn’t a “brilliant scholar". The reader is able to tell that Tibbet wasn’t as bothered about writing stories since he “obviously done part of his homework on the bus” but Mr Fisher still believed that he would be the one to carry on the tradition and the customs of the golden stories and make sure it would never be forgotten Fisher already had expectations of Tibbet’s work and he thought that the five o’clock bus he was now almost certain to miss was less important than reading Tibbet’s work. This shows that Mr Fisher’s extreme reaction was also linked to the fact that he knew Tibbet’s work would be worth reading but wasn’t expecting it to really touch him and recreating the sense of nostalgia.
Reply 1
Original post by student13572
I agree with the statement to an extent because Mr Fisher is shown to be a creative man who hasn’t got much hope and faith in his students and believes that the younger generation is lazy and has a strong feeling of nostalgia for the storybooks and compares the changes to how it was back in the olden days which shows how surprised he is when one of his students are creative and have a sense of imagination so he gets a glimmer of hope after all.

The writer shows how much Mr Fisher adores fiction books and believes that all his students “lacked imagination". This is portrayed as to how much Mr Fisher is beginning to lose his love of stories and becoming as dull as the students. The writer makes the reader think that the story wouldn’t change, and that Mr Fisher’s perspective of the children is negative but then a twist is added in which attracts the reader’s attention. This changes the whole perspective on what the reader would think would happen because of the “strange sensation” Mr Fisher begins to feel and it shows a connection between himself and Tibbet. It describes it as if “a long unused muscle had been brought into action "which must be describing his love of stories as a part of him. Mr Fisher describes his astonishment as if he finds “a nugget of gold the size of his fist" comparing gold to the stories showing how valuable and priceless it was to him. This helps the reader to be able to distinguish the extreme reaction that Mr Fisher had experienced and could feel the pride that Mr Fisher had in Tibbet and all feelings of negativity had been washed away as Mr fisher “found himself beginning to smile”. There is no thorough context on what Tibbet’s story was actually about, but Mr Fisher uses simile to describe it being “as meaningless as trying to describe a loved one’s face in terms of nose, eyes, mouth” .This shows how the stories were a part of him and he saw them as a person instead of stories which shows how lost he would be without them.

On the other hand, Mr Fisher had known that there was something special about Tibbet and thought there was “a spark in him which deserved attention.” This shows that even though there was an extreme reaction from Mr Fisher he always knew that Tibbet was an “amiable boy” and didn’t lack imagination like the other students in his class and knew that he would go far even if he wasn’t a “brilliant scholar". The reader is able to tell that Tibbet wasn’t as bothered about writing stories since he “obviously done part of his homework on the bus” but Mr Fisher still believed that he would be the one to carry on the tradition and the customs of the golden stories and make sure it would never be forgotten Fisher already had expectations of Tibbet’s work and he thought that the five o’clock bus he was now almost certain to miss was less important than reading Tibbet’s work. This shows that Mr Fisher’s extreme reaction was also linked to the fact that he knew Tibbet’s work would be worth reading but wasn’t expecting it to really touch him and recreating the sense of nostalgia.

altho i'm not the best person to mark this,, i feel like ur answer is rly good n u can easily get a lvl 4 mark, however i'll suggest that instead of constantly using "this shows.." i think u should use "this can suggest" or "this indicates" idkkk to me it jus makes the answer sound more professional?? n well thought out ++ try to look for a deeper meaning in each quote using "this further shows" (ex. comparing stories to gold can further suggest that he'll never want to lose them or how he thinks stories are meant to be, like gold, valuable to every1 and can never lose their value) <3333

+++ i only got these ideas based off watching a bunch of mr salles yt vids lol
Reply 2
Original post by mzzz_k
altho i'm not the best person to mark this,, i feel like ur answer is rly good n u can easily get a lvl 4 mark, however i'll suggest that instead of constantly using "this shows.." i think u should use "this can suggest" or "this indicates" idkkk to me it jus makes the answer sound more professional?? n well thought out ++ try to look for a deeper meaning in each quote using "this further shows" (ex. comparing stories to gold can further suggest that he'll never want to lose them or how he thinks stories are meant to be, like gold, valuable to every1 and can never lose their value) <3333

+++ i only got these ideas based off watching a bunch of mr salles yt vids lol

thankss for the advice it was really good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending