The Student Room Group

Help concering placement

Hi

Im going on my first placement very soon and just wondering what sort of shoes people recommend as many people on my course are confused on what sort of shoes to wear... obviiously comfy but is there any particular ones... like protection, colour etc. I'm not fussed what shoes look like just that they are comfortable.

And does anyone know if hosptials want any particular ones.

I no this seems quite simple but want to make sure im safe and comfortable

lozy7
Hi

Im going on my first placement very soon and just wondering what sort of shoes people recommend as many people on my course are confused on what sort of shoes to wear... obviiously comfy but is there any particular ones... like protection, colour etc. I'm not fussed what shoes look like just that they are comfortable.

And does anyone know if hosptials want any particular ones.

I no this seems quite simple but want to make sure im safe and comfortable

Does the trust have a uniform policy?
Reply 2
yea but just says 'Footwear should be safe and appropriate for the job' . Any help lol x
My trust used to specify black, lace up, flat shoes. Velcro and elastic cannot be washed effectively and slip ons can slip off when you're running in an emergency situation (even though you're not supposed to run). They should protect your feet from splashes and spillages and sharps etc.
Perfect_Gent
My trust used to specify black, lace up, flat shoes. Velcro and elastic cannot be washed effectively and slip ons can slip off when you're running in an emergency situation (even though you're not supposed to run). They should protect your feet from splashes and spillages and sharps etc.
When it comes to footwear, not many people take things to the letter of the policies though, you'd end up wearing some kind of safety boot.

I'm sure somebody will be along in a minute to discredit what I say, I know I fell out with one TSR member ages ago about footwear. Then again, I think most members that come into the Healthcare/Medical threads have fallen out with that member at some point.
Reply 5
Black trainers (unless they have specified not to wear trainers) should be fine as long as you get a pair that looks quite smart.

I know a few people who wear crocs, I can't imagine anything worse...imagine spilling a catheter bag on them...
I've worn these for the past four years both on placement and at work and they are very comfortable if a tad grannyish! However after 11 hours on your feet grannyish seems irrelevant. Crocs were banned by one trust for some reason to do with infection control. I can't remember the details, it's just vague memory of something I read.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ladies-BLACK-Free-step-WASHABLE-Laceup-Nurses-Shoe-8-BN-/250625652432?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Women_s_Shoes&hash=item3a5a73f6d0
kamc
I know a few people who wear crocs, I can't imagine anything worse...imagine spilling a catheter bag on them...
I know somebody that dropped a syringe/needle and put their foot out to stop it hitting the floor whilst wearing crocs and ended up in Occ Health, their trust had a bit of a crack down after that.
Reply 8
puddlejumper
I've worn these for the past four years both on placement and at work and they are very comfortable if a tad grannyish! However after 11 hours on your feet grannyish seems irrelevant. Crocs were banned by one trust for some reason to do with infection control. I can't remember the details, it's just vague memory of something I read.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ladies-BLACK-Free-step-WASHABLE-Laceup-Nurses-Shoe-8-BN-/250625652432?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Women_s_Shoes&hash=item3a5a73f6d0

Haha I love the "or for anyone who'd like a stylish shoe"!

They seem pretty good OP, look comfy and are cheap!
Reply 9
Thanks everybody... I doubt I'll wear crocs wouldnt like the thought of a needle going through the lil holes :s-smilie: lol

Thank you again :biggrin: x
TRAINERS, I bought some for my theatres placement- and now its finished, I stick by them now as opposed to my old flat soled, nice and smart shoes!!

I have these, they support my ankles, my feet dont get so swollen and I can still keep going on my 3rd long day in a row!
http://www.shoe-shop.com/invt/sch191328

They may be £50 but the best investment ive ever had!
kamc
Black trainers (unless they have specified not to wear trainers) should be fine as long as you get a pair that looks quite smart.

I wore some cheap crocs on my theatres placement for a while as I was waiting for bursary to come through, and I was very concious about the socks I was wearing, the sister didn't even wear any socks with hers, we couldnt have holes in them, but you were very concious of how thin and flimsy they were
Reply 12
My experience is that some trusts are more picky than others. I've got some cheap generic black trainers but if I'd got placement at one local hospital I'd have had to supplement these with some black shoes
1. does the HEI have a rule on footwear as part of it;s Uniform policy for students - if so what does that say ?

2. Trusts often have policies the the enforcement of which is variable, needless to say several of my colleagues wear footwear which is within the spirit if not the letter of our uniform policy and it doesn't seem to be an issue

the poster who said " some kind of safety shoe if you followed the policy to the letter" - it is a little bit of an over egged pudding but i have worn CBHs and Magnums to work - Ambulance staff are often issued Magnums or 'fakes' as their uniform footwear - though obviously they spend a significantly greater propertion of their time in less controlled environments ...

i have also worn ordinary black leather lace up shoes / boots and black / very dark grey/ navy trainers or trainer type shoes , when i worked in theatres i wore theatre shoes ...

Crocs are evil and aren't anti static , also the holes increase the risks not only from splashes , but a dropped sharp which would bounce off a decent trainer or leather shoe could go into your foot through one of the holes in a Croc
Reply 14
bhs!!!! go there haha, it sounds bad, but they have so many what i would often refer to as granny shoes that they're perfect for placement lol! they have a specific range thats something like tlc range i think, thats what mine are, they're all good sensible black shoes that cover your foot but they're like nicely padded too so they're really comfy, my feet hardly ever ache even after loads of shifts on my feet :smile:
Reply 15
I got mine in BHS too. They are very grannyish, but so comfy. And honestly when you're doing long days, you dont care if you are wearing granny shoes.

Latest