The Student Room Group

Why did America get away with bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adam_zed
Because it was for the "greater good" or some sh**. I too am interested in this question.

Why do you think they did it?

I'm gonna get back to this thread later today, when I'm at home, kk.
Original post by adam_zed
LOL I swear this is from South Park?

It is indeed.
Reply 22
Denying the effects of the Fat Man and Little Boy is the same as the Nazi Party denying that the Holocaust ever happened. In my opinion.
Original post by Sani-Insanity
Just wondering

Because it was war and war justifies atrocities - as warped as that may be.
Either way hundreds of thousands of Japanese would have died anyway. If the US didn't use the nukes they'd have fire bombed the cities.
cos history is written by the victors
I swear I've heard/read Japan was in the process of surrendering and the US knew it. They just wanted to show the world, well Russia, they had this great weapon. Like Dresden it was a horrible act that would have been vilified by the Allies had axis powers done it. But oh well, like 9/11, the US gets away with it again.
Because Japan attacked Pearl Harbor first.
Reply 28
Just wondering

For the same reason that Japan got away with many of their war atrocities. And how they still get away with denying/playing down the events of The Rape of Nanking, even going as far as mediating their history textbooks to say that it either didn't happen, or that only a few 20,000 died in the massacre instead of over 200,000. And no, I'm not biased against Japan. Japanese is my degree atm >_> Bet you didn't know that one of the very people carrying out live human experimentation in Unit 731 went on to become the founder of Japan's largest pharmaceutical company after the war; not to mention that Emperor Hirohito, the man that sanctioned all the war atrocities such as the Bataan Death March and the PoW death camps got away with it. In short, both countries pulled strings to get away with their war atrocities.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Aramiss18
I swear I've heard/read Japan was in the process of surrendering and the US knew it. They just wanted to show the world, well Russia, they had this great weapon. Like Dresden it was a horrible act that would have been vilified by the Allies had axis powers done it. But oh well, like 9/11, the US gets away with it again.

This prompted me to find the leak cable around the date. Interestingly, there were barely 10 cables published on the year 2001 in wikileaks.. hmmmm thoughts?
Original post by She_Bittersweet
Because Japan attacked Pearl Harbor first.

2,402 personnel killed versus hundreds of thousands of civilians vaporized or left to die of radiation sickness by the bombs.
Original post by hamijack
Because the only other option (an invasion of Japan) would have been much more costly for both sides.

This. This very much
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
2,402 personnel killed versus hundreds of thousands of civilians vaporized or left to die of radiation sickness by the bombs.

I didnt justify it i just said the reason :rolleyes:
Original post by She_Bittersweet
I didnt justify it i just said the reason :rolleyes:

my bad :biggrin:
Reply 34
Simple really. They bombed Pearl Harbor. Killed 2k men. So the US nuked 250k people. Makes sense, right?
Reply 35
It's amazing how much war can change people so much. Even the most timid person can turn into a killing machine.
Didn't the US send a representative for the first time this year? (65th anniversary). Until then they hadn't sent anyone, since they still believed that they were right to bomb Japan and that attending a memorial service would show a 'weakness' on their part-I mean fair enough but don't they have any respect for the fallen?

(PS Pearl Harbour was not the reason why the atomic bombs were used. :rolleyes: )
Just wondering

Pearl Harbour?

America are the most powerful country in the world so no one's got nothing on them? :eek:
Reply 38
Because public opinion was on their side.
Reply 39
The bombings saved lives on both sides.It helped end the war quickly.

But i really would like to see america get attacked.Theyve it coming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending