The Student Room Group

*Support for NHS students announced- aka medics, nurses, physios*

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/Workforce/WorkingintheNHS/DH_128397

Views?...waaay overdue (by about 18months).

So seems everyone will be eligable for a £1000 grant, with a means tested bursary..and then the student loan.

Hmm..better or worse than whats on offer now for students in these disciplines?! Personally i'd much rather have this than what I'm recieving at the moment!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
is this for graduate entry too?
is graduate entry medicine looking more promising?
Reply 2
Original post by melodie
is this for graduate entry too?
is graduate entry medicine looking more promising?

Reading the furthur information it appears so, but I would have a ready yourself
Reply 3
Hi sorry but it says for students studying in England, what about English students who want to study in Wales?
Reply 4
Original post by rosemary22
Hi sorry but it says for students studying in England, what about English students who want to study in Wales?

Wait to see? ...I don't know..ask the institution?
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin:
'Existing students will remain on the current scheme'

:cry2:
Reply 7
Original post by crazylemon
Does this include those currently on a course but not yet entitiled to the busary. Basically would I be on this system or the old system since I started in 09 but wont be eligible for another 2 years..

Edit: Bugger old system.

No..I know! It would mean for my last month on my course I could get a bigger bursary..but nooooooo

Turns out on the last month I won't be even getting a bursary, despite having to deal with waiting for my first pay check the month AFTER...or even two depending on payment cycles, and it being a very expensive time with graduation fees, professional registration, insurance etc.

Thats another rant...
Reply 8
Good for future students. Bah humbug.
Reply 9
I am annoyed that it just means I get half what I live off now for the last two years because I will be means tested out of a bursary. That 1k would have been a nice consolation for the 2.5 I lose...sigh. At least I was aware this happened so have built savings, so many people on my course I get the feeling have no idea.

Yeah last year you get less money, happens for everyone.

Hey at least I am not paying 9k so lose 2k but save 36...

True, Im really glad they're keeping tuition fees free for non-medical students aswell. I think nursing applications personally would drop majorly if we were paying tuition fees, especially for the undergrad option. It's a nice incentive that we don't pay, (although i'm sure if nursing/allied health courses had the same application rates than medicine that would change)- but there was a big threat/talk that we would have too.

It's worth it in the long run though. No pain, no gain...my motto right now!
It would be interesting so see, I think you would get a drop but how much I don't know.

But yes they rape med students for all they can simply because well, they can.

It would- I think we'd get an awful lot less mature students (average age of a student nurse is 29, and the average amount of dependants they have is 2!). They make up the majority of students who study nursing really, it's scary how low school leavers are considering nursing as a career option, and if they are a recent study showed 40% of school leavers planned on not staying in nursing long-term but using it to go into other careers.

NHS rapes medical students...but abuses nursing students as free labour! lol
Reply 11
Original post by Subcutaneous
Wait to see? ...I don't know..ask the institution?

Hi thanks for the reply. Looked it up online, you get a 2900 bursary but no grant which isn't bad at all. I thought they might scrap the bursary but then people could have applied for a maintaince grant which they can't now, swings and round aboutp
Hi thanks for the reply. Looked it up online, you get a 2900 bursary but no grant which isn't bad at all. I thought they might scrap the bursary but then people could have applied for a maintaince grant which they can't now, swings and round aboutp

Make sure you don't confuse what is currently in place and what has JUST been announced today
Reply 13

In wales you get a £558 bursary per month but your not allowed another student loan/grant from the government
Reply 14
Original post by Subcutaneous
Make sure you don't confuse what is currently in place and what has JUST been announced today

Good point. I'll keep an eye on the website to see if it changes. Thanks.
Reply 15
Original post by RAPSTER
In wales you get a £558 bursary per month but your not allowed another student loan/grant from the government

Oh k i might be reading the stuff from last year. Thanks.
Reply 16
Original post by RAPSTER

Also is this only for Welsh students or also for English students? and would a year at uni be about eight months?
Original post by lekky
Good for future students. Bah humbug.

I demand free money!
Reply 18
Sorry, no good at reading that sort of jargon, but does that mean that all med students (from 2012) will be eligible for £1k maintenance from the NHS?
Reply 19
Original post by JoeLatics
Sorry, no good at reading that sort of jargon, but does that mean that all med students (from 2012) will be eligible for £1k maintenance from the NHS?

Seems that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending