The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Applicants 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Supernova*
This is probably going to sound like a really stupid question, but is there such a thing as a reading list or list of recommended texts for graduates? :redface: Has anybody been in touch with their supervisor since they were made an offer, or done any preparation for their course? Again, sorry if it's a stupid question. Any advice much appreciated!

I also received one (two, actually) from my department a few weeks ago, also unsolicited. I wouldn't worry about not having one yet - mine's just making me feel guilty for not having read any of it :tongue:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I went to Oxford for the first time yesterday. I absolutely loved the city. I was a bit annoyed with my college though cause I told them
I'll be a student there and they wouldn't believe me. I had to show them some documents for them to believe me and even then they had a weird face like they were fake. I didn't manage to see the whole college cause there was a wedding going on and I couldn't even go to the famous dining hall because there was a huge line with tourists and I didn't want to wait.
I couldn't even visit any other college because they all had signs "closed for visitors" and I didn't want to explain to all of them this and that. But by looking at them from outside I regret choosing Christ church. I don't know why but I didn't like it that much :s
I fell in love with the bodleian though. And in general the city is so beautiful. I can't wait to be living there :biggrin:
Reply 2642
Anyone gonna go for MSc in MMSC at Oxford for 2012 start?
Original post by HankJones
Have any of the international students gotten their ATAS certificates yet (if their course required one)? How long did it take? The FCO website says 20 working days but I've heard that in years past, it has sometimes taken 2-3 months to get one issued. I've hit 15 working days and will wait until 20 before asking for an update, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how long I'll be waiting for. I can't apply for a visa until the ATAS gets issued, so I'm getting somewhat antsy.

For the sake of posterity (or the lurkers in the thread), I received my ATAS certificate 17 working days after submission. Thus, the 20 working days estimate on the website (at least in my case) was rather precise.

Now it's time for me to apply for my student visa! Hopefully it won't take too long so that a) I still manage to make it to Oxford for week 0 and b) I can find a decent price on my flight.
Reply 2644
Original post by Xristina
I went to Oxford for the first time yesterday. I absolutely loved the city. I was a bit annoyed with my college though cause I told them
I'll be a student there and they wouldn't believe me. I had to show them some documents for them to believe me and even then they had a weird face like they were fake. I didn't manage to see the whole college cause there was a wedding going on and I couldn't even go to the famous dining hall because there was a huge line with tourists and I didn't want to wait.
I couldn't even visit any other college because they all had signs "closed for visitors" and I didn't want to explain to all of them this and that. But by looking at them from outside I regret choosing Christ church. I don't know why but I didn't like it that much :s
I fell in love with the bodleian though. And in general the city is so beautiful. I can't wait to be living there :biggrin:

But Christ Church is so beautiful!! I'd say it's the most scenic college. Talking of the Bodleian, apparantly Queen's college's library is one of the most well-stocked (for both regular and rare collections) college libraries. Plus it looks amazing too. One of the main reasons I chose Queen's! Definitely check it out once you're enrolled, I certainly will be! :smile: Also I'll be living opposite your college in Queen's St Aldate's accommodation!
Original post by MarcD
But Christ Church is so beautiful!! I'd say it's the most scenic college. Talking of the Bodleian, apparantly Queen's college's library is one of the most well-stocked (for both regular and rare collections) college libraries. Plus it looks amazing too. One of the main reasons I chose Queen's! Definitely check it out once you're enrolled, I certainly will be! :smile: Also I'll be living opposite your college in Queen's St Aldate's accommodation!

To be honest, they annoyed me a bit with their attitude, and then they wouldn't let us walk in the middle of the quad because apparently there was a wedding going on (I don't see why I couldn't walk at the quad since they were at the chapel but anyway)
Honestly, it seemed like it's more a tourist attraction than it is a student environment.
I think once I have my card and once all the students are back I will like it more :smile: it is very impressive, I just think perhaps I would have liked a smaller one.
Do you know if we ll have seminars etc at the department or the professors' colleges?
Reply 2646
To be honest, they annoyed me a bit with their attitude, and then they wouldn't let us walk in the middle of the quad because apparently there was a wedding going on (I don't see why I couldn't walk at the quad since they were at the chapel but anyway)
Honestly, it seemed like it's more a tourist attraction than it is a student environment.
I think once I have my card and once all the students are back I will like it more :smile: it is very impressive, I just think perhaps I would have liked a smaller one.
Do you know if we ll have seminars etc at the department or the professors' colleges?

I know what you mean, that was actually one of my concerns and that's why I didn't go for one of the more well-known colleges. Christ Church was off-limits to me anyway as I'm not reading one of the 'permitted courses' there. If I remember correctly I think Queen's is essentially off-limits to tourists. But yeah obviously once you're properly settled in it'll feel more like home :smile:

I'm not sure about where we'll be having seminars. I've been wondering about that for a while actually. I've heard college from some and department from others, so perhaps it's subject-specific...maybe even tutor-specific? I've been allocated my moral tutor, but not my academic tutor yet so only time will tell I suppose!

I'm hoping college, as I'm far closer to the bulk of the colleges than my department.
yeah where seminars take place is really up to the people running them.

i'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at christ church. presumably you won't actually be living on site, though? a lot of grads barely ever come into contact with their colleges so i guess it could have been worse.
Original post by probably not
yeah where seminars take place is really up to the people running them.

i'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at christ church. presumably you won't actually be living on site, though? a lot of grads barely ever come into contact with their colleges so i guess it could have been worse.

It wasn't that bad, I will probably end up loving it when I explore the inside. And the library seems awesome but I couldn't go in. True though, I probably won't have to go to my college at all. Which is a bit sad really, I'd like to be a part of it.
Original post by MarcD
I've been allocated my moral tutor, but not my academic tutor yet so only time will tell I suppose!

Do you mean a college tutor?
It wasn't that bad, I will probably end up loving it when I explore the inside. And the library seems awesome but I couldn't go in. True though, I probably won't have to go to my college at all. Which is a bit sad really, I'd like to be a part of it.

It is really up to you how you decide to associate with your college. The key point is that, unlike an undegraduate student, post-grads can choose not to really engage with their colleges. If you want to be involved though, you can participate in social activities, sports, and other ECs....and choose to hang out at your college on a daily basis.
Reply 2651
Original post by chochu444
Do you mean a college tutor?

Well on the letter I got from Queen's it said moral tutor (college advisor in brackets). But yes, before I read the letter I would've said college tutor :p:

Original post by chochu444
It is really up to you how you decide to associate with your college. The key point is that, unlike an undegraduate student, post-grads can choose not to really engage with their colleges. If you want to be involved though, you can participate in social activities, sports, and other ECs....and choose to hang out at your college on a daily basis.

That's a relief, I got a bit of an impression that grads didn't fit in with the college culture as much as undergrads and was a bit disappointed. I'd like to be able to immerse myself in the college experience and do the whole "societies, formal dinners, college events, etc." thing :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MarcD
Well on the letter I got from Queen's it said moral tutor (college advisor in brackets). But yes, before I read the letter I would've said college tutor :p:

That's a relief, I got a bit of an impression that grads didn't fit in with the college culture as much as undergrads and was a bit disappointed. I'd like to be able to immerse myself in the college experience and do the whole "societies, formal dinners, college events, etc." thing :smile:

Oh wow...a moral tutor...interesting...I did not know some colleges called them that!

As regards colleges, you are right, if you are a post-graduate in a mixed college, you might find that the emphasis is usually towards undergrads, as most of their experience revolves around their college. However, I am pretty sure all graduate colleges have MCRs and if you find that graduates are not getting good options/opportunities to feel a part of the college, you could even choose to be active in your MCR to provide better facilities for graduates. In any case, I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for you to make friends, both graduates and undergraduates, and be active in college if you would like to do so.

Good luck!
Original post by Tory
Hello! I'm coming to Oxford (English MSt 1550-1700, Balliol) in Oct, and I have a car (which of course mostly I won't be driving, but commitments outside Oxford make one necessary!), but I can't find anything on the Balliol website or the MCR website that says anything about parking. I'm living in (or near) Holywell, so I'm thinking there must be side streets I can park down?! Any info appreciated!

Thanks! :smile:

You should get in touch with the college and ask if there is anywhere that you can park. Some colleges have a limited amount of parking available, but you won't be able to park on the side streets near there as it's very central. Parking in Oxford is difficult!

Usually seminars take place in the department - grads, on the whole, are taught entirely in their department - but you may have tutorials in your supervisors' college. As they're one on one it varies. What course are you doing?

Original post by MarcD
I know what you mean, that was actually one of my concerns and that's why I didn't go for one of the more well-known colleges. Christ Church was off-limits to me anyway as I'm not reading one of the 'permitted courses' there. If I remember correctly I think Queen's is essentially off-limits to tourists. But yeah obviously once you're properly settled in it'll feel more like home :smile:

I'm not sure about where we'll be having seminars. I've been wondering about that for a while actually. I've heard college from some and department from others, so perhaps it's subject-specific...maybe even tutor-specific? I've been allocated my moral tutor, but not my academic tutor yet so only time will tell I suppose!

I'm hoping college, as I'm far closer to the bulk of the colleges than my department.

Those letters from Queen's are funny. They refer to your moral tutor, but once you get there, they are called your college supervisor or college tutor. There are only a few of them, looking after all the Queen's grads. You'll see them once a term for an update, and they sometimes have to sign forms for you. Who is yours?

Original post by MarcD

Colleges are genereally undergrad focused but the MCR at Queen's is pretty good. There is an MCR dinner every Monday and quite a few college events usually.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2654
I emailed the Exeter college accommodation lady today to find out when we can move in/get info about moving in and all, and she said something about them mailing out information packs next week! Just in case any Exonians out there are interested : )
I am doing classics Little Jules. I am guessing that when I have meetings with my supervisor they will be at their college right ?
I am doing classics Little Jules. I am guessing that when I have meetings with my supervisor they will be at their college right ?

It depends on the individual, some will prefer to meet you in the department, if they work there most often, and some in their college. It may vary according to the time - and where they are on a given day.
Original post by felixbr
Well it appears I as well do not have any accommodation and since I am single and only registered for a year course, I am not eligible for University Private Accommodation.

Since it is now up to me to get my accommodation sorted, I was just wondering if there was a thread for similar people in the same situation? Do most "unfortunates" seek to live alone ?

In fact, how does the social life work out? Doesn't one miss out completely on the college experience ... ?

I got accepted to Kellogg. Can anyone give me some idea as to how it is?

EDIT: Just found out about Studentpad. However, it's only for university students .. what to do ?

Kellogg will be an amazing experience. Its a graduate college. Great crowd, and, from what I've heard, the best food in the University of Oxford. Congratulations on being accepted :biggrin:
Reply 2658
Original post by Little Jules

Those letters from Queen's are funny. They refer to your moral tutor, but once you get there, they are called your college supervisor or college tutor. There are only a few of them, looking after all the Queen's grads. You'll see them once a term for an update, and they sometimes have to sign forms for you. Who is yours?

Colleges are genereally undergrad focused but the MCR at Queen's is pretty good. There is an MCR dinner every Monday and quite a few college events usually.

Haha fair enough, yeah it said that it was a termly thing really. Mine is Dr. Panos Papazoglou. Know anything about him? There wasn't much online, just that he's from the maths department and works on Geometric Group Theory.
Original post by MarcD
Haha fair enough, yeah it said that it was a termly thing really. Mine is Dr. Panos Papazoglou. Know anything about him? There wasn't much online, just that he's from the maths department and works on Geometric Group Theory.

Ooh he is Greek. Give him some baklava of some feta and you ll be the best of friends.
Haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending