The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by velocet
Sooo going Tesco tomorrow, try and pick up some cheap ringbinders. Thanks guys.

I think there's going to be a whole bunch of us at Tesco! :biggrin:

Random but... I still haven't got a rucksack yet. I'm trying to justify spending my last bit of money on one. I don't understand why my parents are so disinterested in getting me things! I'm in love with this one (yes... I know I'm not a bloke but.... I love it!) but it costs soooo much! I'm also not sure it's big enough. I need one that will hold more than one folder and a laptop! But then it might limit how much I carry. I've pretty much murdered my back over the last few years. There's also this which I don't like as much but it's cheaper and it looks like it's strong.... but then if I want one like that, I can find an even cheaper one! Decisions, decisions! I don't like those really bulky rucksacks if I'm entirely honest! But I refuse to give myself a hunchback and a messed up shoulder by using anything else. :tongue:
Mum just got me 4 lever arch folders :awesome:
Reply 102
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I am disorganised!

I've been at school for a week and I'm already behind on homework, lost one of my pens, and don't have a clue what's going on. Ahhh school life nothing like it.
Reply 103
Oooh stationary!
I so wish I had a paperchase near where I live. There isn't one in Scarborough either :frown: I've seen a nice pencilcase on their website This one so I'm wondering weather to buy that or just use my old one from last year which has owls on it.
I use the narrow lined paper from rymans. I had to go for the premium quality one this time though as they didn't have the normal one so it should be even better. People used to laugh at how small the lines were but I write small anywhere and you can fit more onto a page.
I'm also using these from last year as well.
Oh and a paisley print diary from WHSmith. (I would put a link on here but they don't seem to have it on their website)

I haven't really had to get much stationary this year though.
And this thread is making me want to go to Tesco now but the nearest one is like 30mins away in the car. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by diamonddust
Your dad works for Palgrave Macmillan? That's so awesome! If I were you I'd be perpetually pestering him for free study guides and stuff! I've just realised how sad I am. I think I need a moment.

Well he works for Macmillan but that obviously includes Palgrave as well :biggrin: It's been really handy, when I did my A levels he got all the textbooks I needed for free :biggrin:

I went to visit him once and it's like book HEAVEN - it's basically just a big warehouse of books and the staff can buy things for crazily reduced prices, plus they have this big 'bin' of books they can't sell (and usually it's only little scuffs or a bent pack page or something) that they can take for free! I filled up a suitcase of free books :colondollar: Best day ever! (I am also quite sad, haha :biggrin:)
I think I've gone a bit overboard with my shopping. I've bought no end of pens, pencils, highlighters, notepads, notebooks and folders, oh and a memory stick!
Oh how I love stationary :smile: And Paperchase, I would spend a fortune in there if I could...

Funny thing is, I never thought my brother noticed my obession with it, until he bought me a filofax from Paperchase for my birthday! It's gorgeous, purple with birds on it, and perfect for my organisation addiction! It's so cute, with a timetable and diary and note pages. It's even got a to do list, with a box to tick off :biggrin: (It's sad how excited I am about a filofax, but they are genius!)

I can't wait to go stationary shopping, I have a huge list to fill. I didn't replace any of my stuff once exam period was over, and all my things had run out, so I'm excited to get a whole new set :smile: I need...

Lined Paper
Black Biros
Red Pens (I like to print off my work and then make notes and edits on it)
Blu-tack
Highlighters
Post-it Notes
Sharpener/Rubber
Glue
Paper Clips
Stapler/Staples
Holepunch
New Files
Dividers
Cue Cards

Bring on the organised fun :biggrin:

Oh dear I'm sad...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tabers
Oooh stationary!
I so wish I had a paperchase near where I live. There isn't one in Scarborough either :frown: I've seen a nice pencilcase on their website This one so I'm wondering weather to buy that or just use my old one from last year which has owls on it.
I use the narrow lined paper from rymans. I had to go for the premium quality one this time though as they didn't have the normal one so it should be even better. People used to laugh at how small the lines were but I write small anywhere and you can fit more onto a page.
I'm also using these from last year as well.
Oh and a paisley print diary from WHSmith. (I would put a link on here but they don't seem to have it on their website)

I haven't really had to get much stationary this year though.
And this thread is making me want to go to Tesco now but the nearest one is like 30mins away in the car. :frown:

I have the owl pencilcase too :smile:
Original post by Besakt
I've been at school for a week and I'm already behind on homework, lost one of my pens, and don't have a clue what's going on. Ahhh school life nothing like it.

What the hell??? I am not letting that happen to me again.

I am in a rush to get stationery for College. I start on Monday. :smartass:

But I do not know what I really need tbh.

I am gonna be on top of Homework, revision etc.....
Reply 109
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
What the hell??? I am not letting that happen to me again.

I am in a rush to get stationery for College. I start on Monday. :smartass:

But I do not know what I really need tbh.

I am gonna be on top of Homework, revision etc.....

All I have is a really big pad of lined paper 4 Lever arch files one for each subject.
1 bic red pen.
1 bic black pen.
Pencil, ruler sharpener rubber.
All you need really.
I might buy some dividers and some paper wallets. Just so they look a little neater.

I said the same thing a week ago, lasted me one day. It was because I had a large biology project due which was supposed to be done over the summer but I did it in a night, which meant not doing other homework and piling up etc..
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone know if more expensive fountain pens don't clog up when the nib is exposed for a prolonged period of time?

My W.H. Smith cheap fountain pen does this, so it's difficult to use when taking notes. It's fine for about 10 minutes and then starts to block.
anyone know of any shops in UK that sell those notebooks that you find abroad the ones with squares not lines :smile: prefer for some reason this type of paper and notebooks?

Going to draw up my list of stuff need this year ready for a big shop of things, i currently have one academic diary but this my increase to 2 dependant on how i feel (last year i had 2)
Just ordered this. I shouldn't have started this thread, it's fuelling my obsession. If I keep buying things I think someone's going to have to drag me to rehab. I plan on discarding the paper it comes with. Because cheap WHSmith paper= ew and wide ruled paper= double ew. :colondollar:
I don't even think anyone wants to know what my expression upon seeing this is. IT EXISTS!
10 in a pack for £10.99 and the quality isn't too shabby!
(edited 12 years ago)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by jojospacemunky
anyone know of any shops in UK that sell those notebooks that you find abroad the ones with squares not lines :smile: prefer for some reason this type of paper and notebooks?

Going to draw up my list of stuff need this year ready for a big shop of things, i currently have one academic diary but this my increase to 2 dependant on how i feel (last year i had 2)

I think I saw square paper in Rymans but I think it was just a pad of paper not a notebook. Maybe try looking in there though. They might have some.
Original post by jojospacemunky

There's a brand with a bright orange cover (can't remember the name, sorry!) that has really nice looking squared notebooks that aren't too expensive. I'm sure Pukka Pads do squared notebooks. I've seen some in Smiths and I think Wilko does it too. I actually got a squared project book from Rymans in my AS year that was amazing.

I'm just about to get ready to go to Staples to see if I can pick up my pack of narrow ruled notepads and some special offer lever arches without paying extortionate P+P. :tongue:
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
Expensive fountain pens do not tend to block up.
I enjoy collecting and using fountain pens, and never have an issue with clogs.

** I should add, that if you buy a good brand then as the price starts to go up then you initially pay for a better nib, a much better nib. After you reach a certain price point the nibs are pretty much the same quality but the material of the body of the pen will start to improve ( but the writing capability of the pen will not).
I would only go for a Gold nib, for a good/ not too expensive pen you pay between 60 -100 pounds.
Once you get hooked it is very easy to spend a lot more than this.
If you are careful, a good pen (and the original nib) will last for many years.

I agree - the better quality the pen, the longer it'll last.

I have a Waterman that I've had since my 16th birthday (I'm soon to be 21). I've used it constantly ever since - it's been through my A Levels, the first year of a Law degree (before I dropped out)... I know it was quite expensive, though it was a present, but it's been the most reliable fountain pen I've ever had. No urge to replace it either. I've taken good care of it and I reckon it'll last me through my History degree :smile:

(Might need to invest in another though, as backup! :biggrin:)
Was at WHSmith today and I saw the moleskin notebooks and next to it was these other notebooks for 15 quid I loved them! Wanted to get it but it's a tad pricy :P I don't even know the name of it! It had great quality paper and like a magnetic open strip thing... Does anyone know what I'm talking about ?! Lol and oh it had like a brown cover with owls and there was one with a lady on it... I know it is so vague lol but oh well..
Original post by iHeartCookies
Was at WHSmith today and I saw the moleskin notebooks and next to it was these other notebooks for 15 quid I loved them! Wanted to get it but it's a tad pricy :P I don't even know the name of it! It had great quality paper and like a magnetic open strip thing... Does anyone know what I'm talking about ?! Lol and oh it had like a brown cover with owls and there was one with a lady on it... I know it is so vague lol but oh well..

Paperblanks perhaps? http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=paperblanks&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=642

I love them, I've wanted one for ever but never got round to buying one. :love:

Latest

Trending

Trending