The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

I just went to my first Gym session doing weights- it was awesome! My flatmate who's super into weight lifting took me and taught me how to bench, squat and deadlift- managed to do the bar with him spotting me, so probably 15kg, and then used a 15kg weight for all the others.

Absolutely knackered now, but one of the trainers complimented my deadlift form, and said for a beginner I was really good! We're aiming to try and just get me doing everything a little bit now, and then as I progress switch to focussing on certain areas on different days.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2941
Not feminine when a woman lifts.
Original post by Pochi_X

in b4 over-defensive backlash from female lifters
Reply 2943
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
in b4 over-defensive backlash from female lifters

Indeed, I am going to get into very deep troubles. :s-smilie:
Original post by Pochi_X

It's not exactly feminine when we take a dump either but we do it.
Crappy troll is crappy. Doesn't even deserve neg tbh.
Adonis lifted and I thought he was pretty feminine.

And silent_chaos lifts while maintaining internet femininity in lieu of social skills.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pochi_X

you're right its not, who wants to be feminine though :biggrin:
Reply 2948
Back squat PB 75kg! :badger:
100kg here we come :colone:

Did 50/60 sets of 5 and some paused ones, then 65, 70, 75. (Jerks and dl felt crappy, pullups were okay)
Felt pretty good form wise, though didn't go quite ATG in 70+.
So next mission is to get 70kg for reps and ATG.

Also saw one dude use a dumbbell under his arse to let him know when he just under parallel, good idea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aivi

Did 50/60 sets of 5 and some paused ones, then 65, 70, 75. (Jerks and dl felt crappy, pullups were okay)

Also saw one dude use a dumbbell under his arse to let him know when he just under parallel, good idea.

Good work on the PB Aivi

:rave:

Like the sound of the DB idea...
Original post by aivi

Very nice! Well done. I just did 6 sets of 65 x 6. Brb collapsing on sofa for rest of day.
After my first session yesterday I have been hobbling around like an old lady.

I am in so much pain. But I want to be able to lift the bar without help as well!
Original post by skunky x
After my first session yesterday I have been hobbling around like an old lady.

I am in so much pain. But I want to be able to lift the bar without help as well!

You'll get used to it eventually!

I think I'm coming down with something after my epic squat session. Hope my immune system can fight it off while I'm asleep :frown:
Original post by Becca
You'll get used to it eventually!

I think I'm coming down with something after my epic squat session. Hope my immune system can fight it off while I'm asleep :frown:

I hope so. Can't face feeling this awful every time. Probably didn't help that I got absolutely wrecked last night after my first session.
Newb question- should I wait until I stop hurting to go to the Gym or just go as my usual schedule will be? I don't want to do horrific damage before I even start.
Reply 2955
Newb question- should I wait until I stop hurting to go to the Gym or just go as my usual schedule will be? I don't want to do horrific damage before I even start.

I usually find that light training makes the DOMS go away slightly quicker.
The soreness you feel is caused by slight tears in your muscles. These are an essential part to building stronger muscles, as the body quite quickly adapts to the strain caused by training by repairing and making the muscles stronger. This kind of soreness should only be felt when using (stretching, contracting) the muscle. If you feel pain while even being relaxed, then you might have torn a bigger portion of your muscle fibers, or your ligaments etc. and then training will risk making it worse (I made this mistake with kickboxing, and ended up tearing a ligament in my foot, took a month to heal).

So the most important thing is to listen to your body, and only you can do that.
You can also always use your time for some active recovery in the form of stretching, myofascial release, mobility, light lifting technique, light cardio (walking) etc.
Most (all) people don't spend enough time on recovery :smile:
I have a few questions for anyone who cares to answer them :-)

When you started training, how much weight could you lift? How long did it take you to get to your current ability/weight? How quickly did you make progress? And did you ever have times where you felt like you just weren't getting anywhere? Thanks..
Original post by aivi
I usually find that light training makes the DOMS go away slightly quicker.
The soreness you feel is caused by slight tears in your muscles. These are an essential part to building stronger muscles, as the body quite quickly adapts to the strain caused by training by repairing and making the muscles stronger. This kind of soreness should only be felt when using (stretching, contracting) the muscle. If you feel pain while even being relaxed, then you might have torn a bigger portion of your muscle fibers, or your ligaments etc. and then training will risk making it worse (I made this mistake with kickboxing, and ended up tearing a ligament in my foot, took a month to heal).

So the most important thing is to listen to your body, and only you can do that.
You can also always use your time for some active recovery in the form of stretching, myofascial release, mobility, light lifting technique, light cardio (walking) etc.
Most (all) people don't spend enough time on recovery :smile:

It is only when I move. I'm sat quite still now and just feel little twinges in my shoulders as I type. I think I was doing my squats wrong- according to the guy who's teaching me, I didn't do anything that should have made my shoulders/back hurt as much as they do, so it can only be the squats.

I'm trying to keep moving- as in, not purposely staying still. I walked into town today and it gradually got less painful, but as soon as I sat to have something to eat, I seized up again and started hurting as I walked again.

The abs were the worst part- I couldn't laugh because it hurt!
Reply 2958
Original post by FelixFelicis

When you started training, how much weight could you lift? How long did it take you to get to your current ability/weight? How quickly did you make progress? And did you ever have times where you felt like you just weren't getting anywhere? Thanks..

Can't remember exactly but I think I started squatting with 40kg or so? And did 75kg just on Friday. This and overall numbers will depend a lot on bodyweight (and fitness history), so there isn't much point in comparing with others.
I haven't been training very consistently, since lifting is just some training on the side, with boxing being the priority. I did about January-March trying to go to the gym at least twice a week, then stopped, then did April-June with 3/week approx. Then had another long break during the summer, and didn't really do anything, and started lifting again a month or so ago.
Besides the beginner gains, that you usually get early on just with finally getting your form right etc. I haven't really made much progress. I'm hoping to change that with a more consistent training plan, that actually includes target weights and not just sets&reps.
The times when I've felt like I haven't gotten anywhere have been numerous, but I also know the cause of them, so I'm not too frustrated.

If you want more of an idea of people's progress, go check out Becca's or anyone else's fitness blogs. I think Becca's blog is really good, since she's been consistent with her training (and blogging), so you can see the results of hard work.

Judging from what you've written, it's just DOMS. I'd echo what aivi said, make sure you spend some time stretching and massaging and doing recovery exercises between workouts. I'd say go as your schedule says, but spend a loooooong time warming up. You'll probably feel fine once you start your exercises.
R.e. your shoulders hurting - mine did too when I first started squatting. It took a while for me to find a nice comfy place on my back, and to build up the shoulder flexibilty to hold the bar properly (I literally had none, now I think my shoulders are *too* flexible!). Even now when I do longer, heavy sets my traps and shoulders still get a bit sore! It's totally normal.
I sympathise with ab pain, I trained abs for the first time in ages on Sat and now mine really hurt, as do my hamstrings and lower front quads. I'm just gonna get the golf ball and really work my leg muscles before bed tonight!

Original post by FelixFelicis

As aivi said, everybody is different so it's not much use comparing. My bodyweight hasn't changed much since I started lifting, but composition has. I definitely have a lot more muscle and a lot less fat. I can feel my abs now, although it will be a while til they're visible, if that ever happens! I've been training almost solely with weights for just over a year now. I started off doing the 3 core power lifts (squat, bench deadlift). When I first started, squatting the bar was hard, benching the bar needed a spotter and was hard and deadlift I could do about 40kg. In May/June I squatted 75kg, benched 50kg and deadlifted 115kg. I haven't trained deadlift or bench since summer now because I've been focusing on olympic lifting, but the other week I squatted 85kg, which is over bodyweight :biggrin:

Yes, there are definitely times when I feel like crap and that I'm not making progress, but writing that up now shows that I have! When you plateau there is always stuff you can do, you can look at your technique, change your programme, change your training focus. There will be rubbish days (I had one on Thursday...) but overall it's so much fun that you tend to forget them!

Quick Reply

Latest