The Student Room Group

American war crimes.

Scroll to see replies

THE US OF A has done this soooooo many times. Remember that female soldier who took a picture next to the bead body of an Iraqi prisoner?? There was outrage then for a while and then BANG! Everyone just forgets.
America will forever have amnesty if countries don't take a stand against them. Truth is, Britain and so many others are lap dogs and they won't do jack **** about it.
Even the public don't really care, most people are like, "they do the same thing".
No No No!. They do the same thing to their OWN people not to the Brits or Americans.

Bottom line is, SOMEONE NEEDS TO STAND UP TO THE AMERICANS.
Reply 41
Original post by Steevee
But, when we take 6 different studies, by 6 different bodies, and average them out we come out a figure no higher than around 150,000. And call me crazy, but I'll take verified deaths and claims over 'crude estimates' which are based on the bloodiest months of the conflict and multiplied, which is the methodology your body count of choice uses. :lolwut:

Do I need to list the crimes of the Taliban again? Verses pissing on a corpse, not quite following proper engagment doctrine and a few psychological breakdowns. Yeah, I know which is worse. Would I like our troops to be super-human, never making a mistake of action or judgement? Yes. Do I expect it of them? No. Please stop this pathetic comparison, it's like comparing Ted Bundy to someone who once ran over a dog by accident.

The number of deaths is diluted to arrive at 150,000. Even if that is the max number of deaths, tell me how many do you except to have been the cause of insurgensts and the US

You are missing out the major point. No one can be forced to answer for the actions of the Taliban, but the US government has to answer for the actions for their soldiers.
Reply 42
Original post by scoutzawwar
The number of deaths is diluted to arrive at 150,000. Even if that is the max number of deaths, tell me how many do you except to have been the cause of insurgensts and the US

You are missing out the major point. No one can be forced to answer for the actions of the Taliban, but the US government has to answer for the actions for their soldiers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/aug/10/afghanistan-civilian-casualties-statistics
http://www.iraqbodycount.org/analysis/numbers/2011/

Statistics prove the vast majority of casualties in both Iraq and Afghanistan have been caused by insurjents.

And no, that was not your point. You were implying that the US was somehow 'as bad as' the Taliban, which is ridiculous. And no, the soldiers have to answer for their actions. This was not institutionalised pissing, this wasn't protocol or instruction, this was a fews oldiers acting on impulse, and it should be treated accordingly.
Reply 43
Original post by Steevee
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/aug/10/afghanistan-civilian-casualties-statistics
http://www.iraqbodycount.org/analysis/numbers/2011/

Statistics prove the vast majority of casualties in both Iraq and Afghanistan have been caused by insurjents.

And no, that was not your point. You were implying that the US was somehow 'as bad as' the Taliban, which is ridiculous. And no, the soldiers have to answer for their actions. This was not institutionalised pissing, this wasn't protocol or instruction, this was a fews oldiers acting on impulse, and it should be treated accordingly.

Over the recent years yes, insurgents had a bigger percentage of the death because US had taken their foot of the gas pedal.

However look at the stats from 2004 and before as quoted by your own source:
Most deadly period of violence from coalition forces:

"Over half of the civilian deaths caused by US-led coalition forces occurred during the 2003 invasion and the sieges of Fallujah in 2004.

On a per-day basis, the highest intensity of civilian killings over a sustained period occurred during the first three “Shock and Awe” weeks of the 2003 invasion, when civilian deaths averaged 319 per day and totalled over 6,716 by April 9th, nearly all attributable to US-led coalition-forces"

If you want a fair comparison I suggest you post more stats from the start of the war.

I wasn't the only one who was implying that the US is as bad as the Taliban or the Al Qaeda. It was the soldier who himself wrote the article. He himself mentioned that the US marines do not feel remorse for the killing of civilians. The only thing is, the evils the Taliban commit are broadcasted for all to see, but the crimes the US commit even if they are brought under the lime light, against who no action is taken.
Reply 44
Over the recent years yes, insurgents had a bigger percentage of the death because US had taken their foot of the gas pedal.

However look at the stats from 2004 and before as quoted by your own source:
Most deadly period of violence from coalition forces:

"Over half of the civilian deaths caused by US-led coalition forces occurred during the 2003 invasion and the sieges of Fallujah in 2004.

On a per-day basis, the highest intensity of civilian killings over a sustained period occurred during the first three “Shock and Awe” weeks of the 2003 invasion, when civilian deaths averaged 319 per day and totalled over 6,716 by April 9th, nearly all attributable to US-led coalition-forces"

If you want a fair comparison I suggest you post more stats from the start of the war.

I wasn't the only one who was implying that the US is as bad as the Taliban or the Al Qaeda. It was the soldier who himself wrote the article. He himself mentioned that the US marines do not feel remorse for the killing of civilians. The only thing is, the evils the Taliban commit are broadcasted for all to see, but the crimes the US commit even if they are brought under the lime light, against who no action is taken.

Except for the fact that your source uses those months as a par for every month since, are you not seeing why their guess might be a bit off? :lolwut:

:facepalm2: You claim you;re not doing it, and then you do it right there again. Implying the US is at the same level as the Taliban.
Original post by Steevee
And the severity of the crime is reltivley little. If you're saying that no other things should be taken into, then no silly moral indignation should be taken into account. They should be tried by US law and nothing else. After all, if there is no mitigation then there should be no room for victimisation right? And I believe the punishment is something like a £500.00 fine and no more than a years imprisonment, however, of course, this was not desicration to the extreme, so with dispensation, and by statutory law, other than dismissal there should be no particularly bad punishment :smile: I'm sure you agree?

But I get the feeling you wont. You want there to be no mitigation, no excuse, no defense, you say they should face their punishment, but I get the feeling on the other side of the coin you want some terrible fate to befall them with years in prison despite the fact the crime doesn't warrant any such punishment.

Try them according to the law, fine. I don't want them to spend years in prison. The punishment has to have some severity, though, otherwise it is no punishment. A year in prison sounds fine to me.
Original post by Steevee
I find it just hilarious how much press and outrage this gets.

It's easy to forget those corpses pissed on are the corpses of people who behead and stone adulteresses, bomb civilian gatherings, kill teachers and destroy schools so girls cannot have an education, abduct, torture and behead aid workers and private contracters. Yeah. I didn't shed a tear for them.

Was it unproffesional? Yes. Should it have happened? No. Do I honestly care about the corpses of those people? Not one jot.

You seem to know an awful lot about their private lives
Reply 47
Original post by Steevee
Except for the fact that your source uses those months as a par for every month since, are you not seeing why their guess might be a bit off? :lolwut:

:facepalm2: You claim you;re not doing it, and then you do it right there again. Implying the US is at the same level as the Taliban.

I quoted your sources, imagine what the civilian casualties would be if the war had not been concluded by then.

The whole point of this thread is to point out the war crimes the US commit, I leave it for any reader to judge whether the US is worse or the Taliban
Reply 48
Original post by Aequat omnes cinis
Try them according to the law, fine. I don't want them to spend years in prison. The punishment has to have some severity, though, otherwise it is no punishment. A year in prison sounds fine to me.

Sounds overly severe to me.

I quoted your sources, imagine what the civilian casualties would be if the war had not been concluded by then.

The whole point of this thread is to point out the war crimes the US commit, I leave it for any reader to judge whether the US is worse or the Taliban

Higher no doubt. Except, if it had been a long campain overwhelming force and Shock and Awe would not have been the tactics. :holmes:

Really? Well then you should stop putting your own spin, implication and opinion on matters then. And I'm sorry, but there is no opinion on the matter to any sane person, it's the Taliban.
Reply 49
Original post by Steevee

Higher no doubt. Except, if it had been a long campain overwhelming force and Shock and Awe would not have been the tactics. :holmes:

Really? Well then you should stop putting your own spin, implication and opinion on matters then. And I'm sorry, but there is no opinion on the matter to any sane person, it's the Taliban.

I said the intention of the thread was to point out, never said anything about not playing my cards
Reply 50
No dead human being deserves to be treated that way. If US marine disrespects the dead the same way the terrorists do, what difference lies in their principles then?

Tell me, what ARE the differences between terrorists and the US military.

Oh boy I can't wait to hear this.

:rolleyes:
Reply 51
Original post by chrislpp
Tell me, what ARE the differences between terrorists and the US military.

Oh boy I can't wait to hear this.

The fact that one attempts to sugarcoat their actions with the saying "War on terror".
And the other is open about their actions.
None of them have regard for the life of civilians.

I don't sympathise with the taliban nor do I support them, but unlike the US their actions are not hidden.
Reply 52
I said the intention of the thread was to point out, never said anything about not playing my cards

Then why have you denied your implication? :lolwut:
Reply 53
The fact that one attempts to sugarcoat their actions with the saying "War on terror".
And the other is open about their actions.
None of them have regard for the life of civilians.

I don't sympathise with the taliban nor do I support them, but unlike the US their actions are not hidden.

Oh shut the **** up. If the US had no regard for civilian life the action in Iraq would have been won years ago and there would be tens of thousands more civlians dead. Honestly, stop talking such ****.
Reply 54
Original post by Steevee
Oh shut the **** up. If the US had no regard for civilian life the action in Iraq would have been won years ago and there would be tens of thousands more civlians dead. Honestly, stop talking such ****.

If the US had regard for the civilians they would not have allowed the war crimes to go unpunished.

If the US had regard for the civilians they would not support Israel.

Do you honestly think that the US would take action against the soldiers who threw grenades into a house which had a child?

Do you think the US would take action against those soldiers who did not bother serperating the insurgents from the civilians?
Reply 55
There's a reason this video was newsworthy. It's because this sort of thing doesn't happen very often. If you haven't realized, these soldiers are getting punished incredibly seriously. This doesn't happen very often and it certainly isn't tolerated.

Original post by IRSP044
Its strange the response to the urination video of those American terrorists. Its soldiers pissed on the bodies of British terrorists the same people here, who don't seem to mind it would get mental.

They aren't terrorists. Please keep that tape covering your mouth in the future.
Reply 56
Was just browsing fb and I saw this article, obviously written by some american soldier. It is related to the urination video which was posted here a couple of days back.
One interesting point that he raised is that we find the urinating offending but not the killing. Have we developed immunity to war crimes?

Do you think the world should allow US to continue with this.

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/jan/13/us-marines-video-urination-war-crime

edit- thread title is: American War Crimes.

The killing wasnt really offensive, they were taliban soldiers fighting the Americans and the Americans happened to come out on top. Engaging in warfare isnt a crime to my knowledge.

However, what they did to those corpses broke geneva convention. Just be opinion :smile:
Original post by DYKWIA

They aren't terrorists. Please keep that tape covering your mouth in the future.

Oh 'yeah' they aren't terrorists okay.

ter·ror·ism/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun:
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Doesn't sound like America at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by I.Am.The.Ill3st
Oh 'yeah' they aren't terrorists okay.

ter·ror·ism/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun:
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Doesn't sound like America at all.

That would cover just about any war then? Besides, it's not the US doing most of the killing out there. In fact, the soldiers save far more lives than they kill. Most of the killing is done by one afghan to another.
Reply 59
If the US had regard for the civilians they would not have allowed the war crimes to go unpunished.

If the US had regard for the civilians they would not support Israel.

Do you honestly think that the US would take action against the soldiers who threw grenades into a house which had a child?

Do you think the US would take action against those soldiers who did not bother serperating the insurgents from the civilians?

And what happens when they admit a war crime has taken place? Idiots like you start screaming about the US being the terrorists and that they should nenever leave their own borders. They can't win. They hold their hands up to mistakes, they're the bad guys, they don't, they're the bad guys. Because people like you cannot accept mistakes, or singular incidents, everything is an action of the entire US.

And once again, the US does have regard for civilian life, it just doesn't surpass it's regard for it's own wellbeing as a nation. So yes, you;re right, people with the ultimate respect for civilian life would surely never engage in conflict. But there are the small issues of delaing with worse people and securing your own national and international interests.

And far criminals are punished :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending