The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vaughanigan

Original post by Vaughanigan
For 3c) if you got 76 and showed how you got it, you'd probably have only lost 1 mark for then not taking it away from 180

There was a past paper which featured an identical question. We had a big debate about it in class and we decided that it's like in C4 vectors; the vectors are always travelling away from the angle that you find. Since j is travelling north and R is travelling south-east, you should take the larger angle. It is quite odd that it's a 3 mark question though so you may be right.

I also think that the moments question was the hardest it's been in quite a while. Are the question marks implying low mark allocation? I did think as I was doing the paper "they're not giving very many marks for this".
Reply 141
Since there were a few odd questions such as 3 and 7, that quite a few people must have got confused over and thus made mistakes and in general it sounds like people have made a fair few mistakes in this paper in general.

I think the grade boundaries will be about the same as they were for June 2011 ( 60 for an A). In my opinion the paper was probably on par with the June 2011 in terms of difficulty, since the final two questions on June 2011 were difficult but the questions before that were relatively easy, this paper was similar since the were a couple of difficult questions such as the moments one and the ones I've mentioned and certainly the final two questions it seems that a few mistakes we made, which will cause the grade boundaries to be lower.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Edwin Okli

I also think that the moments question was the hardest it's been in quite a while. Are the question marks implying low mark allocation? I did think as I was doing the paper "they're not giving very many marks for this".

See I think the question marks are Arsey thinking excessive mark allocation, especially for part a, where it was barely 2 lines of simple workings involved.
Original post by yahhhhhh
Since there were a few odd questions such as 3 and 7, that quite a few people must have got confused over and thus made mistakes and in general it sounds like people have made a fair few mistakes in this paper in general.

I think the grade boundaries will be about the same as they were for June 2011 ( 60 for an A). In my opinion the paper was probably on par with the June 2011 in terms of difficulty, since the final two questions on June 2011 were difficult but the questions before that were relatively easy, this paper was similar since the were a couple of difficult questions such as the moments one and the ones I've mentioned and certainly the final two questions it seems that a few mistakes we made, which will cause the grade boundaries to be lower.

You seem to have the same opinion as me. Easy for many on here, but you can see where lots of other people would of been fooled too. Also question 5 with the time interval of the ball would of tricked alot of people I think. I don't think they'll be astronomically high if they raise tbh, I hope that they aren't anyway:smile:
There was a past paper which featured an identical question. We had a big debate about it in class and we decided that it's like in C4 vectors; the vectors are always travelling away from the angle that you find. Since j is travelling north and R is travelling south-east, you should take the larger angle. It is quite odd that it's a 3 mark question though so you may be right.

Not many questions come up in past papers regarding a non uniform rod.
Reply 145

That vector question was really easy if you drew it. All you had to do is get Tan the angle, then add 90, you will get 104.
Original post by nereik6794
You seem to have the same opinion as me. Easy for many on here, but you can see where lots of other people would of been fooled too. Also question 5 with the time interval of the ball would of tricked alot of people I think. I don't think they'll be astronomically high if they raise tbh, I hope that they aren't anyway:smile:

I was a bit unsure how to tackle that question. I treated is at two separate equations. Wasn't sure whether you could do it as one, turns out you can.

I worked out the speed at which it approached the height in the question, and the used another equation, treating displacement as 0, u as what I found out before, t = t, a = - 9.8.

It worked out to be the same, so Im pretty happy :smile:
How did everyone find 8c?
Original post by Vaner
That vector question was really easy if you drew it. All you had to do is get Tan the angle, then add 90, you will get 104.

You'll find people found it confusing because it was a positive i and negative j. Many would of left their answer of 14 thinking it was correct, whereas you had to add 90. I wasn't sure in the exam but I added 90 as I thought that was correct, and luckily it was. A question like 3a is also so rare my teacher didn't even teach us it - luckily I skim read the book the night before and knew what to do for it.
Original post by Beresford George
I was a bit unsure how to tackle that question. I treated is at two separate equations. Wasn't sure whether you could do it as one, turns out you can.

I worked out the speed at which it approached the height in the question, and the used another equation, treating displacement as 0, u as what I found out before, t = t, a = - 9.8.

It worked out to be the same, so Im pretty happy :smile:

I set the displacement as the distance they gave you(6.6metres I think) and then used a quadratic. Minused the smaller number from the bigger number to get 2.7ish. If i figured out the acceleration wrong on 8c and impulse(fml) wrong on 1a but showed all workings how many do you think i will get? Probs 0 for impulse but maybe 1 for 8c?
I set the displacement as the distance they gave you(6.6metres I think) and then used a quadratic. Minused the smaller number from the bigger number to get 2.7ish. If i figured out the acceleration wrong on 8c and impulse(fml) wrong on 1a but showed all workings how many do you think i will get? Probs 0 for impulse but maybe 1 for 8c?

I still think in 8c you will get like 2 or 3 out of 5, as long as you carried the method through.

Good luck :smile:

How many marks do you reckon you got?
Original post by Beresford George
I still think in 8c you will get like 2 or 3 out of 5, as long as you carried the method through.

Good luck :smile:

How many marks do you reckon you got?

Yeh I'd take 2 tbh. I think I have 65/75 without working marks, hopefully enough to be in the 80's. What about you?
Reply 152
Original post by geditor
I made the same mistake as you. You have to remember that vector are from a particular reference point thus the j axis is is ONLY one place meaning that the angle that the vector makes with a vertical is 76 degrees but the angle it makes with j is 104 degrees (which happens to be the same as giving the bearing of the vector from O)

i hate when i make such mistakes! i hope they're generous enough to give us one mark for it at least.
Reply 153

Yeah, many at my school who retook this paper were confused by the questions mentioned, and when the questions are slightly obscure and test knowledge of the subject in a way which is not illustrated in previous exam papers (non-uniform rod never ever comes up) people are inevitably going to fall into the traps laid out. I'm failry convinced that the grade boundaries will not be as high as the 64 suggested by arsey or the 65-67 range suggested by other contributors.
Original post by yahhhhhh
Yeah, many at my school who retook this paper were confused by the questions mentioned, and when the questions are slightly obscure and test knowledge of the subject in a way which is not illustrated in previous exam papers (non-uniform rod never ever comes up) people are inevitably going to fall into the traps laid out. I'm failry convinced that the grade boundaries will not be as high as the 64 suggested by arsey or the 65-67 range suggested by other contributors.

I've said it so many times, the student room is mainly the high A/A* students' opinions on the exams. I don't think they'll be stupidly high because I had to think proper hard (underline,circle information etc) to avoid falling into traps - and I still have leaked 10 marks due to falling into traps tbh. I thought the moments question was very difficult despite getting all marks for it. Hopefully 65/75(then a couple of working marks hopefully) will see me into the 80's.
Reply 155
For the question where you had to draw the acceleration-time graph did you need to include numbers because on Jan 2011 question 5 the mark scheme didn't include any?
For 3c, I could have sworn all angles are supposed to be found anticlockwise to i or j (whatever is asked for). Which meant that I put down 256 degrees.
I correctly worked out tan-1(3/12) but then did 270 - 14. Will I at least get a mark for that?
This exam did not go very well at all :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 157
I've said it so many times, the student room is mainly the high A/A* students' opinions on the exams. I don't think they'll be stupidly high because I had to think proper hard (underline,circle information etc) to avoid falling into traps - and I still have leaked 10 marks due to falling into traps tbh. I thought the moments question was very difficult despite getting all marks for it. Hopefully 65/75(then a couple of working marks hopefully) will see me into the 80's.

In my opinion 60-61 should take you to 80, as a general overview. however, this does not convey the mechanics of the marking as if you've gt part of a question correct ( for example the final one where I think I calculated the value of acceleration incorrectly), you cannot judge how many marks you will receive for that particular question if you've not obtained the correct answer until the official Mark scene is released.
Reply 158
for all those quoted....lets see when the boundaries come out...I reckon 69 for an A....I hope I'm wrong but lets face it EVERYTHING on this paper was in past papers :/
How many marks would I get for the moments question if I got it all right just didn't inclue g?

Latest

Trending

Trending