The Student Room Group

failing AS in subject you want to do at uni

I love biology, but somehow managed to fail the AS unit 2 exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I retook it a few days ago.

I want to do something like marine biology at uni and obviously this won't look good.

BUT has anyone failed an AS exam for the subject they want to do at uni, and still got in???? I did quite well in the unit1 exam and the coursework but m average was a D.

Luckily I'll have a full alevel in biology by the time I come to apply so it isn't like my teacher will only predict me a C but then could end up with a B+ with my resit and coursework resubmission.
Original post by Nix-j-c
I love biology, but somehow managed to fail the AS unit 2 exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I retook it a few days ago.

I want to do something like marine biology at uni and obviously this won't look good.

BUT has anyone failed an AS exam for the subject they want to do at uni, and still got in???? I did quite well in the unit1 exam and the coursework but m average was a D.

Luckily I'll have a full alevel in biology by the time I come to apply so it isn't like my teacher will only predict me a C but then could end up with a B+ with my resit and coursework resubmission.

First of all, you have got the advantage that when you will apply, you'll have the grades (in your situation) so this is certainly a good point. However, my concern is that if you are getting a D at AS level, how are you going to find the work at A2 and then in an undergraduate degree at university? This is certainly something that you may want to consider. Since you are applying post A level you may want to look into other options just so that you have that back up should you need it. Of course, if you work hard, then it's possible. However, I would still have that back up just in case.
Reply 2
I only got a D because of the U which i've redone. The minmum requirements from brighton, portsmouth and plymouth are only Cs in biology and Cs and Bs in other subjects.
Original post by Nix-j-c
I only got a D because of the U which i've redone. The minmum requirements from brighton, portsmouth and plymouth are only Cs in biology and Cs and Bs in other subjects.

It's certainly do-able then, but it still helps to have plans in place if the worst case scenario happens. :smile:
Reply 4
Well since taking up psychology this year i have found it interesting so maybe animal behaviour, although that still involves biology . . .
Reply 5
I studied at university what was a subject that I performed worst in (relatively speaking)... I persevered and got grades good enough to go to a Top 20 university in London and with even more hard work achieved a First Class Degree (Honours)

So my reply to you?

Yes. Work hard and your ambitions and dreams will be your reward! But have patience to understand the reward may not be given in the short-term but enjoyed in the long-term :smile:
Original post by Nix-j-c
Well since taking up psychology this year i have found it interesting so maybe animal behaviour, although that still involves biology . . .

FireRam has given great advice above and that should be an experience which you could learn from. Definitely persevere for the moment, but my point is don't be afraid to change course slightly. As FireRam says, the reward may be enjoyed in the long term.

Original post by FireRam
I studied at university what was a subject that I performed worst in (relatively speaking)... I persevered and got grades good enough to go to a Top 20 university in London and with even more hard work achieved a First Class Degree (Honours)

So my reply to you?

Yes. Work hard and your ambitions and dreams will be your reward! But have patience to understand the reward may not be given in the short-term but enjoyed in the long-term :smile:

Great advice. I've repped you for it. :yy:
Reply 7
Thanks, in addition there's also a course called marine biology and animal behaviour which looks very interesting to me at the moment which only needs a c in bio.

I am being realistic, I doubt I can get an A in any of my subjects (but I will try my hardest) That's why I've been looking at places with Cs and Bs . . .
Original post by Nix-j-c
Thanks, in addition there's also a course called marine biology and animal behaviour which looks very interesting to me at the moment which only needs a c in bio.

I am being realistic, I doubt I can get an A in any of my subjects (but I will try my hardest) That's why I've been looking at places with Cs and Bs . . .

As I said, always good to have a back up plan and since you're applying after your results come through, you never know, you could get higher than you expected which means other courses because more realistic. :smile:
Does anyone know what could happen in terms of univerversities if you resit your human biology exam, first unit?? I'm really desperate...I think I missed a page and lost lots of marks....I going resit in june.....is that bad??? I want do medicine....
Original post by OneGirlInAmillion
Does anyone know what could happen in terms of univerversities if you resit your human biology exam, first unit?? I'm really desperate...I think I missed a page and lost lots of marks....I going resit in june.....is that bad??? I want do medicine....

I'm not sure, but I think people I know have resat biology and now study medicine. That said, I've got zero experience with medicine so I can't give an answer with any major detail. The people in the Medicine forum may be able to help if you post there:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

:smile:
Original post by toronto353
I'm not sure, but I think people I know have resat biology and now study medicine. That said, I've got zero experience with medicine so I can't give an answer with any major detail. The people in the Medicine forum may be able to help if you post there:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

:smile:

Thank you so much :smile:
My friend got an E in AS for history but managed to get good predicted grades and is getting offers from universities.
i got an E on my unit 1 exam - don't know why, probably cuz the leap from GCSE to A-level was quite huge and i didn't realise how hard it's going to be (got a A in GCSE bio) so now i resat it and hopefully get a better grade, but my other results - especially ISA (got an A) pulled my grade up, and now doing A2 i'm not really struggling as it think unit 4 is much easier than unit 1 ( In AQA).

but just try harder and work more at home and anything is possible. i have people in my bio class that got a E OVERALL for AS but they are going brilliantly now and getting offers from uni - as the teacher predicted B's for them so :smile: just work hard and prove the teacher u can do better
Reply 14
Yes I got a bit fat U in my first ever psychology exam at AS but i'm now studying it at uni expecting to get a good grade.
I realised that I needed to put in more effort into my revision technique and essay writing skills. I worked with my teacher to bring this up and came out with As in the final exams.

Work out where you went wrong and work from there :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks, this all sounds encouraging. I got a high C in the first exam and a U on the second and I'm redoing my coursework which my teacher messed up cos she predicted me an A and it was moderated at a D!!!!!!!!! Plus she was at a different school on results day so I can't contact her and even if I did there isn't much we can do now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending