The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Original post by jam_jam
Hi yeah I did get slightly mixed up - May is when we have to decide. But the admissions staff there said they weren't making any decisions until after all the interviews are completed and that they still have a few to give out. They also said it was likely to be the very end of March, beginning of April before we get any news.

ahhh okay thanks that's good news!! Was driving myself crazy thinking we had another 3 months wait!! You have pleased me so much with that post, thank you :smile:
Original post by noregrets
Lol they interview graduates :tongue:

Bugger, so they do. Obviously, it's the ones WITH degrees you have to watch. :rolleyes: *****ingedinburghgrumblemumble*
Original post by Harbour Seal
Bugger, so they do. Obviously, it's the ones WITH degrees you have to watch. :rolleyes: *****ingedinburghgrumblemumble*

Haha I know, don't even know why I applied there when I think about it :redface:

Aberdeen is my only hope for medicine now. I meant to ask you btw, as I saw that you have done an access course. My highers in Biology and Chemistry expire after this year (taken in 2007). If I reapply, what do you think would be the best option for me? p.s. sorry for being off topic lol, just one very short post :colondollar:
Reply 1163
Hi everyone. Could someone please tell me how internationals find out about interview invites/rejections? Is it by email, mail or the applicant portal? Thanks in advance.
Original post by noregrets
Haha I know, don't even know why I applied there when I think about it :redface:

Aberdeen is my only hope for medicine now. I meant to ask you btw, as I saw that you have done an access course. My highers in Biology and Chemistry expire after this year (taken in 2007). If I reapply, what do you think would be the best option for me? p.s. sorry for being off topic lol, just one very short post :colondollar:

How many times have you reapplied? What age are you? Did you get AAAAA in one sitting? UKCAT score? Previous degree? Educational history? Work history?

Sorry, all these things kind of form what I'll say to you. You will need to apply to the Glasgow Access course now if you want a place, so just go and do it and I'll help you out after you answer the questions :wink:

Ps I just used my personal statement to apply to Stow, they seemed fine with it. However, the course is very very disorganised. It's a bit disheartening, and I would sit the UKCAT exam before you start it just to get it out the way.
Original post by HishamG
Hi everyone. Could someone please tell me how internationals find out about interview invites/rejections? Is it by email, mail or the applicant portal? Thanks in advance.

Usually email/mail for interviews, applicant portal, email/mail for rejections/offers.
Reply 1166
Original post by Jelton
did they by any chance tell you when you were likely to hear of any decision?

I was told the end of march at the earliest. :L
Original post by HeatherM
I was told the end of march at the earliest. :L

I have a feeling that is a standard response that they give, because if they said mid March everyone would be phoning on the 15th asking. They are just saving themselves the hassle. I would predict mid March like previous years :smile:
Reply 1168
Original post by DrWannabe
I have a feeling that is a standard response that they give, because if they said mid March everyone would be phoning on the 15th asking. They are just saving themselves the hassle. I would predict mid March like previous years :smile:

Hope so! I'm happy to wait if it's good news, but if i wait all that time for bad news, i'll be so hugely gutted. :frown:
I hope you're right :biggrin:
Reply 1169
Hope so! I'm happy to wait if it's good news, but if i wait all that time for bad news, i'll be so hugely gutted. :frown:
I hope you're right :biggrin:

I feel exactly like this! It's such a long time to be kept waiting, the unknown is the worst, I hate not know what I'm doing with my life next year!
Reply 1170
Original post by Jelton
I feel exactly like this! It's such a long time to be kept waiting, the unknown is the worst, I hate not know what I'm doing with my life next year!

Good Luck!!
My plan B is to do more work experience and try to get a placement in a programme called GapMedics. Abroad :smile:
But ideally, i'd like to follow Plan A. :P
Is Aberdeen your first choice?
Reply 1171
Good Luck!!
My plan B is to do more work experience and try to get a placement in a programme called GapMedics. Abroad :smile:
But ideally, i'd like to follow Plan A. :P
Is Aberdeen your first choice?

Same, I'm definitely going to get more work experience and use the money I've saved for university to put towards a similar foreign experience! Not sure where yet.. but I'd just like to know what's happening so I can start to plan my year, but hopefully our patience will pay off :smile:

It is definitely up there: the course is perfect, I am in love with the city and I love the med school and all the extras Aberdeen offers, but I'd need to consider the distance from my hometown before makin the decision. What about you? Where else have you applied to? :smile:

Good luck!!
How did everyones interviews go who has had them the past few days?
Reply 1173
Original post by Jelton
Same, I'm definitely going to get more work experience and use the money I've saved for university to put towards a similar foreign experience! Not sure where yet.. but I'd just like to know what's happening so I can start to plan my year, but hopefully our patience will pay off :smile:

It is definitely up there: the course is perfect, I am in love with the city and I love the med school and all the extras Aberdeen offers, but I'd need to consider the distance from my hometown before makin the decision. What about you? Where else have you applied to? :smile:

Good luck!!

I know, i'd love to know whats happening :frown: Hope So ! :biggrin:
I know- which special features is it that catch your attention?
Aha, Aberdeen's the closest medical school to me. It's only like, two and a half hours travelling!
I applied to Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh for Medicine. And Edinburgh again for Neuroscience. :smile:
You?
Ughhhh Waiting For An Interview Is Doing My Head in......... Just want to find out something :/ :/ Really hope I get one though because I really want Aberdeen :smile:
Original post by marienhof
Ughhhh Waiting For An Interview Is Doing My Head in......... Just want to find out something :/ :/ Really hope I get one though because I really want Aberdeen :smile:

There's a few weeks left yet to hear. And the later people have interviews the less they have to wait for a response. Good luck :smile:
Okay, I've left this a bit late. Could anybody recommend a cheap place to stay in Aberdeen? Preferably near the medical school or city centre.
Original post by BlissJunkie
Okay, I've left this a bit late. Could anybody recommend a cheap place to stay in Aberdeen? Preferably near the medical school or city centre.

There's certainly a few B&B's near Foresterhill, but as for their quality or price I couldn't say. My suggestion would be the Travelodge on the junction of Union Street and Bridge Street - it's about 100yards from the train station, and you can either catch the number 3 bus from Bridge Street or walk to the hospital (about 30-40mins).
Hey, thinking of applying to Aberdeen. How much do the put emphasis on GCSEs, I had 5A* 5A and C (english Lang). I did read some reviews and posts that they do not have much affect on GCSE, but i fear that my eng lang will pull my grades down. What if I had a good PS and I am have applied for a lot of work xp and voluntary. currently in year 12 btw.:smile:
Original post by sgeorge11
Hey, thinking of applying to Aberdeen. How much do the put emphasis on GCSEs, I had 5A* 5A and C (english Lang). I did read some reviews and posts that they do not have much affect on GCSE, but i fear that my eng lang will pull my grades down. What if I had a good PS and I am have applied for a lot of work xp and voluntary. currently in year 12 btw.:smile:

The academic component of your score, including your predicted grades, is worth 25%. Personal statement 22%, UKCAT 8%. Interview 45%.

The GCSE minimum requirements are as follows:

Aberdeen website
Grade C Passes in English and Maths required.
Biology recommended. Physics recommended (or Dual Award Science).
A combination of Grade A & B passes at GCSE is expected, especially in science subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending