The Student Room Group

***Official 2012 Neuroscience Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PurdeyPurd
I got the pre-offer visit day invitation from Bristol today (I cried in a multi-story carpark, embarrassing! - been waiting on them for months, was sure I'd been rejected) and I was just wondering how involved they are?
I've looked at the example day-plan thing that they send you and it seems a lot more detailed then the open days which is great. But can anyone tell me how they found it on the day? What did you do?
Thanks! x

How involved the open days are? If you mean in terms of admissions, not at all. An invite to a pre-offer visit day means that they are going to give you an offer.

I really enjoyed the day, got to view the facilities and accommodation, chat to students and ask any questions about the course. It's basically like an Open Day but more exclusive.
Original post by LaiaS
I am from Spain but I live in Washington :smile:

washington state or dc? haha I'm a first year doing neuro who is from spain but i lived in washington state before i came to england for uni
Reply 722
Edinburgh or Manchester or Edinburgh or Manchester or Edinburgh or Manchester or Edinburgh or Manchester or Edinburgh or Manchester...? I was set on Manchester until I got an offer from Edinburgh, now I'm having a rethink...
Reply 723
I did it. I put Manchester as my firm, Sussex as insurance... :smile:
Reply 724
Original post by Sandra1993
washington state or dc? haha I'm a first year doing neuro who is from spain but i lived in washington state before i came to england for uni

Washington DC :smile: Where are you studying?
Original post by LaiaS
Washington DC :smile: Where are you studying?

nottingham!
any others firmed Bristol?
Reply 727
Original post by braiiins
I did it. I put Manchester as my firm, Sussex as insurance... :smile:

You've firmed them :eek:
I wish I was brave enough to firm mine now but I'm waiting for results :P
Original post by Josiea
You've firmed them :eek:
I wish I was brave enough to firm mine now but I'm waiting for results :P

When's the deadline to do so?
Reply 729
Original post by Minotauro
When's the deadline to do so?

May 9th if you've had all your offers by March 30th. :smile:
Firmed UCL eeeek.
Everyone I know that goes UCL say that its depressing and student life there is really poor. Even though the education is really good....you wont be having much fun.
Original post by bob_miller
Everyone I know that goes UCL say that its depressing and student life there is really poor. Even though the education is really good....you wont be having much fun.

It sounds like someone has a bit of an unprovoked hatred of UCL; did you get a rejection?Everyone I've spoken to has loved it.

Much of the enjoyment of your University experience kind of has to come from your enjoyment of doing the subject you love in the best place for it. If you need clubbing and pubbing to be the best, then UCL isn't for you.

Even if it was as bad as you make it sound, UCL offer-holders would be unwise to accept anywhere else when graduate unemployment rates are as high as they are. Going to a worse university for the sake of its nightlife is a luxury that none of us can afford.
Original post by bob_miller

Original post by NeuralGroove
x

LOL, bob it does sound like your being slightly bitter after a rejection. See, the thing is, the UCL 'student life' is not as bad as people make it out to be, my sister did pharmacology there and she loved it, great clubs and societies, and the libraries are just darn amazing, and if you really to go clubbing and what not, you're in London! Lots of groups organise Pub crawls and other such events.
and to say the 'education is really good' is a complete understatement, do you understand they are number 2 in the world for Neuroscience? My sister is currently in the middle of her phd (which she is being paid to do) and has confirmed job in a research lab for next year, (now that's what I call employability). I know if my grades were good enough I would have applied with out a second thought. I'd love to apply to do my phd there though.

*Apologies for crappy grammar and spelling I'm on my phone :colondollar:
thank you earlier for the help from LemonPi :biggrin:

I still have no news from UCL though i had sent my questionnaire 1 Dec :s-smilie:
anyone in similar situation?
If you don't mind me asking, were you at the open day on the 8th? If so, which one were you, haha?

Haha yes, I was the tall brunette. How about you?
Original post by corpuscallosum

Oh, I remeber :smile:

I was (and still am) the guy from Oxford with the blond/brown hair?
Reply 737
Original post by corpuscallosum

Oh, I remeber :smile:

I was (and still am) the guy from Oxford with the blond/brown hair?

Hey what did you guys/gals put as firm and insurance?
Original post by mrcheeky
Hey what did you guys/gals put as firm and insurance?

I firmed UCL and put St. Andrews as my insurance, how about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending