The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Results Day March 8th Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5400
Originally predicted a B in law, convinced tutor to change it to an A and got 97/100 :cool: I'll shove that in her face
Reply 5401
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
A bit confused, anybody care to shed some light on things?

SCLY1 56/80 UMS, grade B. That's 70%. The AQA mark-scheme says SCLY1 grade A boundary is 38/60, which is 63%.

UMS is scaled; you won't have got 70% in raw mark. Probably something like 33 or 34 I guess?
Biology 83/90 - a
Chemistry 92 - b
Statistics 1 54% - d

So happy about Biology and Chemistry (though I was 4 UMS marks away from a so I might resit)!

Statistics though...
Original post by ellie32
Exactly what I got too, will be retaking in June! :frown:

lol thats what i got too, resits here we come!!!
Reply 5404
Really pleased :smile: i got...
Edexcel biology unit 1 - (105/120) A
Edexcel C1 maths - (89/100) A
OCR Salters chemistry F331 :s - (61/100) C

Kinda dissappointed about chemistry because i did work hard, but a june retake will hopefully sort that out. And no one really got higher than a C in my class lol, the exam was horrible. Really pleased about maths and biology, i honestly thought i failed biology, so that was a massive shock. Hope everyone got what they wanted :smile:
Reply 5405
Original post by Tench
Good Results (better at least then last years):-

Biology (Unit 4) B - 89/120 UMS (big shock, after getting As last year)
Chemistry (F334) B - 66/90 UMS (Unexpected, really wanted to get an A :frown: )

C3 A - 90/100 UMS
FP1 (MEI) A - 88/100 UMS

Seems I did similar boards to you and we are both prospective medics :P

Chemistry F334 was a joke, I got 56/90 even through I was most prepared for it from all my exams :confused:. The paper was horrible. Chemistry is supposedly my favourite subject :s-smilie:

Biology Unit 4 - 106/120, you will be fine if you retake Unit 4 again- I get a B in my AS January module, but pulled it up to an A in June.

C3 (OCR A) - 90/100 too.
S2 (OCR A) - 64/100 (so much for me thinking it was a good paper). Congrats on your FP1 mark, I got 84/100 last year with OCR (not MEI).

S2 doesn't really affect me because of my AS grades, but Chemistry :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5406
:biggrin: C3 80/100 just an A phew... M1 (resit) 94/100 A, CH4 106/120 A, BY4 113/120 A (all WJEC) overall very happy no resits and I can still firm the Uni i want too! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Quite upset about results, honestly thought I did a lot better

Psychology - B
Biology - E
Chemistry - U

Doesn't really help that my parents are being absolute idiots and saying things like 'We expected a lot more from you', 'We're so disappointed in you' etc.

:frown:
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
A bit confused, anybody care to shed some light on things?

SCLY1 56/80 UMS, grade B. That's 70%. The AQA mark-scheme says SCLY1 grade A boundary is 38/60, which is 63%.

That's not how it works. Otherwise what's the point in UMS? The whole point of UMS is so they scale marks in accordance with how hard the exam is.

So in that case, you need 63% raw marks to get 80% worth of UMS marks. If you got 38/60 on the paper, your results sheet would say 64.
Original post by raheem94
How don't you not know your UMS?

I have calculated it and its around 82-84UMS.

Ummm thanks for that! And that's kinda low but idc xD
Bs in English Lit AS and Politics A2 (2 marks off an A ;P)

Got what I needed
June here looks like this:

Music AS paper 1 (re-sit from last summer), A2 paper 1 (AQA)
Physics A2 papers 1 (re-sit) & 2 (CCEA)
Maths M3, M4, S2 (CCEA), STEP I and STEP II (all in the same week!!!)

The M4 / S2 is an insurance job, son only needs one of them, but he needs 91 UMS in one of the 3 for an A* with 41 UMS in another (to keep the A average) and the third (either M4 or S2) won't count at all. Hoping that 91 is going to be easier to get in S2 than M3/4!
Original post by Apocalyptic Fish
Well done :smile:

Was the maths for Edexcel? I got 74/100, which was a B. I'm happy with that, but not so much with physics - D but I was expecting at least a C after the exam :frown:

ahh well done! :smile: and well to me a D in physics is still impressive.. physics seems a pretty hard subject to say the least!!
C1 Maths AS - A
Biology AS - B
Chemistry AS - B

I am HAPPY with that!
Reply 5414
Sociology AQA unit 2 retake: B
Sociology AQA Unit 3: C
Biology OCR molecules, biodoversity and health resit: D
Biology OCR Energy, respiration photosynthesis: D
Chemistry F331 retake: U
Chemistry F332 retake: U

Im a dumbass. disappointed with biology as i though they went well. knew chemistry was going to bad, relatively pleased with sociology.
Original post by hassi94
That's not how it works. Otherwise what's the point in UMS? The whole point of UMS is so they scale marks in accordance with how hard the exam is.

So in that case, you need 63% raw marks to get 80% worth of UMS marks. If you got 38/60 on the paper, your results sheet would say 64.

Oh right, thanks for clearing it up :smile:
I'll be doing 10 exams in May/June. I better get cracking. :biggrin:
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Lol :L and oh that's unlucky :s-smilie: I did OK. Maths core 3 was my worst! I got AABBBC As in general studies and biology, Bs in chemistry (4 UMS from an A!!!) geography (but my 90% AS balances it to an A) and further maths. And then we come to maths, my C :L but I don't mind. I know people who got Cs from my college that have Oxford offers, so I don't feel as bad! Nonetheless, I shall still be firming Warwick when I get home! How about you? :biggrin:

Wow, if you consider how many papers you did, you've done brilliantly! Well done :biggrin:
ooo reeally? That's interesting. There's a guy who got 100% in his physics paper this Jan (and has 100 in his physics AS) who git rejected from Cambridge. Funny how these things work out xD
I got 3As, but I have to retake C3 as I want an A* in math (got 86%), aand I've had to let go of my dream of an A* in physics (got 83%, so would need 97%+ in my final exam to get an A*, seeing as it would be just too much work to resit it) sad times:frown:. Oooohh well, I was being rather ambitious anyway xD

I bought a crunchie ice cream in which I shall now go drown my sorrows. :biggrin: yuumm
Seeing as i didn't revise (yes i know, what an idiot!) I'm quite pleased with my results :biggrin:
Maths- C (literally thought i had a U)
Psychology- C (Am retaking cause was getting A's in mocks :/)
Biology- C (Wish i worked harder cause i really like biology!)

So, yeah :smile:
WELL DONE ALL!
3 As in maths, i could cry!!

Quick Reply

Latest