The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

:creep: Never thought I'd be posting in here...

Started lifting a few weeks ago, having done bodypump since Christmas and really enjoyed it. I know the low weight/high rep thing isn't ideal, but at least I'm not starting from nothing, right?

Did my first set of deadlifts on Wednesday and have been in pain since, in the middle of my lower back. Way beyond normal DOMS, the muscles are just rock solid and spasm-y. I've looked at my technique again and I think my hips were too high, but my back definitely wasn't rounded. I was only lifting 30kg plus whatever the big very light plates are worth (the ones that make the bar high enough to deadlift). Any suggestions on how to deadlift without being unable to lean forward for the next three days?
Well we all know in reality curls (i.e. big biceps) get more male than female attention. Thus, as a girl, you go ahead and do curls. :wink:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
:creep: Never thought I'd be posting in here...

Started lifting a few weeks ago, having done bodypump since Christmas and really enjoyed it. I know the low weight/high rep thing isn't ideal, but at least I'm not starting from nothing, right?

Did my first set of deadlifts on Wednesday and have been in pain since, in the middle of my lower back. Way beyond normal DOMS, the muscles are just rock solid and spasm-y. I've looked at my technique again and I think my hips were too high, but my back definitely wasn't rounded. I was only lifting 30kg plus whatever the big very light plates are worth (the ones that make the bar high enough to deadlift). Any suggestions on how to deadlift without being unable to lean forward for the next three days?

The pain you describe sounds like "pump". I get that in my back very often when deadlifting. My advice would be to do some stretching (pigeon pose or pretzel stretch are good!) until the pain eases and keep to doing other stuff until you feel ready to deadlifting again. Even though you were only doing 30kg it was still your first time and dead lifts are notoriously hard to recover from so don't rush it.
Another thing which might help when you do go back to it is to remember to really drive into the floor with your feet. Also what footwear are you wearing when you lift? If it's trainers then move onto something flat-soled like converse or just socks. Will provide more stability therefore minimize the risk of injury :smile:
i had a gym induction and the trainer told me to do Workout A and B once a week. What do you think of it?

Workout A:
Squats 3 sets of 5 reps
French Press 3 sets of 5 reps
Deadlifts 3 sets of 5 reps
Bicep Curls 3 sets of 5 reps

Workout B:
Deadlifts 3 sets of 5 reps
Lunges 5 sets of 5
Overhead Press 5 sets of 5
Bench Press 3 sets of 5 reps
Original post by Becca
The pain you describe sounds like "pump". I get that in my back very often when deadlifting. My advice would be to do some stretching (pigeon pose or pretzel stretch are good!) until the pain eases and keep to doing other stuff until you feel ready to deadlifting again. Even though you were only doing 30kg it was still your first time and dead lifts are notoriously hard to recover from so don't rush it.
Another thing which might help when you do go back to it is to remember to really drive into the floor with your feet. Also what footwear are you wearing when you lift? If it's trainers then move onto something flat-soled like converse or just socks. Will provide more stability therefore minimize the risk of injury :smile:

Ah, thanks :h: Yeh I was in Converse, but I have problems with my hips/knees that mean I usually wear stability trainers with a very solid high arch, so it feels odd going to the gym in cons! Am I right in saying the problem with normal trainers is their squishiness rather than the shape? As in, could I put shaped insoles in my cons or does that defeat the point of wearing them? Would you recommend starting with something lighter than 30kg? It didn't feel particularly heavy, which is why I was confused at getting hurt.
Ah, thanks :h: Yeh I was in Converse, but I have problems with my hips/knees that mean I usually wear stability trainers with a very solid high arch, so it feels odd going to the gym in cons! Am I right in saying the problem with normal trainers is their squishiness rather than the shape? As in, could I put shaped insoles in my cons or does that defeat the point of wearing them? Would you recommend starting with something lighter than 30kg? It didn't feel particularly heavy, which is why I was confused at getting hurt.

Yes, the problem with most trainers is that their squishiness absorbs some of the force being transmitted from the feet to the floor, making the lifting less effective and also more dangerous as each rep is slightly different to the last.

Converse is fine to lift in - many world records have been set in them.

As Smack says, it's mainly the squishiness, but also the closer you are to the floor the shorter distance you have to lift, therefore you will be able to lift more. You can put your insoles in if you need that extra support, but as it will raise you slightly it might make it harder to lift, especially when you become awesome and are lifting heavier weights :biggrin: What it might do is make you awesome at breaking the bar off the floor so if you ever go for a PB and take them out to get the advantage that part of the lift will be easy :cool:
I don't think you need to start with something lighter, I'd try again when you feel up to it. Make sure you arch your back (inwards, but you knew this!) as much as possible. Take a big breath and tense every muscle including upper back. Squeeze the glutes at the top for lockout. When you start make sure your shoulders are not in front of the bar, try and get them slightly behind the bar if you can.
Let us know how you get on next time!
"Powerlifting is driven by competition, with participants vying to lift heavier weights or build bigger muscles than those of other athletes.

:dong:
Reply 3630
Original post by Becca
:dong:

It's embarrassing.
Oh well the girl in the article is awesome :biggrin:

I'm always amazed at how ignorant the DM and the commentors are, its no wonder the UK is so out of shape and uneducated about fitness really.
Original post by Becca
As Smack says, it's mainly the squishiness, but also the closer you are to the floor the shorter distance you have to lift, therefore you will be able to lift more. You can put your insoles in if you need that extra support, but as it will raise you slightly it might make it harder to lift, especially when you become awesome and are lifting heavier weights :biggrin: What it might do is make you awesome at breaking the bar off the floor so if you ever go for a PB and take them out to get the advantage that part of the lift will be easy :cool:
I don't think you need to start with something lighter, I'd try again when you feel up to it. Make sure you arch your back (inwards, but you knew this!) as much as possible. Take a big breath and tense every muscle including upper back. Squeeze the glutes at the top for lockout. When you start make sure your shoulders are not in front of the bar, try and get them slightly behind the bar if you can.
Let us know how you get on next time!

Just got back from attempt 2 :biggrin: Didn't realise that different colour bumper plates meant different weight, so inadvertently was deadlifting 40kg! That would explain why it felt a bit harder... Def easier to drive my feet into the floor once I was sitting right back with shoulders behind the bar (or at least, not in front of the bar). Forgot the breathing/tensing bit, will add that in next time. It felt really good to be lifting 65% of bodyweight, especially when the person next to me was playing with curling 3kg dumbbells!
Just got back from attempt 2 :biggrin: Didn't realise that different colour bumper plates meant different weight, so inadvertently was deadlifting 40kg! That would explain why it felt a bit harder... Def easier to drive my feet into the floor once I was sitting right back with shoulders behind the bar (or at least, not in front of the bar). Forgot the breathing/tensing bit, will add that in next time. It felt really good to be lifting 65% of bodyweight, especially when the person next to me was playing with curling 3kg dumbbells!

Yess exactly! This is why lifting is awesome! Keep training it and you'll be well over bodyweight in no time. Took me less than a year to get to 115kg :smile: How's the back feeling after it?
Original post by Becca
Yess exactly! This is why lifting is awesome! Keep training it and you'll be well over bodyweight in no time. Took me less than a year to get to 115kg :smile: How's the back feeling after it?

I'd really like to be able to squat bodyweight before I go back to medical school in July. I'm up to 42.5kg! The back twinged during my first set of deadlifts (I'm doing 5x5), but I realised it was because I was pushing with my feet/legs to get off the ground, and then my back was having to pull before the glutes contracted and took over. Once I'd realised what I was doing it wasn't that hard to correct it though :smile:
I'd really like to be able to squat bodyweight before I go back to medical school in July. I'm up to 42.5kg! The back twinged during my first set of deadlifts (I'm doing 5x5), but I realised it was because I was pushing with my feet/legs to get off the ground, and then my back was having to pull before the glutes contracted and took over. Once I'd realised what I was doing it wasn't that hard to correct it though :smile:

That's great that you can correct yourself :biggrin: Bodyweight squat is a good aim, I was so happy when I finally got there. Now to get a bodyweight front squat (not that far off since I keep losing weight :colone: ).
If you ever want more form tips you should post up videos. I've learned so much from posting videos. Even just filming myself and watching it back without posting it is really useful.
Original post by Becca
That's great that you can correct yourself :biggrin: Bodyweight squat is a good aim, I was so happy when I finally got there. Now to get a bodyweight front squat (not that far off since I keep losing weight :colone: ).
If you ever want more form tips you should post up videos. I've learned so much from posting videos. Even just filming myself and watching it back without posting it is really useful.

Yeh, I really struggle knowing whether my squat form is right, cos I have mirrors in front of me so I can see that I'm not tilting the bar or anything, but as for whether my knees are drifting over my toes... every time I look down to check I lose my balance! I can't get anyone to come to the gym with me to film for ages yet cos it's dissertation stress season, but I was thinking of booking in with one of the fitness instructors at the gym as I know one of them is a female lifter.
Yeh, I really struggle knowing whether my squat form is right, cos I have mirrors in front of me so I can see that I'm not tilting the bar or anything, but as for whether my knees are drifting over my toes... every time I look down to check I lose my balance! I can't get anyone to come to the gym with me to film for ages yet cos it's dissertation stress season, but I was thinking of booking in with one of the fitness instructors at the gym as I know one of them is a female lifter.

Ahh yeah looking down when squatting will cause more problems then it will solve. Always keep your head up. I tend to fix on a spot up on the wall in front of me, about 1m above my head, and don't take my eyes off it throughout the whole movement. This will help you keep your whole posture.
Definitely get that trainer to help you if you've seen her lift and she doesn't seem like she knows nothing :wink:
Original post by Becca
Ahh yeah looking down when squatting will cause more problems then it will solve. Always keep your head up. I tend to fix on a spot up on the wall in front of me, about 1m above my head, and don't take my eyes off it throughout the whole movement. This will help you keep your whole posture.
Definitely get that trainer to help you if you've seen her lift and she doesn't seem like she knows nothing :wink:

She was doing an intro-session with someone this evening and I overheard her give a whole spiel about how machines are useless and free weights are far better, so I think she's a good'un :smile:

How's your lifting going? Are you getting back into it after your time off?

Quick Reply

Latest