The Student Room Group

Who would win in streetfight: Manny Pacquiao or Chris Robshaw?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Einheri

Ha! No. Do you even train?

The obvious counter to that would be: have you ever been in or seen a street fight?

You generally don't have a ring to work with and once you end up on the floor with someone on top of you; you can't manouevre them into a lock because there is no referee to stop him getting his fingers in your eyes/pulling your hair back and slamming your neck or stopping his mates doing the Riverdance on your head.
You can turn a fighter into a boxer but not a boxer into a fighter.

Can't really think of any wise words about rugby players and street fighting.

My money would be on Manny as he could more than likely dictate the fight compared to a who knows how nimble rugby player with x amount of fighting experience.
Reply 42
Original post by Einheri
You've fought and beat better trained guys than a world class professional boxer? Hmm, I find that unlikely.

What is your background exactly?

I have several MMA trained friends. And I have had to clear up the mess after they have had the **** kicked into them by some completely untrained drunk bloke in the pub who happened to be bigger and stronger, and used moves such as the "pint glass smashed over head" that they hadn't practiced dealing with in their little classes in the nice warm gymnasium.

MMA is this odd little insular world, where everyone thinks they are super-hard because they have learnt a little technical terminology. Unfortunately, in the real world, they are still the 12 stone weaklings they were 2 years ago.
None. Paulie Malignaggi would KO both.
Original post by py0alb
For Pacqiauo to land a punch, he would need to come within grabbing distance. If he gets grabbed, its game over. So he'd basically have to take him down in one punch.

So the question is, could a 10 stone guy knock out a hard as nails 17 stone of muscle rugby player in one punch?

The answer is no.

I just can't see Manny winning this one I'm afraid. I honestly think I would have a 50:50 chance agaisnt him, if I just rugby tackled him before he managed to punch me I'd win.

idiot lol
Reply 45
Original post by py0alb
I just can't see Manny winning this one I'm afraid. I honestly think I would have a 50:50 chance agaisnt him, if I just rugby tackled him before he managed to punch me I'd win.

Reply 46
some powerful and convincing arguments coming out here.

Its just like the "little girl vs Chabal" thread all over again :facepalm2:
Original post by py0alb

In equally convincing news, did you see Hulk Hogan beat up Andre the Giant?

Please tell me you didn't just say that, Jesus christ. I scroll down the last 2 pages and I see that. LOL. Just stop, please.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by keyboard-warrior
Manny Pacquio:

- arguably the best pound for pound boxer of all time, is ridiculously quick
- 5ft 7in in height
- ~ 10st 3lb in weight

Off topic, Manny has incredible serratus anterior muscles.

On topic, Robshaw would win a brawl.
Reply 49
Its called cognitive dissonance. People spend a lot of time and money trying to make themselves harder than the nasty big boys who beat them up at school by spending years learning a martial art, and when someone suggests that maybe it isn't as effective as they had prayed every night, they start getting irrationally angry at the thought of all that wasted time and money and go into denial. As a result, they just can't stop themselves flaming the thread in a fit of fury and indignation.
Reply 50
Original post by Jake22
The obvious counter to that would be: have you ever been in or seen a street fight?

You generally don't have a ring to work with and once you end up on the floor with someone on top of you; you can't manouevre them into a lock because there is no referee to stop him getting his fingers in your eyes/pulling your hair back and slamming your neck or stopping his mates doing the Riverdance on your head.

As a teenager I used to get into a lot of fights. Not anymore; I'm not some chav running around challenging people to street fights. I armbarred some guy trying to steal my bag on the train about a year ago, that's the closest thing I've had to a "street fight" in five years (didn't break it but it was brutalized - ruptured MCL and torn cartilage).

Uh-huh, Vale Tudo was the precursor to modern MMA and was literally no rules - gouging, biting, hairpulling, groin strikes, headbutts, kicks to grounded opponents, et cetera were legal. Grappling and chokes reigned supreme - when someone has you in a rear naked choke and you're blacking out the eyes are the last thing you should/will be thinking about, same if someone is snapping your joints apart - the eyes and the ground are the most instinctively defended areas of the body and it's rather hard to gouge someone without putting your arm out there for a joint lock.. As for digit pulling; I've had several fingers broken and currently am training with a broken toe and a very sore, recently dislocated and relocated thumb - you barely register it when your adrenaline is pumping; I had my thumb dislocated at a submission wrestling tournament last week and didn't even notice until afterwards (when it swelled up).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Captain_Rhodes
Off topic, Manny has incredible serratus anterior muscles.

On topic, Robshaw would win a brawl.

He sure does. For a 10 stone guy, he definitely has the muscle mass of an 11 stone guy. I bet what with all that training and technique on top of that, its almost like being punched by a normal sized person.
Original post by py0alb
Given up actually debating and resorted to ad homs?

A sure sign you know you've lost the argument and are just trying to safe face :rolleyes:

Heres a tip, using latin doesn't actually make your argument sound any smarter.
Reply 53
Original post by internet tough guy
Heres a tip, using latin doesn't actually make your argument sound any smarter.

If you've got nothing to say about the topic, then kindly stop spamming the thread.

Thanks
Original post by py0alb
some powerful and convincing arguments coming out here.

Its just like the "little girl vs Chabal" thread all over again :facepalm2:

Likewise, some powerful and convincing arguments from yourself: ''DERP, I'll get a world boxing champion on the ground real EASY, derp DERP''
Original post by py0alb
I have several MMA trained friends. And I have had to clear up the mess after they have had the **** kicked into them by some completely untrained drunk bloke in the pub who happened to be bigger and stronger, and used moves such as the "pint glass smashed over head" that they hadn't practiced dealing with in their little classes in the nice warm gymnasium.

MMA is this odd little insular world, where everyone thinks they are super-hard because they have learnt a little technical terminology. Unfortunately, in the real world, they are still the 12 stone weaklings they were 2 years ago.

comparing Manny Pacquiao to your 'MMA trained' friends....

:facepalm2: x 1000
Reply 56
Likewise, some powerful and convincing arguments from yourself: ''DERP, I'll get a world boxing champion on the ground real EASY, derp DERP''

I already explained the mechanics of the situation in detail. I'm 8 inches taller than Manny Pacquiao. If I put my hand on his chest, he wouldn't be able to reach my face. He almost certainly wouldn't even be able to hit me in the stomach.

I've actually genuinely been in that situation before, some guy swinging away at me while I held him at arm's length. It was pretty ****ing funny.
Reply 57
comparing Manny Pacquiao to your 'MMA trained' friends....

:facepalm2: x 1000

You're quite right I forgot, he isn't MMA trained at all, and he is a lot smaller than they are.

His excellent technical boxing skills don't really translate into real life unfortunately.
The pac man would win :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by py0alb

What do you mean "MMA trained"? Because I find it hard to believe that somone with even two years of regularly training wrestling/Judo, BJJ and boxing/muay thai would have trouble with some drunk.

py0alb
Cognitive Dissonance.

Funny coming from someone who thinks they could take Manny Pacquiao.

Quick Reply

Latest