The Student Room Group

Uni with sibling

I want to do politics and economics at uni, however my brother has applied for many of the same unis I want to apply.

Hes applied to manchester,leeds,newcastle, sheffield and manny met, I also really want to apply to manchester especially but also sheffield and newcastle.
If he gets his offers he will choose manchester and sheffield as his 2 (hes dead set on manchester)
And tbh I really dislike him, hes horrible and rude. Furthermore we're identical twins so it would be very hard to just completly act as if we dont know each other as we look the same and will probably have people confusing us.
Are cities like manchester too big to run into one another? And am I stupid for letting my brother affect my choices? He might not even get in as well (hes doing maths)
Someone ideally whos been to uni PLEASE respond ill love you so much (apologies for rambling its 2:30 Am and im panicking)
I was looking at exeter and nottingham as well but im worried about the social life tbh
Unless you're on the same course, or ones with overlapping modules, there is every chance you could be there for 3-4 years and never bump into them.
Original post by lawless-spark
I want to do politics and economics at uni, however my brother has applied for many of the same unis I want to apply.

Hes applied to manchester,leeds,newcastle, sheffield and manny met, I also really want to apply to manchester especially but also sheffield and newcastle.
If he gets his offers he will choose manchester and sheffield as his 2 (hes dead set on manchester)
And tbh I really dislike him, hes horrible and rude. Furthermore we're identical twins so it would be very hard to just completly act as if we dont know each other as we look the same and will probably have people confusing us.
Are cities like manchester too big to run into one another? And am I stupid for letting my brother affect my choices? He might not even get in as well (hes doing maths)
Someone ideally whos been to uni PLEASE respond ill love you so much (apologies for rambling its 2:30 Am and im panicking)
I was looking at exeter and nottingham as well but im worried about the social life tbh

Hi @lawless-spark,
I'm sorry to hear you are feeling like this.
You shouldn't let your feelings about your brother impact your university choice, you should choose the university who's course you think you will enjoy the most, who's area looks the most interesting to live in for the duration of your course and who's course you think you will get the most out of.
When in university there is a lot of opportunity to make friends through clubs and societies, communing with your classmates in your lectures and through putting yourself out there and trying new things.
I hope this helps and maybe makes you feel a bit better about the situation.
Kind regards,
University of Wolverhampton Rep.
Ben 🙂
Reply 3
Regarding your bro, big cities like Manchester can be pretty vast, so chances of constant run-ins are slim. Don't let him dictate your choices focus on what's best for you. And hey, social life varies everywhere, but both Exeter and Nottingham have their perks.
Reply 4
Original post by RB115
Regarding your bro, big cities like Manchester can be pretty vast, so chances of constant run-ins are slim. Don't let him dictate your choices focus on what's best for you. And hey, social life varies everywhere, but both Exeter and Nottingham have their perks.

Thank you so much thats really sweet, i'll look into them. TBH think it was just a bit of a mental breakdown at 2 am
Original post by lawless-spark
Thank you so much thats really sweet, i'll look into them. TBH think it was just a bit of a mental breakdown at 2 am

The key issue will be how close the buildings you will study will be and whether you live in the same accommodation blocks. The likelyhood is you will see each other briefly going to or from lectures. You will get different friendship groups so you wont have to bother much if you are in different halls. The only other times you will meet if you have the same interests such as going to the same pubs or concerts,
Hi Sorry you're feeling this way
You definitely shouldn't let your feeling about brother dictate which uni you go to but you should make the decision on which university is best for you depending on the course, the location, the professors, the opportunities you'll have and the extra-curricular available. As you really like Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle, I would definitely recommend applying to those universities and not worrying about bumping into your brother as there's loads of ways you can make new friends through different societies and socials.

Hope this helps!
Z
UG IR & Arabic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending