The Student Room Group

I like girls a tiny bit taller than me, Will I find it hard to get a girlfriend?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xXHolly_90Xx
I'm quite small (about 5' 4) so most guys are taller than me anyway.. but if that wasn't true it probably wouldnt matter
Although I do like my boyfriend being taller, it makes him seem more protective :smile:

Theres loads of tall girls though! They tend to go for smaller boyfriends so you do have a pretty good chance at finding someone

:nope: Not quite sure where you got that from? lol I know tall girls (myself included), and never been attracted to a shorter chap. lol
Reply 21
Original post by DancinBallerina
:nope: Not quite sure where you got that from? lol I know tall girls (myself included), and never been attracted to a shorter chap. lol

Always a first time for everything, DB!
Reply 22
Yeah me too, I like a girl who is a bit taller then me :smile:
Reply 23
Women are more likely to be open-minded about height than you think. To some extent people pay lip-service to accepted ideals. I can tell you straight away that a man who is short, coupled with hang-ups about his height, is not attractive. Someone who is short but doesn't make his height (or any other diversions from the norm) an issue can be seen as attractive. Sometimes women complain about an ex or a man they are dating being short but there is really more to it. If height was an issue, they wouldn't have got involved in the first place. It's a case of them not feeling that their boyfriends are manly enough. There's a lot more to what makes women feel attracted to men, than height alone.
Reply 24
Original post by Chumbaniya
It's quite interesting that you pick on his chosen measurement system and yet haven't mastered use of the rather more straightforward qualitative aspects of height description: namely the use of the word "shorter" rather than "lower".

The "lower" I used for three reasons:
1) to show how it may be, when everybody will start with different measure systems.
2) to make it more geographicallury/architecture/transport - rather You use "low floor" than "shorter floor", and with the topic of height problems, like in architecture, transport.
3) it is more important to use correctly numbers, and units that writing correct word speaking of it(You can detect this by text, false numbers are heavier - if usual SI people on the world see 50, and article is about weight, they will have first in mind kg ).

In my opinion, and probably most people on the world(mostly except for UK, USA, and some islands, but they are changing it too) the Imperial measure system is the same, like the pre-imperial UK systems (e.g. beginning of XIX century, or XVIII and older).

Imagine that You will use this old systems in UK. Nobody will understand You correctly and lost time for translate/calculate.

It is more interesting, because the UK is known for university education(like Oxford etc.), and even "glob-travelling minded people" (like that, who have they own collection in British Museum). The imperial system was advance in XIX century, but today is the same problem(or even bigger, because of jet-set/Internet world), and XIX century British people were more opened for changes(see that You are now using the Imperial not previous system).

This "open-mind" was - in my opinion - the biggest thing that made British Empire(the navy was only a "product", and "tool" for open-minded, travelling British people.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by nrepeb
The "lower" I used for three reasons:
1) to show how it may be, when everybody will start with different measure systems.
2) to make it more geographicallury/architecture/transport - rather You use "low floor" than "shorter floor", and with the topic of height problems, like in architecture, transport.
3) it is more important to use correctly numbers, and units that writing correct word speaking of it(You can detect this by text, false numbers are heavier - if usual SI people on the world see 50, and article is about weight, they will have first in mind kg ).

In my opinion, and probably most people on the world(mostly except for UK, USA, and some islands, but they are changing it too) the Imperial measure system is the same, like the pre-imperial UK systems (e.g. beginning of XIX century, or XVIII and older).

Imagine that You will use this old systems in UK. Nobody will understand You correctly and lost time for translate/calculate.

It is more interesting, because the UK is known for university education(like Oxford etc.), and even "glob-travelling minded people" (like that, who have they own collection in British Museum). The imperial system was advance in XIX century, but today is the same problem(or even bigger, because of jet-set/Internet world), and XIX century British people were more opened for changes(see that You are now using the Imperial not previous system).

This "open-mind" was - in my opinion - the biggest thing that made British Empire(the navy was only a "product", and "tool" for open-minded, travelling British people.)

I suggest you read this: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic9717.html

You're using roman numerals while bitchin' about the imperial system being old and out dated. You realise roman numerals are millenia older, right?

Also, this is a UK board, and so everyone here will understand and be able to imagine the imperial units, whereas most people will have to convert 178cm into 5' 10" to realise how tall it is.
It's more important that the people here can understand eachother, rather than making provisions for people that aren't even going to read it at the expense of most of the people who are going to read it.

By your logic, everyone should be talking Chinese.
Reply 26
Original post by Yoj1mbo
I am male and 5'10, For some reason (I know its strange) I like girls that are like 5'11-6'0. Will I find it it difficult to get a girlfriend being like this?

I bet it must work in reverse (although its probably quite rare) that a girl would prefer a guy to be a bit shorter.

It depends really, there ARE tall/er girls around (who are normal) that Iv seen so not difficult as such...but most girls usually are quite small, especially in this day and age where kids are deprived of growing nutrients because their parents bring them up on alphabeti spaghetti and jaffa cakes
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by QwentyJ
Always a first time for everything, DB!

I know, I know, but honestly - I like wearing heels, not sacrificing that for a man! lol (wear flats - noooway lol)
Well you are limiting your options as roughly 90% of girls are shorter than 5'10.
Go for girls you like... but if you're finding it difficult to date taller girls, then maybe reconsider?
Reply 29
It is interesting answer - and thank You for it. But about Chinese - I think it is now more important to learn it as a second language, but sadly there are many dialects so this is not there a "classic" language with mainly only one standard.

About numbers - as far as I known some Chinese - in science, especially international they are using too so called "middle eastern" numbers like 1,2,3. So they are SI oriented too.

Yes I known this is UK based forum, but I wrote why I think this is not proper.

And yes I have one bad point using with (mainly and usually only centuries) Roman numbers. I should avoid this.

But UK should change the imperial system. It maybe painful now, as I read Your answers - but hey for Your (grand...)parents currency change etc. to decimal system was probably painful too...

Why I really don't like especially foots? Because I am always get angry in shops looking for good shoes ;-), and when I see the measures in that system - I think what size of foot have writer ;-).

Original post by Mirey
I suggest you read this: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic9717.html

You're using roman numerals while bitchin' about the imperial system being old and out dated. You realise roman numerals are millenia older, right?

Also, this is a UK board, and so everyone here will understand and be able to imagine the imperial units, whereas most people will have to convert 178cm into 5' 10" to realise how tall it is.
It's more important that the people here can understand eachother, rather than making provisions for people that aren't even going to read it at the expense of most of the people who are going to read it.

By your logic, everyone should be talking Chinese.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
I know, I know, but honestly - I like wearing heels, not sacrificing that for a man! lol (wear flats - noooway lol)

Even for TV actor, with Ferrari in garage and private dancing hall ;-) ... But we will see when You will find Your 'right' man ;-).

Funny I always consider myself as a usual height guy, but for most woman I am tall. And more funny is that I mostly known taller guys and my height too. So I consider myself not tall at all - It always depends where and when You are raised :-).
Reply 31
Original post by nrepeb
It is interesting answer - and thank You for it. But about Chinese - I think it is now more important to learn it as a second language, but sadly there are many dialects so this is not there a "classic" language with mainly only one standard.

About numbers - as far as I known some Chinese - in science, especially international they are using too so called "middle eastern" numbers like 1,2,3. So they are SI oriented too.

Yes I known this is UK based forum, but I wrote why I think this is not proper.

And yes I have one bad point using with (mainly and usually only centuries) Roman numbers. I should avoid this.

But UK should change the imperial system. It maybe painful now, as I read Your answers - but hey for Your (grand...)parents currency change etc. to decimal system was probably painful too...

Why I really don't like especially foots? Because I am always get angry in shops looking for good shoes ;-), and when I see the measures in that system - I think what size of foot have writer ;-).

haha, well our shoe sizes aren't actually in feet or inches, they're in some obscure unit. I agree, the European way of doing that makes the most sense.

I also have to admit that while I was growing up, metric seemed so much nicer, you didn't have to remember anything, 1000mm in a meter, 1000ml in a litre etc.
But since I've learned about the imperial I actually really appreciate for estimating stuff. If you imagine a small length, it's about 1 inch, my thumb is 2 inches. Sure, you could think of 2.5cm etc but its nice just to have it as a unit.

I only use it for estimating, whenever I do anything with pen and paper / maths, I can only work in metric, so then I convert everything over. 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard is just a tad annoying :tongue:

Also, there really isn't a lot of point in converting everything over. I think the only thing that is still imperial is weight and height of humans, and miles as a distance in a car and pints of beer.
All blueprints and what not have to be in metric
When you buy things in a shop its measured in grams.
All the maths we do we do in metric.
So everything official is moved over, other than mileage though I suspect that's because it would be a pain to change over all the signs, and it doesn't really matter, so why waste all that money to change the signs?
It would be pretty tough to /force/ people to use metric for weight and height (personally I used kg for weight..) as it's just used day to day, and not really in an official capacity.
Reply 32
Original post by Mirey
haha, well our shoe sizes aren't actually in feet or inches, they're in some obscure unit. I agree, the European way of doing that makes the most sense.

I also have to admit that while I was growing up, metric seemed so much nicer, you didn't have to remember anything, 1000mm in a meter, 1000ml in a litre etc.
But since I've learned about the imperial I actually really appreciate for estimating stuff. If you imagine a small length, it's about 1 inch, my thumb is 2 inches. Sure, you could think of 2.5cm etc but its nice just to have it as a unit.

I only use it for estimating, whenever I do anything with pen and paper / maths, I can only work in metric, so then I convert everything over. 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard is just a tad annoying :tongue:

Also, there really isn't a lot of point in converting everything over. I think the only thing that is still imperial is weight and height of humans, and miles as a distance in a car and pints of beer.
All blueprints and what not have to be in metric
When you buy things in a shop its measured in grams.
All the maths we do we do in metric.
So everything official is moved over, other than mileage though I suspect that's because it would be a pain to change over all the signs, and it doesn't really matter, so why waste all that money to change the signs?
It would be pretty tough to /force/ people to use metric for weight and height (personally I used kg for weight..) as it's just used day to day, and not really in an official capacity.

TBH, you can't really say "I'd like 453.59237 grams of Bananas, please"; it has to be a pound of bananas! Or a bunch, I suppose!
Reply 33
Original post by QwentyJ
TBH, you can't really say "I'd like 453.59237 grams of Bananas, please"; it has to be a pound of bananas! Or a bunch, I suppose!

who the hell orders bananas by weight?

"5 bananas please"

though I usually don't have to ask for fruit, its all out in the shop... (Both supermarkets and local markets / green grocers)
Reply 34
Original post by Mirey
who the hell orders bananas by weight?

"5 bananas please"

though I usually don't have to ask for fruit, its all out in the shop... (Both supermarkets and local markets / green grocers)

My dad in the Greengrocers! All relative though.
Reply 35
Original post by QwentyJ
My dad in the Greengrocers! All relative though.

ah well, if he wanted to I'm sure he could say "half a kilo" and be happy paying for the extra 50g :P
Reply 36
Original post by Mirey
ah well, if he wanted to I'm sure he could say "half a kilo" and be happy paying for the extra 50g :P

He's old school, he likes his routines and daily patterns. :wink:
My friend is 5'6 and she is dating a guy who is 5'2 .. It's been like 8 months and still going strong..
I found it weird at first like the height difference is huge ESP when she wears heels (which she does a lot) but she calls him her cuddly bear lol.. They're crazy about each other so I guess height really doesn't matter hey.
Reply 38

Not every man will care that you will be taller in heels, yanno? For every 3 insecure men, there are another 2 who don'r care!

Quick Reply