The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ice_cube
I had a little google and the general principle is awesome. However, I suspect bright pink is more 'you'. :p:

Your suspicion is not unfounded :ahee:
Team Green & Bronze here too. Sounds very pretty!
It IS very pretty. Even if my mum thinks it's not pretty enough :yep:
:top2: quick pop in to say ello. How are you all?
Original post by Drogue
But just as you had a very valid reason for choosing your university that Corinna wasn't aware of, despite the poor library, Feef has explained her equally valid reasons. I can't see why one of you asking is snide while the other isn't, personally.

I will keep this short.

Feefifofum is complaining for the sake of it. She suggested I was being hostile because I challenged her frankly absurd view of her home library, which is actually very good for a number of reasons. Her academic circumstances (i.e. access to Durham and Oxford) make her complaint even more absurd. The point about personal circumstances is a smokescreen and has nothing to do with the issue being discussed, not least because she had to apply and receive an offer from Newcastle before finding out whether she would get funding. If Newcastle was the only university she applied to to offer her funding then that is tough luck; no one is forcing her to do a PhD. She can drop out and get a job like everyone else has to do if she wants an easy life.

Corinna is complaining about insignificant things that have nothing to do with access to resources, and at the end of the day that is what is important, in complete ignorance of what most students have to put up with on a daily basis. Now she calls me stupid because I suggest that undergraduate students put less thought into library resources than PhD students when looking at prospective universities. If you want to defend her inappropriate comparison, defend it; this discussion is clearly finished and I have nothing more to add.
Reply 2665
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think Indian people spell it sari and Sri Lankans tend to go for saree. That's what I've noticed anyway :yes:

When you say she had to go for traditional dress, what do you mean exactly? In Sri Lanka, Christian brides wear a white saree, for example :smile:

Well, I guess I meant saris and - not sure what the name for the men's outfits is - as opposed to western dress. She wore a stunning gold sari with red. All the guests also in saris etc.

Also, they are in their mid-20s and attending lots of weddings at the moment, which she says ends up being pricey because apparently it is not the done thing to wear the same sari to more than one occasion...
(edited 12 years ago)
TLG, are you Sri Lankan? I only ask because my uncle is and so my cousins are half Sri Lankan. My uncle is an amazing cook, I don't know if what he cooks is traditionally Sri Lankan or not but its certainly delicious!

We need to see some pics so we can say if your mum is wrong about your green and bronze saree!
Original post by evantej
I will keep this short.

Feefifofum is complaining for the sake of it. She suggested I was being hostile because I challenged her frankly absurd view of her home library, which is actually very good for a number of reasons. Her academic circumstances (i.e. access to Durham and Oxford) make her complaint even more absurd. The point about personal circumstances is a smokescreen and has nothing to do with the issue being discussed, not least because she had to apply and receive an offer from Newcastle before finding out whether she would get funding. If Newcastle was the only university she applied to to offer her funding then that is tough luck; no one is forcing her to do a PhD. She can drop out and get a job like everyone else has to do if she wants an easy life.

EXCUSE ME?! Your hostility in that previous post was in challenging why I had chosen Newcastle if I knew the library was poor, which I answered, without rising to the hostility. You replied, without hostility. End of story. Other people have since commented and joined in, and some of them have been less polite than I was. I do NOT expect to log back in after a friendly discussion to find a post attacking me personally. I try to stay out of conflict in this thread as a general rule; we are all here for different reasons, and some people wish to cause/participate in arguments. I am not one of those people, so I do my best not to cause arguments for others. Hence my previous post where I acknowledged your hostility, but did not rise to it.

The post I have quoted here, which you addressed to someone else talking about me, is incorrect, ignorant, and insulting. For that reason, I will reply.

- I am not complaining for the sake of it. There was a discussion about the merits and problems associated with various academic libraries. I replied with my thoughts on the Robinson library (opinions I share with the majority of PhD students that I have spoken to about the matter within my own department). You may disagree with my opinions, but that does not mean that I was complaining for the sake of it. As we mentioned earlier, if varies by subject. Just as I acknowledge that the Robinson might be significantly better for English students, you too should acknowledge that the Robinson might be significantly worse for classicists.

- "She suggested I was being hostile because I challenged her frankly absurd view of her home library, which is actually very good for a number of reasons". I freely admit that the Robinson has positive elements. I was commenting on some of the worst aspects of the library (again, in my opinion). I did say "dire in every way" which is obviously rhetoric, but it is perfectly acceptable to comment on the negative aspects of something without acknowledging some of its better sides.

- "Her academic circumstances (i.e. access to Durham and Oxford) make her complaint even more absurd." Why? My academic circumstances allow me to carry out my doctoral research, despite the inadequacy of my library facilities. That does not mean that I can't complain about my own university library, and wish that it were better, so that I didn't have to travel so often.

- "he point about personal circumstances is a smokescreen and has nothing to do with the issue being discussed, not least because she had to apply and receive an offer from Newcastle before finding out whether she would get funding." No, it isn't a smokescreen. You implied that knowing that the library facilities were inadequate would be a reason not to apply for/do a PhD here. My personal circumstances, as I just said in this post, are what allow me to circumvent the problems posed by the library facilities. That is entirely relevant to the discussion - you implied that poor library facilities were a reason not to do a PhD somewhere, whereas my personal circumstances mean that I have access to other libraries. Hence, not a smokescreen.

- "f Newcastle was the only university she applied to to offer her funding then that is tough luck; no one is forcing her to do a PhD. She can drop out and get a job like everyone else has to do if she wants an easy life." Excuse me? There is no need for comments like that. I am perfectly aware, and it is none of your business, that if I was dissatisfied with my PhD experience, I could drop out and get a job. No-one is forcing me to do a PhD - obviously. I have explained over and over that my personal circumstances mean that I can circumvent the problems associated with having an inadequate library. Moreover, I have also said that I had to be in Newcastle for family reasons; it was the only university that I was able to consider, because I had to be up here. My supervisor is at Newcastle, which meant that applying to Durham (which I could have travelled to at a push) was not a sensible place to apply. If I wanted an easy life, I would not have applied to do a PhD in the first place. Newcastle had no PhD funding for my year, so I am working several jobs all through the PhD to pay my way, and living with family to save money (and so that I can provide my assistance as a carer). It is financially crippling, and certainly not an easy life; if I wanted that, then of course I could drop out and get a full time job. I want to continue my research, so I have made the choice to continue with my PhD. That is my choice, and it is nothing whatsoever to do with you. Moreover, I have explained many times that access to Durham and Newcastle, and the ability to call books from the BL, mean that I am able to conduct my research. Why would I then consider dropping out, simply because I made some negative comments about the Robinson library?

The open hostility in your post to Drogue is inappropriate and uncalled for. Corinna made comments that you argued with, and Drogue was coming in to that debate, not the original issue of the library which I had posted out. Moreover, the antagonism was not located with my post, but with the subsequent discussions with other people. If you want to reply to them and be rude to them, then that's your choice. If the subsequent discussions have irritated you, and caused you to post in a manner that is, frankly, rude, then that's your business. But you have no excuse for making a post that attacks me, a user that went out of her way to avoid being rude despite the hostility in your original post; if you have problems with me, then say them to me, not Drogue. And if you want to get angry and start insulting people, then do so to the people that have challenged you, not an innocent bystander from a previous conversation.
Original post by evantej
I will keep this short.

Corinna is complaining about insignificant things that have nothing to do with access to resources, and at the end of the day that is what is important, in complete ignorance of what most students have to put up with on a daily basis. Now she calls me stupid because I suggest that undergraduate students put less thought into library resources than PhD students when looking at prospective universities. If you want to defend her inappropriate comparison, defend it; this discussion is clearly finished and I have nothing more to add.

you know what evantej, you need to stop acting like your life has been a tragedy! You do not know where people come from and what they had to go through to get where they are now. You keep repeating that I am ignorant of what other students have to go through, even though I already told you that I had way worse crap than lack of resources for my undergraduate degree!! I know what it is not to have good libraries, I know what it is to have professors who don't even allow contact with them, I know what it is to never have written an essay in your entire undergraduate career and to spend 4 years being expected to just repeat what your professors told you in class.
All I said was that I found the Bod very uncomfortable to work in. I did say that it is very well stocked and I appreciate that. I don't get what your problem is. If you wanted to be at a better institution but you couldn't (for whichever reason) then based on your logic, tough luck. Based on your logic no one has the right to complain about anything cause we all chose to be where we are now instead of working at Starbucks.
Original post by evantej
I will keep this short.

Since when was working an easy life? :lolwut:
Original post by sj27
Well, I guess I meant saris and - not sure what the name for the men's outfits is - as opposed to western dress. She wore a stunning gold sari with red. All the guests also in saris etc.

Also, they are in their mid-20s and attending lots of weddings at the moment, which she says ends up being pricey because apparently it is not the done thing to wear the same sari to more than one occasion...

Yeah, you can't really wear the same saree twice, especially if you move in predominantly Asian circles :no:

Original post by scarlet ibis
TLG, are you Sri Lankan? I only ask because my uncle is and so my cousins are half Sri Lankan. My uncle is an amazing cook, I don't know if what he cooks is traditionally Sri Lankan or not but its certainly delicious!

We need to see some pics so we can say if your mum is wrong about your green and bronze saree!

I am indeed (Sinhalese, to be specific) :bhangra:

I will try and put pics up later :yes:
I too want pictures :biggrin: I vote green and bronze as well. :cool:
apotoftea
x

I've just remembered why I moved a supervision this year: we almost moved house, so I told them I'd be too busy with that, reasonably enough.

By the way, one supervision every 10 days seems a lot! I have about one each month.
Original post by sj27
We spell it "sari" here btw :smile:

Animal print here is something that only tourists wear really (I guess kind of like only tourists wear Oxford or Cambridge t-shirts in Oxford and Cambridge!) It seems this idea extends to saris too. An Indian colleague of mine also says it is much cheaper to get them made up in India than here, even in my old hometown (reputed to have the single largest Indian population outside of India, so no availability problems). She got married not long ago and had her sari made up in India.
Yes I still struggle writing 'saree' rather than 'sari'.

And I can't stand animal print! I wondered to myself if it was partly because of living in SA. I think when you know people who hunt and have animal pelts decorating their houses, it just makes fake animal print a gazillion times more tacky and cheap.
sj27

Interestingly, though both her family and her husband's are Christian (though both originally Hindu till a generation or two back) traditional dress is apparently still non-negotiable at occasions such as weddings.

That's not surprising. It must be especially important to retain certain features of your tradition if you've changed the religion. How else do you hold on to your culture?
Original post by *Corinna*
it's a beautiful combination! I love sarees in general, I really want to buy some but I don't have any occasion to wear them at. I have to wait till I get married. I'll wait for a long time :tongue:

I have a saree :proud: I lived with some Bengali researchers over the summer before my MPhil. Recently when they went back home for a visit they bought me a really nice one, in deep pinky red with a gold design around the edges. Only problem is that I can't do it up myself, no matter how many online tutorials I watched.

lol this made me laugh. I don't know, I never had any problems with splashes :tongue: I mean, come on, you have to be a pig to just leave the desk like that. I get what you mean about the smell though. Once a girl had brought boiled broccoli and cauliflower and for a few mins I thought someone was farting.
The UEA arrangement sounds awesome.
Hmm, well I think a lot of UK inhabitants are pigs, then.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You don't like spots? :sad: OK, the leapord ones are a bit dodgy (they're very me though :biggrin: ) but the white with dots one is nice. It's like Twister on a saree but with smaller blobs :woo:

While I was imagining it as more of a Cath Kidston thing, with only two different colours, and small spots, I thought it would be ok. Now that you've compared it to a Twister board, its a definite no! Also for some reason I don't like the combination of white with bright colours. I think white would be nice with pastel colour spots, but not bright ones. And I certainly don't like big spots.
Original post by evantej
I will keep this short.

Wait, so people aren't allowed to make ANY complaint about their Universities at all, if they chose to enrol there? That is the most ludicrous thing I've heard. I'm surprised you managed to hold yourself back all these months, evantej, while I moaned about the imperfections of the University I chose to accept my single funded offer from.
evantej

Corinna is complaining about insignificant things that have nothing to do with access to resources, and at the end of the day that is what is important, in complete ignorance of what most students have to put up with on a daily basis.

Since when are you the authority on which complaints are significant and which are not? I completely disagree that 'access to resources' are 'what is important'. For me, the availability of quiet work spaces is the most important, the quality of supervision and the people who are in my department (both staff and students). Everybody has their own priorities, and it is out of order for you to judge them for things they feel are important to them.
Do you speak Sinhalese? I'm looking at an overview of the language, bloody hell! It seems nefarious even by the standards of most Sanskrit derived languages. I'm genuinely surprised such a language could appear so south down the subcontinent. :|

AH PHILOLOGY. MY ONE TRUE LOVE.
Reply 2675
Original post by evantej
I will keep this short.

This is the Grumpy Old Graduates Society. This is a thread built to complain, whether for the sake of it or more likely because something affected them in a negative way.

The only point Corinna and I were making is that there are things other than library provision why both undergrads and postgrads might choose a university - sure, the library might be far more important for a postgrad arts student, but there are other reasons to choose somewhere. Feef has explained why she choose Newcastle despite it not having a great library for her purposes. However it's entirely understandable to choose something that is good in many ways and bad in some and then come to a thread built for whining and complain about those few bad things.

If you don't like people whining about graduate things, why come to a thread that encourages it?
Original post by Craghyrax

Hmm, well I think a lot of UK inhabitants are pigs, then.

Actually, this is not far from the truth. I remember when Lyceum's flatmates left for Christmas (2-3 weeks) and actually left food in their plates!! I don't even want to imagine at what state that food would be when they came back if I hadn't washed after them.
Actually, this is not far from the truth. I remember when Lyceum's flatmates left for Christmas (2-3 weeks) and actually left food in their plates!! I don't even want to imagine at what state that food would be when they came back if I hadn't washed after them.

I did some work in the French Alps with friends who own a holiday company, and rent out chalets. They get people from all over the world. They say that the Brits always left their chalets in a significantly worse state than any other nationality :dry: And yeh... this is a big reason that I'm so happy to finally have left student accommodation.
Reply 2678
My housemates are pretty tidy and clean -- maybe because they're all international students! My only issue with student accommodation is that it has other people living in it. But all other kinds of accommodation, including my family home, also have this problem, so I put up with it.
I live with my parents. My house is spotless!

If you don't count the dog hairs which manage to get on everything imaginable but sssssh.

Latest

Trending

Trending