Scroll to see replies

Original post by facdroit
No. I was created in a lab.

Brb uni at 17
brb graduated college at 16
brb making more money now than you will when you graduate
brb being rich
brb 142 iq

lol bro this is TSR not the bodybuilding.com forums...
Reply 61
It's called polercise and it's a great way to keep fit
Original post by Floob
Did you follow the links posted by village whisperer and myself?

The video posted by CherryCherryBoomBoom still has far too many 'stripper' moves in it and is not at all what we focus on at my uni soc.

Haha, fair enough :p:. But she is pretty awesome at what she does (and most importantly isn't stripping) and I don't really get the big deal in dancing sexily anywhoo *shrugs*

'Tis better than being an actual whore, no? (more directed at other people in the thread rather than you btw)
Reply 63
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Haha, fair enough :p:. But she is pretty awesome at what she does (and most importantly isn't stripping) and I don't really get the big deal in dancing sexily anywhoo *shrugs*

'Tis better than being an actual whore, no? (more directed at other people in the thread rather than you btw)

me neither except 1. I can't do it and 2. it doesn't really dispel any preconceptions that people who want to hate pole dancing may have

she's not bad by any means (still better than me) but most of the inverts etc. she does are only considered intermediate level moves which kind of puts into perspective just how impressive professional/elite level competition is these days
Reply 64

oh look, girls calling other girls whores. How far feminism has come :rolleyes:
Original post by Floob
me neither except 1. I can't do it and 2. it doesn't really dispel any preconceptions that people who want to hate pole dancing may have

she's not bad by any means (still better than me) but most of the inverts etc. she does are only considered intermediate level moves which kind of puts into perspective just how impressive professional/elite level competition is these days

I honestly didn't think that video would be looked at that badly, but OK I see your point, and yeah I guess the other videos posted in here are a bit more clear in how pole dancing can be graceful rather than raunchy.

Original post by py0alb

I don't see what's wrong with that, since it's not like all girls have been nice to me (and I'd rather not go into that right now since this isn't the place for it anyway). And I don't think you can really speak since you're the one who started saying silly things about pole dancing for fitness :yawn:

Like I said before, it doesn't look like we're gonna agree on anything so.
Reply 66

I don't see what's wrong with that, since it's not like all girls have been nice to me (and I'd rather not go into that right now since this isn't the place for it anyway). And I don't think you can really speak since you're the one who started saying silly things about pole dancing for fitness :yawn:

Like I said before, it doesn't look like we're gonna agree on anything so.

You don't see anything wrong about labelling people whores? You think you're better than them?

Besides, I haven't said a single silly thing in the whole thread. Everything I have said has been entirely accurate.
I honestly didn't think that video would be looked at that badly, but OK I see your point, and yeah I guess the other videos posted in here are a bit more clear in how pole dancing can be graceful rather than raunchy.

I have to agree with Floob, I found it quite uncomfortable to watch. I agree with your posts though so I'm not trying to start a fight, it's just that she's mainly dancing round a pole rather than doing moves on the pole. She still looks really strong.

Original post by py0alb

I thought she meant it as in prostitute, not as an insult.

My studio also run aerial hoop classes, I wonder if everyone saying pole dancers are strippers feels the same way about hoop?
Reply 68
Original post by New...Romantic

I thought she meant it as in prostitute, not as an insult.

I guess because women are forced through economic or social circumstances into working in the sex trade its ok to insult and demean them now, is it?

My studio also run aerial hoop classes, I wonder if everyone saying pole dancers are strippers feels the same way about hoop?

I dunno, how many strip clubs have aerial hoop dancers giving blow jobs for £80?
Original post by py0alb
I guess because women are forced through economic or social circumstances into working in the sex trade its ok to insult and demean them now, is it?

I dunno, how many strip clubs have aerial hoop dancers giving blow jobs for £80?

Well no but that's what the word means.

Umm none as far as I know. What's your point?
Reply 70
Well no but that's what the word means.

"Fag" also means homosexual but that doesn't make it ok to go around using it.

Umm none as far as I know. What's your point?

Pole dancing is first and foremost a form of stripping. Thats how it originated, what it was designed for, and the vast majority of how it is still performed. Just because some people try to desex it and repackage it as a form of exercise doesn't change what it is at a fundamental level.

The pole dancing societies that I have met before actually performed weekly routines at nightclubs in skimpy outfits. After all it is by its nature a performance activity. There is little point in learning impressive routines if you've got no-one to impress.

I'm not judging anyone. Some of the girls I met were very nice. I just think people should stop deluding themselves.
Original post by py0alb
"Fag" also means homosexual but that doesn't make it ok to go around using it.

Pole dancing is first and foremost a form of stripping. Thats how it originated, what it was designed for, and the vast majority of how it is still performed. Just because some people try to desex it and repackage it as a form of exercise doesn't change what it is at a fundamental level.

The pole dancing societies that I have met before actually performed weekly routines at nightclubs in skimpy outfits. After all it is by its nature a performance activity. There is little point in learning impressive routines if you've got no-one to impress.

I'm not judging anyone. Some of the girls I met were very nice. I just think people should stop deluding themselves.

I'm not going to get into an argument, I'm not defending the use of the word but I don't think your sneer about feminism was fair. It has little relevance to the thread anyway.

But it has been repackaged as exercise, that's the point. Some pole groups do teach the more sexual moves, I came across one that spent half an hour of each class teaching girls how to walk :lolwut: and use the pole to dance. So yes, I accept that some pole dancing societies may focus on the more sexual side but that's not the kind of class I would want to attend and I think you have to accept that other (better) classes don't teach that and do focus on strength and exercise.

It may have originated from stripping but it's evolved. There's a performer in the Cirque du Soleil who is a pole dancer. It also has similarities to chinese pole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iE8wvaa-Rk

Now that's obviously not for titillation so I don't see why pole dancing as fitness and exercise (not in a club) should be looked at any differently.
Reply 72
I'm not going to get into an argument, I'm not defending the use of the word but I don't think your sneer about feminism was fair. It has little relevance to the thread anyway.

But it has been repackaged as exercise, that's the point. Some pole groups do teach the more sexual moves, I came across one that spent half an hour of each class teaching girls how to walk :lolwut: and use the pole to dance. So yes, I accept that some pole dancing societies may focus on the more sexual side but that's not the kind of class I would want to attend and I think you have to accept that other (better) classes don't teach that and do focus on strength and exercise.

It may have originated from stripping but it's evolved. There's a performer in the Cirque du Soleil who is a pole dancer. It also has similarities to chinese pole:

Now that's obviously not for titillation so I don't see why pole dancing as fitness and exercise (not in a club) should be looked at any differently.

My point is, even those groups who just learn routines in the gym etc. are going to want to put on a display sooner or later. Otherwise what is the point of learning all the moves? Its like a sports team that only ever practices but never plays any games.
Original post by py0alb
My point is, even those groups who just learn routines in the gym etc. are going to want to put on a display sooner or later. Otherwise what is the point of learning all the moves? Its like a sports team that only ever practices but never plays any games.

And my point is that, like the link I just posted, the moves and routines don't have to be sexual. My class do shows once a year or so but I don't think I would want to perform. The point for me is that it's fun, I've learned a new skill and improved my strength and fitness. And yes the show was in the function room of a 'gentleman's club' (now there's a euphemism) but it was totally separate to the paying punters and it was just friends and family in the audience.
Reply 74
And my point is that, like the link I just posted, the moves and routines don't have to be sexual. My class do shows once a year or so but I don't think I would want to perform. The point for me is that it's fun, I've learned a new skill and improved my strength and fitness. And yes the show was in the function room of a 'gentleman's club' (now there's a euphemism) but it was totally separate to the paying punters and it was just friends and family in the audience.

Well I think you've made my point for me. Pole dancers naturally flock to their spiritual home, the stripclub. Thats ultimately what all those hours of practice were building up to.

I can't see how showing off your wares in front of "friends and family" is any more comfortable an experience than giving an eyeful to random punters though. :dontknow:
Reply 75
Original post by Village Whisper
I've never posted in this forum before, so hi :smile:

Basically, I'm starting uni this year and I'm thinking about which societies I might like to join. It's a very sporty uni (I'm going for Fine Art, though), so a lot of the societies and clubs are sports/fitness-oriented. I'm really not sporty at all, but I quite like the idea of getting more into fitness. Anyway, one of the societies I liked the look of was pole dancing, but I don't know whether I'd be completely useless at it or not. Sooo, I was hoping there'd be some girls who can answer a few questions I have :smile:

One question that I can't seem answer by searching online is whether height matters. I'm 5'10.5''-ish, and I don't know whether that's too tall for pole dancing? All the girls on Youtube look really small, which I would think would make it a bit easier (but maybe not). I'm a size 8, so it's not like I'm really heavy, but still. Does height make a difference?

Another thing is that my arms aren't especially strong, and I don't know if I'd be able to hold myself up! I can barely even do push ups :frown: I think my legs are quite strong, but would practicing push ups or something before I started (if I start) pole dancing make it any easier?

One last thing, I've never done any form of dancing before. It seems like pole dancing's like a form of gymnastics (which I used to do when I was younger), so does it matter if you've never done dancing before?

Sorry for all the questions, but the society only has limited places and apparently it's pretty popular, so I'd rather decide before I start uni whether I want to join. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :tongue:

Just do it, and take some photos and post on here so i have somthing to see #bringonthephotos. Hope your over 18 though :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Well I think you've made my point for me. Pole dancers naturally flock to their spiritual home, the stripclub. Thats ultimately what all those hours of practice were building up to.

I can't see how showing off your wares in front of "friends and family" is any more comfortable an experience than giving an eyeful to random punters though. :dontknow:

Well the function suite, and they'd have done it somewhere else but it's safer to use permanent poles and obviously that's the easiest place to find them... Oh you're clearly not listening to anything I'm saying and only focusing on things that you think prove your point. I think I've said enough to convince any reasonable person though.
Lol this thread reminds me of Russell Howard's Good News, the episode where in America they have like Christian Pole Dancing or summat with a similar name to that and they 'dance' to hymns and gospel music, and they were saying how it made them closer to god :tongue:

the things some people believe :rolleyes:
Reply 78

Yeah, there would be nothing sexually titillating whatsoever about an attractive girl wearing tight clothes doing the horizontal splits at eye level. :facepalm2:

Denial is not just a river in Egypt my dear.
Original post by facdroit
No. I was created in a lab.

Brb uni at 17
brb graduated college at 16
brb making more money now than you will when you graduate
brb being rich
brb 142 iq

worth losing out on all of this for a nice personality.

Quick Reply

Latest