The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Walcott is out for the rest of the season.
Original post by jam277
I just said that I bet that we tried to play for a draw today. I'm not passing judgement. We played our reserves team too, that's obvious since 3 out of the 11 played against barca on wednesday so in what way am I being an idiot?

Sorry you couldn't beat our second team today. Well done if you finish above us this year too. Hasn't happened in a while.

I'm not even wumming, just saying it how it is. No need to get angry. I didn't say we dominated you this match. I just said you couldn't beat our second team with your best team you could put out.
:biggrin:

Original post by jilebinator
this is what happens to chelsea fans why they beat barcelona by one goal.

I hope Barcelona spank you hard at the Nou camp.

Lets see what happens. To be fair, I sound like you guys the day before you faced birmingham city last year. Remember that? :ahee:
People hoped barca spanked us hard at the bridge, but we still haven't lost to them there. Have fun.

Anyway, it's the arsenal thread, so I'll talk about arsenal. How was the match like? Who would be the man of the match today?
This will have to do until I can find a GIF...

:adore:
Poor match. Conclusions are:

- We need someone to score goals . RVP is clearly off form and without him firing on all fronts we will seriously be in trouble if someone doesn't step up
- Rosicky is far an away our best midfielder atm without him we lack creativity
- Santos needs to start in midfield. Our midfield lacks ideas, could do with a Brazilian with flair
- Ramseys 2nd half was encouraging would still prefer he didnt start games
- Yossi has clearly been missed. We definitely need to sign him up as our squad players are shocking.
Original post by jam277

Think everyone said that above wednesday too. I think it was more dani alves getting raped by ramires, giving it to the drog and him scuffing his shot and slotting it home with our one shot on target. Your former captain was quality that game too, you would have thought he was a chelsea player in disguise.

I almost forgot :awesome:

:facepalm2:

You do understand that Barcelona are a completely different team at the Nou Camp?

Last year's Arsenal was better than this year's Chelsea and we got dominated. There is no hope for you.

Aren't you the one that thinks Ramires is world-class?
Original post by In2deep

7 years.
And Newcastle start to close the gap.
Reply 9568
Original post by Darth Vader 7
RVP couldn't do anything on his right foot and that was really stunting his ability to get the goal. He seems a little jaded at the moment. He shouldn't be as we have ample time to rest in between fixtures.

Might be mental fatigue as much as physical...being that important to a side for an entire season must take a lot out of you. Rooney's form dropped for a short time earlier in the season, Aguero and Silva haven't been able to maintain their bright starts, Mata hasn't for Chelsea, Bale for Spurs, even Ba for Newcastle. While there are obviously other factors, physical fatigue being an obvious one, with Ba it's a change in role more than anything, the point still stands that to perform with consistent excellence over an entire 38 game season requires phenomenal mental strength (sorry Arsene). Ronaldo and Messi have proven they can do it, that's why they're considered miles ahead of anyone else as the best 2 players in the world.

Original post by marcusmerehay

I'm not going to dwell on the penalty shout, because it's probably already been done to death.

The Cahill RVP one? Nothing in it for me, has barely been mentioned afaik.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9569
Come on Fabregas, score a few on tuesday night for us :biggrin:
Reply 9570

You do understand that Barcelona are a completely different team at the Nou Camp?

Last year's Arsenal was better than this year's Chelsea and we got dominated. There is no hope for you.

Pretty ignorant view of football there. Anything can happen, we don't even need to win to go through. I'm not saying we will, but anyone who is 100% sure we're going to lose is clearly very naive about football.
Newcastle 2 up. That gap is just getting smaller and smaller.

Aren't you the one that thinks Ramires is world-class?

Meh, we'll see.
I think ramires is class and is severely underrated. He just lacks passing ability and finishing for a midfielder, but our record without him this season shows how vital he is to the team. Probably just as vital as mata is.

You played to try and outplay barca at the nou camp :facepalm2:, hence that is what happens, you play with the ball, and panic without it. You were unlucky though that match anyway and could have gone through to be entirely fair. We won't outplay barca, as we don't need to. We also kept a clean sheet.

Anyway, lets see on tuesday. They have an el classico today and will use their key players while our key players have all had a rest. Barca won't give up the league either, so they will be more fatigued on tuesday.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Louis.

I think Mike Dean was a bit quick to suggest Robin was 'backing in' - undoubtedly seen them given.
Original post by Louis.
Might be mental fatigue as much as physical...being that important to a side for an entire season must take a lot out of you. Rooney's form dropped for a short time earlier in the season, Aguero and Silva haven't been able to maintain their bright starts, Mata hasn't for Chelsea, Bale for Spurs, even Ba for Newcastle. While there are obviously other factors, physical fatigue being an obvious one, with Ba it's a change in role more than anything, the point still stands that to perform with consistent excellence over an entire 38 game season requires phenomenal mental strength (sorry Arsene). Ronaldo and Messi have proven they can do it, that's why they're considered miles ahead of anyone else as the best 2 players in the world.

Definitely agree, another possibility is having played so many games over a whole season will slowly take away your edge, I've heard a few players mention this, i.e, they are "fresh" at the beginning of the season but they can't get back to that level even if they rest for 10 or 14 days by the end if they played every game inbetween.

RVP might be great but he is nowhere near Ronaldo or Messi, he has to pass the greats at Arsenal first and he still has a lot to go to be honest if he's ever going to do it.

I don't think that was a pen either, even RVP didn't. I think we got very lucky with Sagna's challenge on Bertrand, would have been easier to give that pen than to deny it.
Original post by jam277
Meh, we'll see.
I think ramires is class and is severely underrated. He just lacks passing ability and finishing for a midfielder, but our record without him this season shows how vital he is to the team. Probably just as vital as mata is.

You played to try and outplay barca at the nou camp :facepalm2:, hence that is what happens, you play with the ball, and panic without it. You were unlucky though that match anyway and could have gone through to be entirely fair. We won't outplay barca, as we don't need to. We also kept a clean sheet.

Anyway, lets see on tuesday. They have an el classico today and will use their key players while our key players have all had a rest. Barca won't give up the league either, so they will be more fatigued on tuesday.

Ramires lacks passing ability and finishing? Something that is considerably important to a midfielder? :rofl:

We didn't try to outplay Barca. We defended with only 10 players which is considerably harder against a normal team, let alone Barca.

I'm pretty sure they'll prioritise the CL over La Liga.
Walcott out for the rest of the season:frown: ominous or blessing in disguise?
Reply 9577
Original post by marcusmerehay
I think Mike Dean was a bit quick to suggest Robin was 'backing in' - undoubtedly seen them given.

I just thought RVP recognised the ball was going over him and made the most of the contact. Can't give those, you can't penalise every bit of contact between strikers and CBs. The player's reactions said a lot too, very little made of it.

Couple of half shouts, the one we're talking about, Sagna on Bertrand and I think you might have had another, but the fact these were the biggest decisions the ref had to make is kind of reflective of such a low key match. Maybe a bit card happy but I thought he had a good game.
Original post by In2deep
Definitely agree, another possibility is having played so many games over a whole season will slowly take away your edge, I've heard a few players mention this, i.e, they are "fresh" at the beginning of the season but they can't get back to that level even if they rest for 10 or 14 days by the end if they played every game inbetween.

RVP might be great but he is nowhere near Ronaldo or Messi, he has to pass the greats at Arsenal first and he still has a lot to go to be honest if he's ever going to do it.

I don't think that was a pen either, even RVP didn't. I think we got very lucky with Sagna's challenge on Bertrand, would have been easier to give that pen than to deny it.

Do you reckon that if RVP has a season like this again he would surpass the likes of henry and bergkamp or it wouldn't be enough?
Ramires lacks passing ability and finishing? Something that is considerably important to a midfielder? :rofl:

We didn't try to outplay Barca. We defended with only 10 players which is considerably harder against a normal team, let alone Barca.

I'm pretty sure they'll prioritise the CL over La Liga.

So you think guardiola would want the fans to see his team get spanked by real because he wanted to save xavi/pique/iniesta for the CL match against chelsea? He'll play his best team today, he'll probably use cuenca/tello on the wings or something, besides that I don't see him giving up on the league like this. He's not that kind of guy.

Latest