The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy and Ethics Exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Hey guys im still really worried about ethics, like did we need to talk about specific theories or could we have just said it general personhood/quality/sancity/rights/universalise etc for q1 2??

Thanks in advance
Original post by airhead 121
panickingggggggggggg
thought i did so well as well
answered aristotle question but didnt write naything about his 4 causes would i loose marks because the question was to explain prime mover ????????????? :frown:

It's okay! I spoke to my teacher after the exam because I ran out of things to write and started to apply the PM to the four causes (because it's the efficient and final cause of everything) but I was worried it was pointless and she said it'll be worth a couple of marks. So you didn't miss anything major!
Reply 402
Original post by britash
First person on here who did it!! :smile:
What did you think of the paper?
I thought it was *odd* compared to other past questions, they seem to have made it a lot harder in my opinion..??
And which questions did you do??!

I did 2 and 3, those were the least evil lol. Yeah it was alot harder compared o past ones I was aiming for an A but would be content with a B. What questions did you do?
Reply 403
Dis anyone do G578 Islam??
Reply 404
Original post by KitKatTime
Hopefully they'll be low enough for us to all pass.. I don't really understand how the grade boundaries work, but I'm hoping that however they work, and whatever they are.. we can all pass..

I think the boundary will be quite high. The questions were really good to be fair, like 'Moral issues surrounding euthanasia' for Ethics and 'Explain Kants Moral Argument' for Philosophy were dream questions. The were straight forward and no messing around trying to figure out what they actually wanted. I think a lot of people will have done well and therefore boundaries will be higher. Sorry to be the mood-killer.
Reply 405
Original post by Wa 007
Hey guys im still really worried about ethics, like did we need to talk about specific theories or could we have just said it general personhood/quality/sancity/rights/universalise etc for q1 2??

Thanks in advance

I think the 'Explain the moral issues surrounding Euthanasia' one wanted you to explain the moral issues i.e the issue of person-hood/sanctity of life ect. and then maybe relate that to ethical theories to see how they would deal with these issues.
Original post by joelchan
I think the boundary will be quite high. The questions were really good to be fair, like 'Moral issues surrounding euthanasia' for Ethics and 'Explain Kants Moral Argument' for Philosophy were dream questions. The were straight forward and no messing around trying to figure out what they actually wanted. I think a lot of people will have done well and therefore boundaries will be higher. Sorry to be the mood-killer.

I agree with the Philosophy, I almost cried tears of joy when I saw Kants name because he had been the one I revised the most for... I guess I just struggled a lot more on Ethics because I hadn't revised moral issues surrounding certain things that well... But oh well! As long as I can get higher than a U it's fine, haha.
Don't apologise for being a mood-killer either, it was just a bit of wishful thinking :smile:
Reply 407
Original post by Americaniamh
For people who did Kant on of PoR paper, what did you guys write about?

I basically talked about he dismissed the other arguments, believed the Categorical Imperative had an unconditional, transcendent claim on us and, therefore, as we couldn't fulfil the summum bonum in our human lifetime, there must be an afterlife where the moral balance is fulfilled...? Oh, and that God is the source of this transcendent claim on us? I'm not sure I wrote enough though as we didn't really cover it much in class... about three and a half pages I think?

Basically the foundation of the moral argument is 'ought implies can' and therefore if we ought to achieve summon bonum then there is no reason why we cannot. If we can there must be a rewarded which is what Kant believed was God. The first thing to do would have been to explain what summon bonum is and how it influences morality and then link that with the idea of God. I was surprised at this question because summon bonum came up only last year and it's almost the same here except you are required to explain why it proves the existence of God as well.

For an AS part one question you should be aiming to write about 2-3 pages in order to get enough info in (provided that your not prone to waffling about rubbish) So I think, depending on how big your handwriting is, that 3 and a half is sufficient.
Reply 408
Original post by britash
Just asking out of opinion.. *why* did you pick augustine and kants moral argument?
I'm just curious as MANY people seem to have done these two.
But me and literally the *tiny* amount of people I actually know chose the Plato and Aristotle..
(i'm not saying its wrong for you to have picked them, but just wondering your.. reasons? do you like those best, or think the plato was *too easy??*

I think that for those who have done both Philosophy and Ethics would have found 1 and 2 the easier because they could have applied more synoptic knowledge. But for those who have just had to revise for philosophy then of course Plato and Aristotle are the main and arguably most important to understand. They are after all the forefathers of philosophy. Just my opinion.
Reply 409
Original post by britash
This makes me feel better ^^ Thanks.

For the Aristotle one, I still did struggle a bit, because to be honest, I didnt know what a prime mover was, but i have made 3 pages worth of points about it being unmoved mover, thought about itself, pure actuality and how it didnt interact with the world like the classical theism God. I started off about writing about the School of Athens painting, the quote from Metaphysics, Permanence and change, Matter and form, potentiality and actuality.. so hopefully I haven't missed *too* much out. :/
If not, re-sit :tongue:

The Prime Mover to Aristotle is the first of all substances, the necessary first sources of movement which is itself unmoved and in Metaphysics Aristotle also calls this being ‘God’. So you did the right thing. Well done, you could have also written about the causes if you didn't have enough but this was needed. Sometimes its much better to write loads of in depth knowledge about aspects of theories than to bomb down everything with little explanation. A brief overview of his entire theory wouldn't have sounded very good.
Original post by joelchan
Basically the foundation of the moral argument is 'ought implies can' and therefore if we ought to achieve summon bonum then there is no reason why we cannot. If we can there must be a rewarded which is what Kant believed was God. The first thing to do would have been to explain what summon bonum is and how it influences morality and then link that with the idea of God. I was surprised at this question because summon bonum came up only last year and it's almost the same here except you are required to explain why it proves the existence of God as well.

For an AS part one question you should be aiming to write about 2-3 pages in order to get enough info in (provided that your not prone to waffling about rubbish) So I think, depending on how big your handwriting is, that 3 and a half is sufficient.

Darn! I wish I'd talked more about 'ought implies can'... :/

Not sure how I've done now then...
Reply 411
Generally happy with how both Philosophy and Ethics went. Did Plato and Moral Arg for Philosophy, and for Ethics I did Euthanasia and Deontological/Teleological. Struggled with the Ethics a wee bit, which is strange because I imagined that I'd get an A in Ethics and struggle in Philosophy; but I suppose it went the other way round. Ah well, good luck to everyone! Hope you all get the grade you want/deserve. I myself would be happy with a B :smile:
Reply 412
Original post by tony66
I did 2 and 3, those were the least evil lol. Yeah it was alot harder compared o past ones I was aiming for an A but would be content with a B. What questions did you do?

I did 1 and 4. Haha :smile:
Hoenstly had no idea about the fig tree story and I decided that the only topic I wouldnt even touch was the resurrections, (even though my teacher predicted matthews resurrection to be on the paper, and it was :tongue:)

Roman occupation went super well.
I made up the one about Gethemsane.... so i've not got *good* mark for that, but it was my best shot at it. Couldnt even attempt the other two :tongue:
I *want* and A... but i'd be happy with a C or something, considering I didnt revise :tongue:
Reply 413
Original post by DomPugh
The B part on Aristotle was amazing! You could talk about creationism,cosmological argument and teleological argument! It just wasn't linked closely to Aristotle.

Yeah it wasnt too bad.
I just talked about the aspects of God if he was all-loving etc etc. Mill's teleological against and Paleys for were a big part of my essay as well :smile: Creationism, Science, yepp, think I might have done okay... *maybe.....* XD
Reply 414
Original post by britash
Yeah it wasnt too bad.
I just talked about the aspects of God if he was all-loving etc etc. Mill's teleological against and Paleys for were a big part of my essay as well :smile: Creationism, Science, yepp, think I might have done okay... *maybe.....* XD

Plus there was Betrand Russells "The universe just is" quote :smile:
Reply 415
Original post by britash
I did 1 and 4. Haha :smile:
Hoenstly had no idea about the fig tree story and I decided that the only topic I wouldnt even touch was the resurrections, (even though my teacher predicted matthews resurrection to be on the paper, and it was :tongue:)

Roman occupation went super well.
I made up the one about Gethemsane.... so i've not got *good* mark for that, but it was my best shot at it. Couldnt even attempt the other two :tongue:
I *want* and A... but i'd be happy with a C or something, considering I didnt revise :tongue:

I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind as you: plus I didn't revise either hehe, how have your other exams gone?
What did you write about for the Euthanasia?
Original post by lordmackery
What did you write about for the Euthanasia?

Rights and personhood
Sanctity vs Quality
Doctrine of Double effect (because I did like a whole paragraph on the Church and Natural Law)
Slippery Slope
Kill vs Let Die
Dignity w/ Hospice

I included more scholars and ethical theories than I explained each of those issues; apparently you weren't supposed to do that.
Reply 418
Original post by tastetherainbow
Think it was a bit of a flop tbh! The practise essays I've done have all got really good marks but I'm not feeling too confident about the actual exam!

When I did my AS Philosophy exam for OCR RS I thought I completely messed up, was dreading results day...turned out I got 91% on the question, so don't feel not so confident about it!

I redid my AS Ethics this January too, thought I messed up Q4 as I completely forgot to look into the strengths and weaknesses of Aquinas, so said about one good and bad point about it then went straight into Kantian ethics as an alternative (something like that)...turns out I got an A in that exam too! 89%

So don't give up hope on doing well in the exam, you're probably just worrying over nothing like I was (:

I thought I messed up A2 Ethics in January as well, had a long day of all my exams with only an hours break (from 9-3ish), RS was right at the end of the day and as soon as I opened the paper I just couldn't think of what to put and I started worrying, seeing everyone else writing stuff down. I thought I completely messed up the virtue ethics question, and the question about free will I realised I missed out soft determinism...turns out I still got a C though so it wasn't too bad, didn't think I'd get that either.

So yeah, don't give up hope and all that, there's no need to worry about it as it's done and I'm sure you did better than expected (:
Reply 419
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Rights and personhood
Sanctity vs Quality
Doctrine of Double effect (because I did like a whole paragraph on the Church and Natural Law)
Slippery Slope
Kill vs Let Die
Dignity w/ Hospice

I included more scholars and ethical theories than I explained each of those issues; apparently you weren't supposed to do that.

Yeah did similar but added ideas about liabilty. I also included the idea of autonomy and J.S Mills idea about liberty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending