The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zyyz
I agree with that about the trophy thing, and if arsenal aren't going to invest then I'd respect him for leaving. Wouldn't mind if it were abroad, but just not city as they don't even need him ffs, it's just them buying us out all over again if he went there. What would you think if city bought rooney and Valencia next year if you didn't win a trophy again?

The difference is though, Rooney has won 4 titles and a champions league (among other things) with us.
I'd be much more pissed off at Van Persie if he leaves for City than say Barca or Madrid. Don't really know why. I think I hate City more than United fans atm.
I was hopeing we wouldn't have to deal with a drawn out saga this year. If Van Persie dosn't like the deal in front of him, just sell him to the highest bidder as soon as possible and move on.
Original post by darkshadow1111
The only reason you lot have finished third this year is due to the teams around you. Chelsea's level has completely dropped which was not helped with avb managing them, liverpool have just been an utter mess these past few years, tottenham manage to choke and let slip a big point gap between you and them. Its not due to you eloquent passing football that you've managed to Finnish third it due to the destruction of the teams around you and an amazing striker. If you were to lose him surly it will be very difficult for you to Finnish fourth, especially when tottenham are recruiting and wont have their manager disruption again and chelsea are also bound to get better.

70pts is nothing to be scoffed at...
Reply 2904
Original post by Abiraleft
Would be great, but I see next to no chance of it happening. For one, Mourinho has already stated that he won't sell him. For another, wages.

I know Mourinho said that, but there comes a point where Higuain must want out. He wouldn't be playing games with Van Persie and Benzema above him and he's far too talented not to play regularly. The issue is more to do with whether we can attract a player of his calliber and talent rather than what Mourinho's thinks.

Wages could be an issue. But, hey, if we're willing to break the wage structure for RVP, we could do it with Higuain I guess. Besides, there are far too many bench players in our team earning exorbitant wages. If we get rid of the dead weight, it would clear a lot of wages. In the current market, if we cannot pay big wages for star players, we won't get any.

I know it's a long shot, but a man can hope. :colondollar:

Original post by Darth Vader 7
I'd be much more pissed off at Van Persie if he leaves for City than say Barca or Madrid. Don't really know why. I think I hate City more than United fans atm.

I can't disagree with this.

He's been linked with Utd, but that just seems incredibly unlikely. Apparently Barca aren't even in the hunt for him (coming from dodgy sources though), and I don't really see what Madrid would want Van Persie for - Mourinho would be better off spending money on a RB/CB rather than the forward position. All that leaves is Man City, which worries me a lot.

I have hope that Van Persie is smart enough not to go to Man City, and that if he really is thinking about leaving, he's banking on Real/Barca going for him. If that doesn't work out, he'll stay?
Reply 2905
Does anyone know anything about Giroud ? Who is meant to be in for him ? Will he be gettable ?
Original post by alexsong
Does anyone know anything about Giroud ? Who is meant to be in for him ? Will he be gettable ?

But you have Park, Chamakh and Bendtner coming back from loan.

:colondollar:
Reply 2907
Officially, RVP has been barred to talk to the press whilst on international duty. Surely this will lead to more doubts/questions on RvP's plans?
Original post by Xotol

I can't disagree with this.

He's been linked with Utd, but that just seems incredibly unlikely. Apparently Barca aren't even in the hunt for him (coming from dodgy sources though), and I don't really see what Madrid would want Van Persie for - Mourinho would be better off spending money on a RB/CB rather than the forward position. All that leaves is Man City, which worries me a lot.

I have hope that Van Persie is smart enough not to go to Man City, and that if he really is thinking about leaving, he's banking on Real/Barca going for him. If that doesn't work out, he'll stay?

What I really hate about City is how easily they can buy players from us. They have so much money and now success, that Arsenal have no answer to a player that wants to leave for City. They are completely ruining football and you'd never see Man Utd or even Chelsea do such things.

Original post by alexsong

Apparently, the owners of Montepellier are willing to listen to any offers regarding him. However, there have been rumours that he is Bayern bound.

If Van Persie does leave, I think we'll go and get Giroud at least.
Reply 2909
Original post by DaveSmith99
The difference is though, Rooney has won 4 titles and a champions league (among other things) with us.

I suppose so, but you still wouldn't be happy with him going to a rival would you
Some good typical English banter here from this season lads to raise moral, missing it already. :frown:

Reply 2911
Original post by Xotol
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone think we could possibly get Higuain in a trade for Van Persie if Madrid go for him? It's no secret that Higuain wants first team football, and although we might not be his first choice, he would be the main striker in a Champions League team. After all, Higuain would probably be relegated to third choice striker if Madrid get Van Persie - Benzema is already ahead of him in the pecking order and Ronaldo & Ozil are starters.

It would be an awesome deal. We would get one of the most clinical strikers in Europe and he's only 23. I wouldn't really take the loss of Van Persie that badly.

This is exactly what I did in my FIFA manager mode. El Pipita looked good in an Arsenal shirt. :colone:
Reply 2912
Out of the calibre of striker than we will need if RvP leaves e.g. Falcao,Cavani,Higuain,Llorente, Giroud who would be a realistic signing? And are there any other strikers that could do the job?

Also, how much do you think we could get for Robin? £25-£35m?
Original post by gunit123
Officially, RVP has been barred to talk to the press whilst on international duty. Surely this will lead to more doubts/questions on RvP's plans?

It does suggest the level of Arsenal's anxiety, but I think it would be for his benefit as well, to keep his mind clear and focused on performing for his country instead of being incessantly inundated with questions about Arsenal and his future, reminding him about the decision he has to make and potentially throwing him off his game [that is, if he still has a decision to make].
Original post by J.Star
Out of the calibre of striker than we will need if RvP leaves e.g. Falcao,Cavani,Higuain,Llorente, Giroud who would be a realistic signing? And are there any other strikers that could do the job?

We wouldn't get that much for robin, as its the final year of the contract. And I doubt any of those strikers would come to arsenal bar giroud and llorente. Even then, bayern are in talks with giroud and llorente has a lot of interest. The others are on too much money and uninterested in coming to arsenal when they could go to chelsea/united.

Podoloski will be the replacement when robin leaves. With any luck then someone like holliett will join. Looks like we'll be playing one striker, all season, next season.
Original post by J.Star

Mourinho is adamant that Higuain won't leave, but he seems keen to; PSG have been linked for quite some time, and Pastore said in the Press recently that they are still in contact with him. If they do decide to bid for him, there's no way we could out price them.

Apparently Cavani is a high priority for Juventus [but hey, so apparently is RVP], Falcao and Llorente have both generated huge interest from bigger clubs and I doubt their respective clubs would sell them at an 'Arsenal price'.

The only realistic one is Giroud, but then he's said that his agent has contacted Bayern and he has a desire to play there. However, whether they'd bid for him is another matter, due to his similarity to Gomez, and he's stated in the Press recently that he 'dreams of England', so who knows.

I have a feeling that if RVP does leave, Podolski will be our new striker; in my mind he was always either going to play alongside/behind RVP or be his replacement.
(edited 11 years ago)
In other news, Fabianski has told Polish newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza that he wants to leave this Summer, and that, "I hope that my adventure with Arsenal has come to an end."

Also, Redknapp met Marseille striker Loïc Rémy in Paris yesterday.
Original post by gunit123

Didn't we officially ban Cesc from talking to the press during the whole Barca saga? We all know how that ended :frown:
Original post by Peggles_*
Didn't we officially ban Cesc from talking to the press during the whole Barca saga? We all know how that ended :frown:

If you're talking about the World cup...

Yup, he stayed at Arsenal for that season.
Original post by Glow in the dark
Some good typical English banter here from this season lads to raise moral, missing it already. :frown:

Soccer Saturdays <3 Haha! Always picking on Thompson
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest