The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3800
Original post by Craghyrax
Got it on my shelf, but haven't read it yet. Eco's a pain to read. Arguably more so than Foucault, which is quite an achievement :p:

I do find some of his stuff heavy going, but love the above two.

Incidentally: is there some trick to multi-quoting across pages? I can't seem to do it.
Original post by sj27
I do find some of his stuff heavy going, but love the above two.

Incidentally: is there some trick to multi-quoting across pages? I can't seem to do it.

Once they fix the bugs, the little plus button should work again. Across pages I just copy and paste everything I collected on the first page before moving to the second.
Reply 3802
Original post by Cora Lindsay
This is all a bit cryptic for me, but if I understand correctly, the difficulty is an aversion to hard work, possibly coupled with an attitude of 'I pay good money to be here- it is your responsibility to make sure I do well'.

If so, I heard a very nice analogy the other day- we are not providing a service to students, but we have a coaching role. If you think of fitness trainers, for example, they provide guidance and support but in the end, it's down to you to make a difference and, if you don't put the effort in, there won't be a return, and that is not your coach's fault. Time for a few home truths in my view and apologies if I have totally misunderstood.

I kept it cryptic in case it was to be read by anyone. You're along the right lines though. What I've not said is that it's all solely voluntary and teaching those with disabilities how to do something practical.

My issue is far more with the person hurling insults, than trying to teach and encourage y, that's for sure :smile:
Original post by sj27
Indeed, I am. I love Eco - that and The Name of the Rose are two of my favourite books.

Inspiring me to read it again :smile:
I am coming to the end of my work contract. I had three days of leave to take, the first of which I am using tomorrow, which means I only have three days left (Friday, Monday and Tuesday) before I finish on the 31st.

The woman whose maternity leave I have been covering has been back for a few weeks now as the manager wanted to try to transition over the two of us as smoothly as possible. I have tried to get her up to speed but progress has been slow for a number of reasons: she has been off sick; she has reduced her working hours, and taken off the most important day of the week (for the job); she seems hesitant to work independently; and she is just plain lazy.

Tomorrow is the first time she will be left on her own to complete a task to deadline, which affects the whole prison. I have shown her how to do it every week since she came back, and went over it three times today, and emailed her instructions before I left this afternoon. I have absolutely no faith in her ability to do the job when I am not there, and that is because I am there doing it. I am not sure what to do (i.e. whether or not to speak to the manager). I am in the process of writing absurdly detailed instructions for her that I will send to a number of staff on the day I leave so she should be able to carry on doing things my way, which was a vast improvement on the way things were done. But I have a feeling most of this will go out of the window by the end of next week. I think it is best if I just keep quiet to be honest...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by evantej
I am coming to the end of my work contract. I had three days of leave to take, the first of which I am using tomorrow, which means I only have three days left (Friday, Monday and Tuesday) before I finish on the 31st.

The woman whose maternity leave I have been covering has been back for a few weeks now as the manager wanted to try to transition over the two of us as smoothly as possible. I have tried to get her up to speed but progress has been slow for a number of reasons: she has been off sick; she has reduced her working hours, and taken off the most important day of the week (for the job); she seems hesitant to work independently; and she is just plain lazy.

Tomorrow is the first time she will be left on her own to complete a task to deadline, which affects the whole prison. I have shown her how to do it every week since she came back, and went over it three times today, and emailed her instructions before I left this afternoon. I have absolutely no faith in her ability to do the job when I am not there, and that is because I am there doing it. I am not sure what to do (i.e. whether or not to speak to the manager). I am in the process of writing absurdly detailed instructions for her that I will send to a number of staff on the day I leave so she should be able to carry on doing things my way, which was a vast improvement on the way things were done. But I have a feeling most of this will go out of the window by the end of next week. I think it is best if I just keep quiet to be honest...

That kind of thing is so frustrating. I'm not really sure what the best advice for you is really, because although it's obviously not your problem once you've left, the idea of leaving something in a less good state than you can is obviously a terrible one. So you have my sympathy.
Reply 3806
Original post by evantej

I don't have any really good advice for your situation, but I thought that I'd just say that it sounds like you're doing everything you can do to make sure that things go on as well as possible after you finish. I'd be inclined in your position to do what it seems like you're leaning towards right now and do what's possible behind the scenes with the instructions but not going as far as discussing with your manager. Doesn't seem ideal though for what's good for the place overall, especially if they do revert. :-/
Are there any GoGS who are, perchance, staff members at Bristol Uni? If so, I'd be grateful for a pm :smile:
Original post by threeportdrift
Are there any GoGS who are, perchance, staff members at Bristol Uni? If so, I'd be grateful for a pm :smile:

Is that because you actually want a staff member or because you need something that only staff have access to? I'm a lowly PhD student but the university seems to treat research postgrads as staff for lots of things so it's possible I might be able to help?
Original post by Cirsium

Is that because you actually want a staff member or because you need something that only staff have access to? I'm a lowly PhD student but the university seems to treat research postgrads as staff for lots of things so it's possible I might be able to help?

Many thanks, I've pm'd you the details, and fingers crossed!
Reply 3810
Habitus = a theory about the nature of human agency. Its principle points are:
a) We are all affected by our cumulative experiences throughout life which shape our world view, preferences, etc.
b) From a young age we pick up dispositions which are really strong instinctive tendencies that we aren't fully conscious of, which motivate us to like certain things, dislike others, and generally influence all of our choices.
c) A lot of our orientation towards the world is calculated on an intuitive, unconscious level, and this has to be taken into account when explaining human behaviour because our behaviour doesn't always make sense in light of our professed explanations/views/attitudes.
d) We also have a lot of conscious attitudes and views about our life, decisions, selves, etc. which also influence things but aren't the only thing shaping our behaviour.
e) Our embodiment is an important aspect in our experience of and orientation to the world. We mustn't ignore the influence that physicality has on our ideas, emotions and attitudes, especially as quite often we are unaware of how our physical state is affecting our behaviour and frame of mind. (this principle is really interesting as it opens the way for trying to bring in neuroscience into social theories about human behaviour).

So that's it in English.

I'm not French, so I wouldn't know whether 'capitol' was the correct English translation or not. All I know is that all of Bourdieu's work that has been published in English uses capital instead, and that this is the usage circulated in any english research referring to Bourdieu.

Aye, I understood it mostly. Go me.

I think that's my main reason for not really getting behind it. Whilst it's a decent theory, it delves deeply into psychology, but without any real evidence from that field to back it up from what I've read of it anyway. Obviously, this might be wrong of me and if so, that's great.

That and I find so much of it just common sense, but that might be because his ideas filtered down and became part of common sense.
Original post by Hylean
Aye, I understood it mostly. Go me.
:five:Yeh, I tend to assume when people struggle that it just hasn't been explained carefully and patiently enough. And obviously his terminology might get in the way. I find lots of people close themselves off to theory because they think its harder than it is and assume they won't get it.

I think that's my main reason for not really getting behind it. Whilst it's a decent theory, it delves deeply into psychology, but without any real evidence from that field to back it up from what I've read of it anyway. Obviously, this might be wrong of me and if so, that's great.

That and I find so much of it just common sense, but that might be because his ideas filtered down and became part of common sense.

It is common sense but a lot of people in the social sciences disagree with 'common sense' for various reasons. So it becomes important to actually stress the common sense when people are fond of incorrect views about social nature.
As to psychological research, there has been research to back up the idea of habitus. I'd be happy to send you an article if you were interested.
I would love it if every discipline were on top of research in all the others, but I think that's not practical or plausible. Bourdieu was an anthropologist and sociologist (who originally trained as a philosopher). It would be difficult for him to do neuroscience research without changing career, which is really where a lot of the hard evidence we needs comes from.
And actually a lot of the points underpinning his theory don't need evidence to back them up because they are things we can agree a priori about the social world.

I would see the theory as a useful starting point and have written on several occasions regarding how we need to try and create bridges between neuroscience and social science in order to fine tune the theory we draw on. At least Bourdieu's account goes into psychological concerns rather than ignoring them, as most other social theories do, when its obvious that they play an important role.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3812
:five:Yeh, I tend to assume when people struggle that it just hasn't been explained carefully and patiently enough. And obviously his terminology might get in the way. I find lots of people close themselves off to theory because they think its harder than it is and assume they won't get it.

Maybe that's because most theorists are experts at making their ideas sound a great deal harder than they actually are?:erm:
A couple of weeks ago, I had to read a book on editing theory that was supposedly relevant to my argument, but I spent half an hour just poring over the bloody preface, which was so obscurely written it made no sense at all. It was extremely frustrating. Luckily I persisted and started reading further and then eventually went back to the preface. At the second attempt I could finally figure out what the guy meant, and his ideas turned out to be perfectly sensible and straightforward (and they actually were relevant to my argument), but it was all but impossible to get through the language, and the introduction was worst of all.
Reply 3813
So much to do, so little time and my archive's shut :mad:
Just had my first abstract accepted for a conference :biggrin:
Reply 3815
Just came across this - another move towards open access - in the US, a petition to require free access over the Internet to scientific journal articles arising from taxpayer-funded research. (Seems an eminently reasonable request to me? :nod: )

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/require-free-access-over-internet-scientific-journal-articles-arising-taxpayer-funded-research/wDX82FLQ
Original post by hobnob
Maybe that's because most theorists are experts at making their ideas sound a great deal harder than they actually are?:erm:
A couple of weeks ago, I had to read a book on editing theory that was supposedly relevant to my argument, but I spent half an hour just poring over the bloody preface, which was so obscurely written it made no sense at all. It was extremely frustrating. Luckily I persisted and started reading further and then eventually went back to the preface. At the second attempt I could finally figure out what the guy meant, and his ideas turned out to be perfectly sensible and straightforward (and they actually were relevant to my argument), but it was all but impossible to get through the language, and the introduction was worst of all.

No, you can't generalise. That is true of literary theory, and continental philosophy more broadly. However analytic philosophy, by contrast, prides itself on its clarity.
Original post by sj27
Just came across this - another move towards open access - in the US, a petition to require free access over the Internet to scientific journal articles arising from taxpayer-funded research. (Seems an eminently reasonable request to me? :yes: )

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/require-free-access-over-internet-scientific-journal-articles-arising-taxpayer-funded-research/wDX82FLQ

Definitely! Here's hoping.
Reply 3818
No, you can't generalise. That is true of literary theory, and continental philosophy more broadly. However analytic philosophy, by contrast, prides itself on its clarity.

That guy was American, actually. But the book read as though it had been translated from French.:s-smilie:
Original post by hobnob
That guy was American, actually. But the book read as though it had been translated from French.:s-smilie:

:rofl:
Continental refers to style not nationality!

Here's
a New York Times article to explain it :smile:

In view of their substantive philosophical differences, it’s obvious that analytic and continental philosophers would profit by greater familiarity with one another’s work, and discussions across the divide would make for a better philosophical world. Here, however, there is a serious lack of symmetry between analytic and continental thought. This is due to the relative clarity of most analytic writing in contrast to the obscurity of much continental work.

Because of its commitment to clarity, analytic philosophy functions as an effective lingua franca for any philosophical ideas. (Even the most difficult writers, such as Sellars and Davidson, find disciples who write clarifying commentaries.) There is, moreover, a continuing demand for analytic expositions of major continental figures. It’s obvious why there is no corresponding market for, say, expositions of Quine, Rawls or Kripke in the idioms of Heidegger, Derrida or Deleuze. With all due appreciation for the limits of what cannot be said with full clarity, training in analytic philosophy would greatly improve the writing of most continental philosophers.

It may be that the most strikingly obscure continental writing (e.g., of the later Heidegger and of most major French philosophers since the 1960s) is a form of literary expression, producing a kind of abstract poetry from its creative transformations of philosophical concepts. This would explain the move of academic interest in such work toward English and other language departments. But it is hard to see that there is much of serious philosophical value lost in the clarity of analytic commentaries on Heidegger, Derrida, et al.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending