The Student Room Group

2:2 **** knows what to do - Input appreciated...

Basically, never in my life would I have thought I'd get a 2:2 but here I am. I could list the 'If I did', 'I blame', 'If only...' but pointless to go through all that now.

I studied Accounting with Economics and obtained 56%
1st year: obtained 64%

2nd year: obtained pathetic 51%
After receiving the results I juggled in my mind with doing 2nd year again at another university but just thought obtaining a 65% should really be obtainable. But alas...

3rd year: obtained 60%

I'm looking to do a masters in Marketing but no idea where to really apply...
Anyone who has been in this position what would you recommend?

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

2:2 is not the end of the world.

If the masters is the plan then I would still apply even if they state 2:1. Good references and a good attitude should get you onto the course.

I have a friend who got a 2:2 and went on to study a masters. Just apply. You may need to give some evidence of your capabilities with some work that received decent grades for example.

I had a lecturer describe going on from a 2:2 to a masters as absolutely fine, as whatever skills you still need to develop should click into place during the masters and they just did not click during the undergraduate.

No harm in applying for masters.
Reply 2
It's just whether in the long run it is worthwhile.
Reply 3
It depends on which uni. you are planning to apply, top uni. usually will not take anything under 2:1. With the current economic climate, it's even harder to get into a good uni. for masters.

For example, Bath, Leeds & Durham asked for 2:1 as minimum.

If you couldn't get into a reputable uni. for the course, is it worth paying the £10k

Since you did Accounting & Economics, have you ever considered studying for ACCA ?
It is seriously down to what you want to do.

Whether it's worthwhile is a whole different thing.

5% off a 2:1 is harsh man...
Reply 5
Original post by pinda.college
It is seriously down to what you want to do.

Whether it's worthwhile is a whole different thing.

5% off a 2:1 is harsh man...

Meh, I had 56% overall man so needed really 3% for 2:1

But I've seen worse cases where they have had 58% and still graduated with 2:2

I just wish I performed better at second year - stupidly I really didn't know the implications it would've had. I never had any advice from the uni at all.

I stupidly only found out about the weighting of my degree by 3rd year. Ridiculous.

Weird thing is I have almost 5 modules in which I've got 58 overall.
(edited 11 years ago)
Are retaking modules an option?
Reply 7
Original post by def-JAM-fuzion
Are retaking modules an option?

If only... But everyone would be doing that if that were the case.

In hindsight I should've purposely failed 2nd year. As all my coursework were over 65% from first year to 3rd year (Average).

I just didn't think I'd fail 2nd year so badly.
You got a 2:2?

Spoiler

In all seriousness, as others have said, it's not the end of the world. They'll be looking at the course and the uni more than anything. Masters is always an option.
Reply 9
Reckon you were brave trying to bring up a 51% average from second year.

I've seen people sh*t their pants because they were on a 60% average for second year, literally the pressure in 3rd year is intense as I'm sure you know.

Not the most conducive environment to casually try and average 65% especially when EVERY module/midterm or coursework counts.

Feel bad for you man, but you really should have dossed about in 1st year rather than the 2nd, even though it didn't count as much.
Reply 10
To be honest, it was a silly idea considering the majority of my exams were essay based in final year. I should've taken atleast 1 maths/stats based module.

I received a 78% in one module but it clearly wasn't enough

Strange thing is, no-one advised me whatsoever. Received nothing from my university. It should really be protocol for the university to have a discussion with those who achieved low grades in first and second year - outlining the possible options. Ensuring they are monitored and assigned a advisor who they should report to, something along those lines.

Just feel it's a wasted 3 years, as I know I could've done better - such an easy course, if you remain focused. It's kind of embarrassing.
(edited 11 years ago)
if you are looking at a master, just apply even if they ask for a 2.1. No harm in trying, plus most uni like someone who really wants to study the subject, plus the extra income

Get some work experience from internships and all that jazz.

Rumours have it that after a few years of working your degree becomes less of a worth your working lift takes over when applying to new jobs
You say it was an easy course, were there any other reason behind the 51% in the second year?
Reply 13
My exam technique I feel, it's been a problem ever-since GCSE - where I had A* coursework to later go on to receive a B overall.

If you could see my transcript

My coursework ranged from 65-70% through the entire 3 years. Yet again no advice was given - although I should've been proactive myself.
Reply 14
Original post by Venom123
To be honest, it was a silly idea considering the majority of my exams were essay based in final year. I should've taken atleast 1 maths/stats based module.

Strange thing is, no-one advised me whatsoever. Received nothing from my university. It should really be protocol for the university to have a discussion with those who achieved low grades in first and second year - outlining the possible options. Ensuring they are monitored and assigned a advisor who they should report to, something along those lines.

Just feel it's a wasted 3 years, as I know I could've done better - such an easy course, if you remain focused. It's kind of embarrassing.

Yeah, essays in 3rd year is risky man. Volatile as **** simply because you put too much power in the hand of your marker.

I think I did a similar-ish course to yours? Finance/Accounting/Economics modules, and I always picked the Mathematical modules wherever I could really. Takes out the reliance you have on a lecturer having to give you 'good' mark.

But yeah I think you should most likely apply for a Masters straight away, at the same time don't give up on applying for jobs because I know people who have done the same as you and walked into good jobs. A mate of mine is currently on 29k p/a with a company car and he only job hunted for 3 months. I've seen it too many times.

Finally, I don't think it's your University's responsibility to tell you to buck up though, harsh as it sounds. My Dad's Nigerian, so I'm surprised he didn't throw you a few slaps here and there. :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by DaneCook
Yeah, essays in 3rd year is risky man. Volatile as **** simply because you put too much power in the hand of your marker.

I think I did a similar-ish course to yours? Finance/Accounting/Economics modules, and I always picked the Mathematical modules wherever I could really. Takes out the reliance you have on a lecturer having to give you 'good' mark.

But yeah I think you should most likely apply for a Masters straight away, at the same time don't give up on applying for jobs because I know people who have done the same as you and walked into good jobs. A mate of mine is currently on 29k p/a with a company car and he only job hunted for 3 months. I've seen it too many times.

Finally, I don't think it's your University's responsibility to tell you to buck up though, harsh as it sounds. My Dad's Nigerian, so I'm surprised he didn't throw you a few slaps here and there. :biggrin:

Lol man, I was so scared to show my results that I didn't show him until a week or so before going back to university. Looking back I've made some stupid decisions in regards to university man.

He was a professor in Nigeria as well so would've advised me so well. Countless number of PhD grads in my family aswell - I just wasted resources that others could only dream of having. It's a shame.
Reply 16

I'm not going to barrage you with '2.2 is fine' or '2.2 is awful', I'll leave that to others. However I do wonder why you think the university should have gone head over heels to help you as you were on a 2.2. Do you think every student should get a 2.1+? What would be the point? Universities should surely direct their attention towards those who are failing, not those who are doing ok! The message here is don't blame you university, accept that you didn't perform well enough and learn from it so that you don't make a similar mistake again if you go for masters / professional qualifications.

Also, what was your weighting system? Like 10% first year, 45% second and third year? You'd have got your 2.1 at my university, weightings are 10%, 15% and 75% for final year. That's annoying :frown:

I know it's a bit gutting to miss out on a classification when you're close (I hit 67, 2 off a shiny first), but at the end of the day you've got it now so make do. Make the degree work for you.
Reply 17
Original post by M1011
I'm not going to barrage you with '2.2 is fine' or '2.2 is awful', I'll leave that to others. However I do wonder why you think the university should have gone head over heels to help you as you were on a 2.2. Do you think every student should get a 2.1+? What would be the point? Universities should surely direct their attention towards those who are failing, not those who are doing ok! The message here is don't blame you university, accept that you didn't perform well enough and learn from it so that you don't make a similar mistake again if you go for masters / professional qualifications.

Also, what was your weighting system? Like 10% first year, 45% second and third year? You'd have got your 2.1 at my university, weightings are 10%, 15% and 75% for final year. That's annoying :frown:

I know it's a bit gutting to miss out on a classification when you're close (I hit 67, 2 off a shiny first), but at the end of the day you've got it now so make do. Make the degree work for you.

I'm not blaming the uni at all, If anything it was a passing comment in regards to where improvements could be made in which many students could benefit from.

I was practically 2% from a third, so in reality that's pretty much failure.

I suppose so, just disheartening seeing others getting 2:1s whilst you worked and they partied, and even had the nerve to call you 'sad' for not going out to party with them.

I guess I they got the last laugh.

THe system was 0 for first year, 40% second, 60% third.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I'm not blaming the uni at all, If anything it was a passing comment in regards to where improvements could be made in which many students could benefit from.

I was practically 2% from a third, so in reality that's pretty much failure.

I suppose so, just disheartening seeing others getting 2:1s whilst you worked and they partied, and even had the nerve to call you 'sad' for not going out to party with them.

I guess I they got the last laugh.

THe system was 0 for first year, 40% second, 60% third.

They only get the last laugh if you let them.

Let's be honest, we're all graduates here, so lets ask some blunt questions; What real value is there in a degree (i.e. how much do your really feel will be applicable to real life)? Frankly, sod all unless it's a select few vocational degrees. How much will a degree matter 5 years down the road when you're an experience professional? Not a bit, just a CV decoration. A degree has one purpose IMO (unless you love the subject or something), we go to university and get a degree in order to land a good job at the end of it. That's the truth of the matter, so however you look at it job > degree.

If you want the last laugh, you get out there and you get the best job you can. A 2.2 hurts your prospects, but it doesn't eliminate your chances by a long shot. Do your research and find the companies that don't demand a 2.1. Take Unilever for example (if you haven't heard of them, they make literally everything). Unilever is a blue chip global company which offers a wide array of graduate career paths and great prospects, not to mention they rank highly on the times top 100 graduate employers. They require a 2.2. You may not be interested in that particular company (although they do have a finance scheme), but it's just an example of what is available out there (I sound like a Unilever recruiter lol). To be honest if you land a company like Unilever, you'll have done better then the vast majority of 2.1/1st holders, so who will have the last laugh then?

Job > degree, if you want redemption and that 'feel good' factor back, land yourself a great job :smile:
Reply 19
Don't even think about doing an Msc Economics with a 2:2. Maybe an MA, but even that is pushing it...

Accounting I'm not sure about, should be okay but whats the point when you can just do ACCA somewhere?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending