The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6860
Original post by Frube
With the other Piigs still in the Euro, it cant appreciate that much. Going long euro/majors makes sense but I wouldn't do the second part.

In the turmoil an exit would create Southern Europe bond yields would increase while economies contract. It could also spark bank runs. This makes it very likely that more bailouts would be required.
Of course that's speculation and it looks like ND will win.
Reply 6861
Original post by mucgoo
In the turmoil an exit would create Southern Europe bond yields would increase while economies contract. It could also spark bank runs. This makes it very likely that more bailouts would be required.
Of course that's speculation and it looks like ND will win.

Its was widely speculated that greece would leave so it surely to some extent must already be priced in.

If it did leave the chaos it would cause would drive home reality in the Piigs/Piis who would probably redouble there austerity efforts, maybe giving Germany a renewed feeling on eurobonds/further help ?

Although as you say who can speculate on what the rising costs of borrowing would mean.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6862
"Pasok has already said that it won't join a coalition unless Syriza is involved. So a lengthy period of talks and negotiation looks set to start. New Democracy, if they win, as looks likely, will have three days to attempt to form a government."

Looks like ND are predicted a majority with PASOK but the above changes things.

"Syriza has said tonight's result is a victory of sorts as it will allow the party to play the role of a strong opposition. But it has also ruled out the prospect of joining a coalition (it was itself a coalition until a few weeks ago, when it registered as a single party to be eligible for the 50-seat bonus should it win the election)."

Hmm, bloody Greeks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6863
Just out of interest, has anyone left iii since they announced their fees? If so where have you jumped ship to?
Reply 6864
Hey Guy, i'm 18 year old and planning on getting into stocks & shares, could someone please recommend an established platform to invest on, I was thinking Barclays MarketMaster, whats your opinions?...
The purpose of intraday trading is to register small profits which can be average out at the end of market sessions. Investor need not wait to book the profits only when there is considerable difference between the last traded prices.
Reply 6866
Anyone interested in GKP needs to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNrfI6q8Kgo
Reply 6867
Original post by Tumpelo
Anyone interested in GKP needs to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNrfI6q8Kgo

:biggrin:

GKP will deliver one day, we all know the oil is there, its just a matter of playing the waiting game :smile:
Reply 6868
what do people think about nokia shares? considering that their lumia phone has had raving reviews
Original post by adzyc
what do people think about nokia shares? considering that their lumia phone has had raving reviews

Avoid like the plague. Nokia are dying, just like RIM.

Do people think the worst is over for Barclays? There is a lot of potential in them shares.
bit of a nooby question but with the standard T+3 settlement is the price you get the stock at the one from when you first select it, or the price from when stocks and cash are exchanged after 3 days?
Reply 6871
Original post by sheffers1
bit of a nooby question but with the standard T+3 settlement is the price you get the stock at the one from when you first select it, or the price from when stocks and cash are exchanged after 3 days?

When you sell them, that's the price you get.
I also agree with that statement i would like to, but I'm an complete newbie! Plus I need money, which may help...
Equity Tips
Reply 6873
Original post by Point!
Just out of interest, has anyone left iii since they announced their fees? If so where have you jumped ship to?

Will be moving over to Barclays soon
Original post by Point!

What fees do you speak of?
Just seen III charge £20 per quarter now, my original £1011 in shares are now worth a pathetic ~£225. I've basically written the money off and am just going to keep them indefinitely and hope for the best. I'd really rather not lose another £80 a year to III anyone got any suggestions for me? It's two companies and one is a US OTC if that makes a difference.
Thanks.
Reply 6876
Original post by theronkinator
Just seen III charge £20 per quarter now, my original £1011 in shares are now worth a pathetic ~£225. I've basically written the money off and am just going to keep them indefinitely and hope for the best. I'd really rather not lose another £80 a year to III anyone got any suggestions for me? It's two companies and one is a US OTC if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

I'm going to call III and request the certificates for the shares, so basically you still hold them but are not paying a charge for having an account. However when it comes to selling the shares you will have to pay a charge.
Original post by rye225
I'm going to call III and request the certificates for the shares, so basically you still hold them but are not paying a charge for having an account. However when it comes to selling the shares you will have to pay a charge.

I wish I could do that, some of mine are American and OTA and keep changing the name and consolidating the numbers so not something I could do myself. :frown:
Reply 6878
Anyone still in rrl? Theres was a Q and A today. Talk about consolidation and share buyback. I have totally lost faith in this company. PL is a douche.
Does anyone see any potential in Barclays right now? Seeing as their shares have dropped heavily, would it be a good idea to buy in and play the waiting game for their shares to climb again when the dust settles?

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending