The Student Room Group

Are dictaphones important?

Just want to find out if its worth taking a dictaphone to lectures?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 1
It depends on whether you have the discipline to listen to lecture again. If you are buying a dictaphone, make sure it has indexing facility so you can identify parts of the lecture which were of particular interest.

I found it useful for revision lectures. But for general 3 hour lectures, it was better to make notes as well and use the recording to clarify certain points.
Reply 2
Original post by edjunkie
It depends on whether you have the discipline to listen to lecture again. If you are buying a dictaphone, make sure it has indexing facility so you can identify parts of the lecture which were of particular interest.

I found it useful for revision lectures. But for general 3 hour lectures, it was better to make notes as well and use the recording to clarify certain points.

Thanks... could you please recommend a specific make or brand?

Reply 3
Original post by ken2
Just want to find out if its worth taking a dictaphone to lectures?

Also, hugely depends on what subject you're studying. Essentially useless for maths/science I would say.

If you have a smart phone, you can just get a dictophone app.
Reply 4
Thats very true thanks.

Reply 5
I study biology and while I found mine useful for catching up with fast-speaking lecturers or little details that I'd missed, I didn't find it really helped that much. I'm not sure I'm going to use it for my final year.
Reply 6
Can anyone recommend a good Dictaphone to use forlectures? i will also be taking notes, but want to use this as a backup toreview what the lecture said.

Reply 7
It appears that many universities record their lectures (audio or video) and put them on the intranet

It may be worth finding out if your course does this
Reply 8
Original post by edjunkie
It depends on whether you have the discipline to listen to lecture again.

This basically.
Original post by ken2
Thanks... could you please recommend a specific make or brand?

Olympus
Reply 10
I am going to uni in sept. A few days ago i bought a sony Icd px312 because it reviewd well on amazon.
Reply 11
Just noticed it has gone up in price since i bought it...
Reply 12
I think Olympus are a decent make of dictaphones.

I find it very useful to record all my lectures (Psychology undergraduate) and then write them up word for word afterwards. I find it really difficult writing down stuff in lectures as I can't write that quickly and my hearing isn't amazing so I just end up falling behind! It was all very useful come revision time being able to hear the lectures again. Some lecturers record their lectures though, so you might not need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending